All reviews complimentary mini bar aromatherapy toiletries bunk beds aromatherapy associates nespresso machine overlooking the square attention to detail dab radio fresh milk house room little touches boutique hotel free standing bath through secret escapes high standard amazing hotel rain shower
Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

We booked here for our wedding anniversary. The service and communication before we even got there was excellent. The room was good and service once we were there was also good although the only slight downside was the breakfast. Breakfast is good if you want a cooked breakfast but the choice for a continental breakfast was a bit limited. We had dinner one night which had great service and the food was absolutely fantastic. As it was our anniversary we were given a couple of glasses of prosecco free which was nice. The hotel is expensive but it is in a tourist area and the service is worth it.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Lyndmar
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

We popped in on the off chance they had a table, the lovely lady front of house did her best to find a table for the time we wanted even though they were pretty booked up. We returned at the booked time, didn’t have to wait, table was ready.
The menu was varied, there was loads for me to choose from which isn’t always the way, I’m very picky!
The restaurant was full and busy but all the staff were on it.
The decor and lighting is spot on.
We had a lovely gin cocktail off the menu which was reasonable priced.
The food was incredible!
My other half had the pork belly which was superb, not a bit of fat on it.
I had a starter as a main and a side, omg how the chef got so much flavours out of tomato, mozzarella and Parma ham is ridiculous!!
Richard the manager was such a lovely guy, nothing was too much trouble.
I would highly recommend the old stocks inn restaurant and will definitely go back when we next visit stow on the wold, in fact we would probably stay at the old stocks inn!

Date of stay: September 2018
1  Thank Wolvescat
Reviewed 7 September 2018

We last visited The Old Stocks five years ago for a meal whilst staying nearby. We were so enchanted with this wonderful place which was so full of character, that we vowed to return and stay, which we did, last month. How disappointed we were to find that the interior had been completely changed - “modernised” - such a shame, it’s heart has been ripped out . The staff were, however, very pleasant and the food - dinner and breakfast- was quite delicious. We stayed in one of the Courtyard Rooms which was modern and comfortable, but was it worth the price we paid - I don’t think so. We didn’t see any of the bed rooms in the main building, so don’t know if they have also been modernised. Sorry to have to give negative comments, but it wasn’t as we had expected.

1  Thank Ida R
Jim C, Manager at The Old Stocks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2018

Dear Ida

I’m sorry we didn’t meet expectations on your return visit, things have changed significantly over the last 5 years following a much needed refurbishment. I’m surprised you missed this when booking your room via our website, we display images of every room alongside a complete virtual tour of the hotel to try and avoid such unexpected surprises.

I’m glad that the staff, dinner and breakfast were well received but it’s a shame you still felt we only warranted 3 out of 5.

Many of our customers appreciate the detail and thought we put into our sympathetic refurbishment but it’s not for everyone. If you do return to the area I suggest choosing one of the more traditional hotels in the Stow area that maybe better suited to your taste.

Regards

Jim

Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

We decided to get out of the hustle and bustle of London for a couple of days. My wife is 7 months pregnant and needed some R and R

We booked a garden room for 2 nights as we have a dog and the rooms are ideal for the garden.

Room was spacious and comfortable. We had dinner and breakfast in the conservatory as they allowed us to have the dog with us which was great. Food was fabulous. Service was great in all aspects of the stay.

Reviewed 6 September 2018

Had a lovely stay at the Old Stocks Inn for my partners birthday, I booked direct with the hotel due to the fact it included breakfast and a complimentary drink on arrival which was nice. I loved the room, we had a standard room which was a large enough size, it was really clean and had a lovely bathroom. I really liked the extra touch of the included mini bar and the nespresso machine. We were also contacted previously to ask what our favourite drinks were so we were given tokens of these in our room to claim for the evening. The only small things I would say is that I'd requested something as a extra touch for my partners birthday as we were having a meal here, unfortunately nothing arrived but we did get prosecco at breakfast time so that was nice. The meal unfortunately I didn't rate, I thought it was a little style over substance, it was nicely presented and the staff were friendly but I just thought the overall meal lacked taste and for the price I was disappointed. It was a nice experience but I probably wouldn't eat here again, but it's very highly reviewed on here so perhaps we chose the wrong things. The breakfast however was really nice, it took a while to take our order for hot food but it came quite quickly afterwards - the eggs benedict with bacon was nice and fresh. Overall I would definitely stay in this hotel, it has a lovely boutique style and I love the extra touches, I just probably wouldn't eat in the restaurant.

Date of stay: July 2018