All reviews complimentary mini bar aromatherapy toiletries bunk beds aromatherapy associates nespresso machine overlooking the square dab radio house room fresh milk boutique hotel high standard through secret escapes amazing hotel free standing bath pizza oven rain shower little touches
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

I stayed at The Old Stocks Inn last week for 4 nights with my 2 young daughters and their grandmother. We stayed at The Bolt Hole, the hotel’s newly renovated 3 bedroom cottage situated just around the corner from the main hotel.
Everything was amazing, check- in was helpful and friendly - the cottage has been exceptionally renovated it’s both beautiful with premium home furnishings and fittings, and practical, with sky tv, a Nintendo (which the kids loved) and a great outdoor terrace. The management had left 2 bottles of wine and a 4 fantastic handmade cakes in the kitchen as well as milk and tea, coffee, biscuits. We didn’t cook but had we wanted to there was everything provided. We did use the washer drier which was great and quick.
Breakfast at the hotel was included in our rate - again it was faultless with a very well appointed buffet, bottomless coffee and tea, and a menu of hot breakfasts that catered for everyone - the girls loved the crispy bacon which they ordered every day with a variety of side options - nothing was too much trouble.
Even after we had checked out the exceptional service continued with the offer of a free drink for everyone from the cafe for the journey.
I will put a separate review of the restaurant but unsurprisingly in the context of everything else it was amazing with fabulous modern dishes expertly crafted, a great affordable wine list, a cocktail list that wouldn’t look out of place in New York and kids food that my daughters enjoyed so much they ate twice as much as usual!
I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank DUBAIPUBLISHER
Charlotte T, General Manager at The Old Stocks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Reviewed 10 July 2018

We originally had booked a room for 2 nights but unfortunately were called back to London after the first night. I was fully prepared having to pay for the second night as we cancelled outside the usual cancellation period but the wonderful lady at reception immediately offered to move the 2nd night to a different date so that we wouldn't lose any money. We immediately booked another stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary at The Old Stock Inn and we can't wait to come back!
The rooms are very stylish and the Garden Rooms are out to the back so very quiet. The breakfast was fantastic too with lots of choice. Very much looking forward to visiting soon again!!!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TanjaJ2010

Reviewed 9 July 2018

We went there with some friends and sat in their comfortable garden with pre dinner drinks. The food was excellent and at all times the staff ensured we had everything we wanted. Highly recommended for both the food and the friendly attentive staff.

Room Tip: We did not stay here but had a fantastic evening and meal.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 July 2018

Stayed for two nights....in the heatwave! This meant that the room got very hot and sleep was rather difficult. Clearly the hotel cannot be held responsible for the weather, and a fan was provided, but the fact that the room was rather small, did contribute to the lack of airflow.

We like the mix of the traditional building with the modern quirky décor, and the layout of the hotel is a very clever conversion of an old building. Our room had a view over the market place, and a modern, clean shower room.

We ate in one night and found the food to be of very good quality and wonderfully presented...perhaps the portions could have been a little more generous. However, our enjoyment of the meal was marred by the oppressive heat in the dining room. It was a very hot evening, but the room only had one small window which opened, and there was no fan to help the situation.

On the plus side, the outside seating area was great for cooling down with evening drinks, and we enjoyed a light lunch from the tea room the following day.

I note that another reviewer had problems regarding breakfast payments. We had booked the room with breakfast included, but were twice asked to pay extra for this. We didn't have to do so in the end, but be prepared to stand your ground.

Overall, a very pleasant hotel.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Felt a little put-off when I was scolded for booking thru hotels.ca rather than directly thru the hotels website and for that reason breakfast is not included. I am confused as to why I am penalized for booking through a third party if the hotel chooses to place their hotel on said website... would u like customers or not? Price quoted on hotels own website is the same as I paid but I wasn't allowed to have breakfast without incurring an additional charge?

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elleniad
Charlotte T, General Manager at The Old Stocks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Dear Ellen,

Please let me extend my sincerest apologies if you felt that the way our policy regarding bookings for our hotel received through online travel agents was communicated to you and subsequently impacted on your overall customer service experience. I shall take this up with my reception team. It is never our intention to upset our customers.
We are delighted that you chose to book The Old Stocks Inn, but we do like to highlight upon departure the perks of booking directly with us as opposed to through online travel agents as we are committed to ensuring that our guests have the best possible experience.

As a small family owned business we find commissions payable for online travel agents are quite high and sometimes do little more than just introduce you to our business and charge us 10-15% for the privilege. We want to do our best to ensure our guests come directly so we can reduce costs that way and pass more onto you, our valued customer. We'd rather give the £20-£30 commission payable back to you to have breakfast and a free drink than pay to an OTA.
I think you will find that this policy is being adapted more and more in other small hotels as most OTA's are very aggressive in how they try and take business for their own- i.e. they rank their website higher than our own on google etc, promote cheaper rates which are not the case etc.
At the moment though, it is necessary for us to give availability to OTA's until the market appreciates the benefits of booking direct with any small business.

We believe that we are fair and transparent in advertising our booking direct policy and unfortunately advertising on OTA's. I hope you do try to understand why we try to convert you to book directly for return stays as we are only trying to ensure that you have a real 'Old Stocks' experience from the on-set of booking until departure.

I am always available should you like to discuss. Please feel free to call me on 01451 830666 or email: info@oldstocksinn.com.