“Not the best service in Stow!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Huffkins

Huffkins
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 21
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Huffkins is a bit unusual. We are an independent family business with our own craft bakery and a heritage that stretches back to 1890. Established in Burford, at the heart of the Cotswolds, by Mr Titcombe our breads and cakes were originally delivered by donkey and cart. Given the impracticalities of donkeys we have modernised some things over the years - but we still bake everything by hand. Our bakers work through the night to create everything from the bread for our sandwiches to the fresh cream cakes in our shops. We believe very firmly in sourcing ingredients locally wherever possible. Now whilst there is clearly not an abundance of tuna fish in the local rivers there are surprisingly few things that do not grow in the Cotswolds. And when we do grow something it tends to be good. Very good in fact. Our chefs take a keen interest in every ingredient that enters our kitchens from field to plate. So when, for instance, you ask for a sausage bap at Huffkins you can expect Cotswold pork sausages made by WJ Castles of Burford to our own traditional recipe in a handmade bap from our bakery made with FWP Matthew's flour from Shipton under Wychwood, served with Huffkins spicy tomato ketchup made at our own kitchen in Stow-on-the-Wold. We believe in real Cotswold food. Even our teas, which we buy directly from the finest small producers around the world are blended with local ingredients including Cotswold fruits and lavender from Snowshill near Broadway. The only thing we cannot get to grow locally is good staff - so regrettably you are stuck with whatever we could find. Many have been with us an awfully long time. Too long perhaps. Yet all jokes apart many of the team hold awards for 3, 5, 10 and even 15 years of service. Just look out for coloured lapel pins if you fancy spotting the old-timers.
Essex
“Not the best service in Stow!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Visited this tea room on a recent visit, service poor didn't get what we ordered, staff appeared unconcerned and indifferent. Shame as I had high expectations and chose this tea room over others which looked more inviting. Will know better next time.

Mark G, Manager at Huffkins, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Lizzyrick
Thank you for your recent posting. I can only apologise for the poor service you obviously received.
As a company, we are reliant on return business as well as passing trade. We do pride ourselves on a quality standard of service and offer the customer what they want and not what we want to give them. If you would like to call me and furnish me with further details, please feel free to do so. please avoid 11a.m-14.00 p.m

Mark Gregory
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Wonderful host”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

The food is high standard in spite of the place always being busy. The gentleman in charge (owner, possibly) was a great host with a wonderful sense of humour.
We always shop in the Bakery before we leave.

Visited July 2012
Mark G, Manager at Huffkins, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Daphne
Thank you for your recent review. I am not the owner, I am the Manager, but its always great to get positive feed back on the food, service, ambience etc etc .
I have also shown the team your review, just to prove to them that i am not the ogre they percieve me as !! Some even call me Shrek, which is a touch harsh! I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please do make yourself known to me on your return.

Mark
Bromsgrove
“A Bit Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Having visited the Stow branch of Huffkins last year and enjoyed our meal, we made it our first choice on our return to Stow. As is sometimes the case with going back to somewhere we have previously enjoyed, it turned out to be something of a disappointment.

The service was OK. Despite being told that there might be some delay as "everyone has come in at the same time" (it was 1.00 pm!), we were seated straightaway and service was reasonably quick but I couldn't say was particularly friendly or welcoming. My wife opted for a quiche and salad accompanied by an enormous slab of bread which must have been more than two or three inches thick. She said it was nice but far more than she could eat. I had the bacon and tomato bap which was all right but small by comparison and just plonked on the plate with no garnish so no marks for presentation. There was no sauce or even the offer of any.

We thought our meals were overpriced with the quiche almost £8 and the bacon bap £4.75.
Our coffees were £1.99 each so we paid almost £17 for our two light lunches. For this sort of price, we would have expected a little more finesse and refinement such as brown sugar on the table for our coffees.

All in all, our experience wasn't such that it would encourage us to return. There is plenty of competition in Stow with a whole host of eateries which we will probably look to try on our next visit in a search for better value. We moved on to Burford where our cream tea experience at the Huffkins branch there suggests that as the chain expands, the quality is beginning to suffer with less competitive prices.

Mark G, Manager at Huffkins, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Demoncodger
Thank you for your recent review of Huffkins Stow on the Wold.
Constructive criticism is always welcome, if we can use those comments to improve on service, ambience, food sevice etc.
Your comments have been acknowledged and will be reiterated to the relevant areas of the operation here in Stow. Thank you once again.
Should you visit us again please make yourself known to me.

London
“Lovely!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I've been promising myself a visit to Stow for years and finally made it last week! I wasn't disappointed and I had a marvellous cream tea in Huffkins! The young waitress was very helpful and friendly and, although the staff were clearing up at the end of the day by the time I'd eaten my scones and drained my teapot, they were at pains to tell me not to rush. Altogether very enjoyable... and the loaf of bread I purchased in the bakery to bring home was also lovely.

, Manager at Huffkins, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Seagull4a
Thank you so much for your recent review, positive feedback to our team is very important to us as a company and more importantly the team member involved (sorry no name was mentioned). Should you return to Stow, please make yourself known to me.
Kind regards
Broadway, United Kingdom
“My favourite in the Cotswolds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

I am lucky to live in the Cotswolds and regular visit Huffkins in Stow. The staff are helpful friendly and efficient. The food (a good choice) is excellant. There is a slight similarity to Betty's Cafe (in York and Harrogate, although no piano here at Huffkins!), perhaps its the atmosphere or the Lloyd Loom seats. A choice of eating areas and a great selection of breads, savouries, snacks and cake to takeaway. The fresh cream meringues are absolutely yummy! Enjoy.

, Manager at Huffkins, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear Perky or Pikey
Thank you so much for your recent review, it has been read by all the team and it is not the first time we have been likened to Betty's. one point i must question, Helpful,Friendly and efficient staff?! are you sure it was Huffkins in Stow? Have you read the back of the menu, warning customers about the staff here!?
Seriously, i have a fantastic team and could not do the job without them.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon, pleasee make yourself known to me.
Mark