Grey's Hotel
Elysian Hotel(Brighton)
Kempton House(Brighton)
Legends Hotel(Brighton)
  • Beachfront
All reviewswhite company toiletriesb bcoffee machineeggs benedictfour poster bedfull englishbreakfast was deliciousa great place to staystreet parkingshort walklovely hotelgreat hostsperfect staymini fridgegreat weekendfresh fruitwould definitely stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Stopped for 2 nights with my husband. Parking is awkward (but that's Brighton for you) but found a spot a street over and were able to buy a parking permit from the hotel for our Stay. One less thing to worry about. We stopped in a double room which was small and it was a bit awkward having the bed against a bit of wall, but there's only so much you can do with the space in these houses I guess. But it was warm and clean and a comfy place to rest our heads. We only had breakfast on one morning (as we were out exploring) but there was a good selection of hot and cold options, you wouldn't go hungry. Hotel is well located. 10-15 min walk to the Lanes etc and plenty of pubs/bars restaurants on the doorstep.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

This B&B seems to have the hallmarks of a very good quality set up but it sadly fell short on a number of occasions. I had read the reviews before booking so was confident that we'd have an excellent stay but that failed to happen. It started going downhill before we had even arrived. I had asked on the booking form, sent messages through the booking agents website and left voicemails but didn't get a response at all until I eventually got someone to answer the phone.
Gaining entrance to the property was equally tricky. I tried both doorbells before eventually using the knocker. When I did the owner seemed quite upset that I had done this and quizzed me on whether I had thought to use the doorbell, when I said I did he then went to try it himself and looked at me in such a way that he had proven his point. This was the ideal time for him to introduce himself but this never happened, not the greatest of welcomes after a cross country drive through the middle of the beast from the east and storm Emma. This lack of courtesy or customer care is one of the reasons I didn't bother to express any disatisfaction at any of the other issues during the stay (after all, that tends to be the stock response, note they only tend to respond to negative reviews, no customer care)

The space in the room was fairy well used but I would question the location of the coffee machine behind the bed. It did mean I had to wait till t'other half was awake to make a brew.

My half of the bed was very comfortable but my wife's half looked like it had taken some punishment over the years and had sagged considerably.

The bathroom was clean but the shower head was far too low to make it comfortable for anyone over 6 foot. The supply of hot water was unpredictable and as seems to be standard these days the hot and cold were back to front on the basin. The thermostatic valve on the shower required the skillset of a master safe cracker to use safely.

The white company toiletries in the bathroom were a nice touch and gave the impression that they wanted you to feel treated but the 2 KitKat's that were left seemed really out of place. Was this a subliminal 2 fingers to their guests?

We didn't go for breakfast the first morning we were there and we got the third degree about our whereabouts and movements. Not sure if it's the done thing or not to let your hosts know if you are going to skip breakfast but the poor welcome negated any requirement to us showing any courtesy in that regard. Needless to say that both seemed annoyed at our absence. The second day we did go for breakfast. It was an ok "full" English breakfast, (missing a black pudding, fried bread and hash browns to be considered full) with a side portion of ridicule at my accent.

As we were getting dressed on the last day, a black vest we had stored in one of the cupboards came out covered in weeks and weeks worth of dust.

I don't want to take away from the positive reviews that have been posted on here over the years, I guess even some of the best have an off day.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
greyshotel, Owner at Grey's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Well, I was going to answer each point of this peculiar review, but in the end decided not to. It is complete nonsense from beginning to end.

Terry Sessions.

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

We booked for 4 nights to celebrate a birthday.
The hotel hosts were friendly and helpful.
The hotel itself is beautiful. Our room was spacious and beautifully decorated.
Breakfast was delicious every morning and we tried a number of things from the menu. All of the food was tasty and clearly high quality.
The bed was super comfortable.
Parking was (as expected ) a little expensive but we were aware of this and managed to park pretty close to the hotel.
Brighton was full of great stuff to do.
All in all we had a fabulous trip and the hotel was great.
Would not hesitate to highly recommend

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LorraineT43
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Drew the short straw with this small dark room with tiny shower room. Excellent breakfast, good quality ingredients which were well cooked and presented. Hotel was tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. On street parking was difficult. Very hard to find spaces near to hotel. Bars and restaurants near by and 15 minute walk to city centre.

Room Tip: Do not choose twin room and ask if there is better available
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Greys for two nights. The host is super friendly and the breakfast is exceptionally good! The rooms are very spacesious, comfortable and also very clean. We will definitely stay there again on our next trip to brighton.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family