“Harvey’s Mild”

The Lord Nelson Inn
Ranked #18 of 129 Nightlife in Brighton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A lovely traditional pub in the North Laine, Brighton with an extensive range of real ales from Harvey's Brewery Lewes, and a very traditional pub menu, which is available every day from 12.00 until 9.00pm.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Have to say I do like this unspoilt back street local close to Brighton railway station especially if I can get a seat in the comfy front saloon bar section, which I did on my latest visit. The pub is divided into two rooms with the main bar on the right which extends quite a long way back and a smaller room to the left. There is a lot of interesting stuff on the walls including cigarette card collections and old black and white photos of Brighton and Hove Albion players.
The Lord Nelson is one of a number of Harvey’s pubs in Brighton but probably along with the nearby Mitre Tavern is one of the best traditional comfortable pubs and provides the best selection of Harvey’s beers on and you can quite reliably find one of their milds as I did last week when the Harveys Dark Mild was on.

Yvonne R, General Manager at The Lord Nelson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hi Steve, thank you so much for the lovely review, glad you liked the pub and its décor, and of course the Ale, hope you will visit us again soon.

Regards

in 4 reviews
"pop"
"laines"

Reviewed 15 March 2018

This pub has always been worth a long visit, and is much improved since it's recent refit, there are lots of different eating/ drinking areas for everybody. I've eaten here a few times, food is typical pub grub, slightly smaller portions than I'd like at times but nice and tasty, and after all this is Brighton! Some gripes though, and I know these are not just personal: the beer is Harveys and therefore almost always FANTASTIC but the pub often run out of seasonal ales. Bonfire Boy coming to an end after just a few days? Winter ale gone before xmas..? Also, the young bar staff are helpful and attentive but the music they play is chosen for their pleasure, and it is too loud. Several times I have witnessed people asking the staff turn down the volume, and that includes the Albion mob. My partner won't visit here again til this is sorted, techno pop is a bit much! The pub attracts mainly an older crowd who have come to socialise with friends, howsabout music which is more age-appropriate and at background volume? There aren't many teenagers here, and besides, we've got more money to spend than they have!

Reviewed 19 February 2018

We came here on a Sunday when we hadn't planned lunch but fancied a roast. So many places are booked solid on Sundays but there were plenty of tables in the Lord Nelson and they are dog friendly which was a plus for us. The staff and landlady were friendly and welcoming. The food was good, though not the best we've had in Brighton where standards are high for Sunday lunch. There was an irritating, foul mouthed group on the table next to us which was distracting though I can't blame the pub for that. Decor is a bit dark. Feels a bit more of a traditional boozer which some people will love. Handy for the station.

Yvonne R, Manager at The Lord Nelson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Thank you very much for your nice review, so sorry you had to experience the loud people at the other table, its not the usual for us, unless its a football day of course, Sunday's are usually really mellow and laid back, so maybe you can come and see us another time in the near future.

Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

Good local pub good beer and friendly service from the bar staff under new management making a great impression always friendly and on the ball

Yvonne R, General Manager at The Lord Nelson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2018

Hi Robert, thank you so much for the lovely review, glad you noticed the changes I have made since I took over the management, don't forget to come and see us again soon...

Best Regards

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 January 2018

Today we visited the Lord Nelson for a roast, we were so looking forward to it but sadly came away a little disappointed. We last had a roast last April and it was th best I'd ever had, unfortunately today wasn't so good. The roast itself was very tasty and what we had was cooked well but........ it was very small, we were still hungry after we had cleared our plates. I love veg and sadly we had to share a very small bowl of mixed veg which only included 2 carrots, a spoon of coliflower cheese and red cabbage......this is not enough for two people. My husband had the pork and it was ridiculously small with just a tiny piece of crackling (his favourite part) i missed the enormous roast we had last April and the feeling of being so full that you need to sleep it off. Still a nice roast but not such good value for money as before...... for £13 each I would expect slightly more. Apart from that the staff and service was great as always.........Please bring back your big portions and the option to order sides (more veg) especially if you're charging the same price as before. Overall we love The Lord Nelson but will think twice about the roast.

Hi I am sorry your experience wasn't as good as it should have been, I have spoken to the Chef and the kitchen team, and we ensure you now that our portions are much bigger, I hope you will come back and see us soon , so we can make it up to you for the bad experience you had before. I greatly appreciate the feedback though, and we have acted on it, and everybody is happy now.
Hopefully we will see you soon.

Best regards