“Old fashioned seaside hotel”
Review of The Brighton Hotel

The Brighton Hotel
Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Euroland
“Old fashioned seaside hotel”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Room - I had a single room (423), with an uninspiring view, that had to be reached by going up and down small flights of stairs and through several fire doors (not easy with a suitcase). The floor had a definite slant (so much so that I tended roll to one side of the bed)! Windows badly fitting, decor tatty. Very little space. On the plus side, it was very quiet and the bed comfortable (apart from the quirky slant).

Hotel in general - excellent location, very friendly and helpful staff.

Breakfast (with a choice from menu) - very good. I recommend the kippers!

Overall, despite the poor room, it was a pleasant enough stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Indonesian first
Southampton
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed here for one night and would review the Hotel as average. The main reception and Bar area are really nice/ smart with nice helpful reception staff. To get to some of the rooms it is a bit of a maze including mine, but that is the nature of the building. Rooms are what you would expect for the money although on the small side with the double bed being cosy. Rooms are fine for the money I paid, if I wanted a posher room then I would pay more and go to a different hotel. But no complaints really. Location is great being right on the seafront. If you wanted to use the carpark then arrive early or book if that is possible as the places are limited being a very small car park.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights on business and my first impressions on entering the hotel were that it is very nice. The reception and bar area are nicely decorated and are modern with a great view of the sea. The website pictures of the bedrooms were quite nice so I was expecting my room to be of the same quality as the reception/bar area. I was disappointed. Firstly I was told I could take the lift to my room on the third floor. This was true...however when I reached the third floor I found that my room was up another flight of stairs, along a corridor and then down a flight of stairs - not easy if you have a lot of luggage. When I entered my room I found the decor to be tired and frankly quite grim. The room itself was very basic and rather oddly the floor was so slanted you could put a ball on the floor and it would roll to the other end of the room without any assistance. The bathroom was so small I had to sit side saddle on the toilet. The shower was more like a sprinkler and had only two temperatures - scalding or freezing. The windows in my room were single glazed and rattled a lot with the wind however I di have a lovely sea view and thick curtains to keep the draught out overnight. I can only really say two good things about my room - the tv has freeview and the room has free wifi which worked really well.
Finally the hotel car park is really small with about 12 bays. Getting in and out was a total nightmare as there was not much room for manouvre, however at £15 for 24 hours it pretty good value compared to the public car parks in the area.
In all, the hotel was adequate for my needs but I doubt I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
rugby
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed here for 5 days and nights from the 9th April to 14th April 2012 for a after wedding weekend. the room we had was 214 and was on the second floor. what 1st struck me was the pleasent reception staff, then next the large sofa facing the window in our room and the fantastic view out of the window with the view of the west pier and band stand.the bed was super comfortable and pillows soft like ducks feather. me and my partner though the room spacious enough and the bathroom was clean with a bath and shower combo.
They cleaned our room everyday and fresh towels were left. The breakfast was also lovely with options of Pancakes, Traditional breakfast, salmon and scrambled eggs and Granola and yogurt aswell as the buffet.

Room Tip: beach view is worth the little extra
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

For the price we paid booking last minute for a one night stay, this was excellent value.
The hotel is a bit tired, but it is spotlessly clean, rooms are welcoming enough and the bed was comfortable.
I thought breakfast was very nice as you can make a choice from the menu instead of choosing from a stale looking buffet. I had scrambled egg with smoked salmon and my boyfriend had pancakes with fruit and they were both really nice.
My only tip is to be aware there is normally a last minute rush at 9.15 which can mean waiting in the bar area for a table to be free. This isn't great if you are rushing.
I was also impressed as I managed to leave a pair of boots behind, I paid for these to be posted back and they arrived the next day.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple