“No hot water, dirty and noisy!”
Review of Gullivers Hotel

Gullivers Hotel
Ranked #74 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“No hot water, dirty and noisy!”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night as I had a meeting at the University of Sussex the next day. The room was a single room, which was very small but that wasn't the problem really as I didn't stay long. There were other bigger problems:

1. The tv was broken and when I asked about it, they came to my room tried to fix it but basically told me that there's nothing that could be done.
2. There was no hot water in the shower at night!!
3. There was a kettle for coffee/ tea in the room, but it was incredibly dirty and definitely couldn't be used!
4. There was no soundproofing at the rooms. When I tried to sleep at about 24:00, the people staying next door came back to their room and started chatting. Even though they were just talking normaly I could hear everything and really couldn't sleep!

I'm really surprised that people have written so good reviews about this hotel. I'm sorry, but I'm not going there ever again.

Room Tip: If you want hot water in the shower, a clean kettle and a quiet night sleep, definitely don't ch...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank EricaD568
GulliversNS, Manager at Gullivers Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I have addressed your issues with our Management team who have also offered up their apologies. We did have an issue with Hot Water on the night of your stay, and unfortunately it was not predicated and caused mutliple guest issues of which we could not immediately resolve, and I am sorry if this was of inconvenience to you.

As for the other issues, our maintenance team have already resolved the issues in the room after your stay, and I am sorry that they were not picked up prior to your arrival.

We cannot get it 100% right every time, and it was apparent that we were below standard on this occasion. I do wish you had contacted us in the morning to let us know the issues you had, so that we could have offered something to your self as some form of compensation for your stay, however you did not, and it is a shame you chose instead to right such a review.

As you can see from other reviews on this site, most of our Guest's enjoy our service and standards, and I do hope that you choose to try us again so that we can show you the standards we aim to achieve.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Channel Islands
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Very good b&b just near the pier. Walking distance to the lanes and shops and close to bars, etc. Staff are very friendly and couldn't do more for us! Rooms were lovely and clean and had tea/coffee and other little extras you would only expect from a larger hotel. Overall, lovely stay and i would most def recommend to groups/couples.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank jacks1971
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and your kind words - we pride ourselves on the level of service and product we supply, and I am so glad that it ticked all the boxes for yourselves.

I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.
UK
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel during a weekend break to Brighton for a hen party, 6 travelled and we had 3 rooms. Firstly the location is excellent and it's a short walk to the sea, pier and all the nightlife. We booked this hotel as we were looking for good location, reasonable prices and that is what you get, you can't expect the earth if you are not paying for it. All 3 rooms were very different 301 was by far the best decent size and nice bathroom, 308 had a tiny bathroom and the final room we had, had a strange layout you had to walk through the bathroom to get to the bedroom! Breakfast was great, staff were friendly it can get a little nosy but that's due to the close proximity to the nightlife. On the whole a pleasant stay and would recommend if your looking for cheap and cheerful much better than a travel lodge any day! Should also mention I had to change room bookings at the last minute and whilst this was outside of their policy they were very helpful and accommodating letting us switch from 2 twins and a triple to 3 twins.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad that you and your party enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope that you will choose us again for any future stays.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I was most impressed with Gullivers, for the price you really don't expect the high standard of the rooms & little extras. The staff were happy to help & very friendly, nothing is too much trouble, carry bags to room, maps, taxi, advice where to visit to name a few. Breakfast was also lovely.
My minor negatives is that the water pressure in the shower was a bit low but adequate. Tea & coffee tray hidden away in a cupboard (maybe just overlooked) but nevertheless found. It would be nice if there was someone manning reception more as staff shared between 2 hotels next to each other but prompt in arriving when needed. All in all a wonderfull place. I plan to return having stayed in a few more expensive hotels on other occasions & not had this service I will now make Gullivers my first choice. Tip: park outside if you can to unload then get the parking permit £7.50 for 24hrs. You will have to move your car but most side streets towards the pier are parking permit zone c (where you can park). well worth it!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad that Gulliver's exceeded your expectations. We do operate two Hotels right next door to each other, however staff on on call 24 hours a day and can be reached by phone or the bell at Reception at all times.

I have passed your comment on to our Maintenance with regards water pressure, as we like to ensure we have done everything we can to ensure an enjoyable stay with us.

Hopefully you will return to stay with us again soon.
Almere
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We booked here through their website but surprisingly ended up next door at the New Steine Hotel... Without any explenation. The appearance of the hotel was good so we didn't bother too much.
The staff was very helpfull and polite. However, the standard room was quite small with hardly no room to manouvre with 2 people and very noisy (rooms and hallway). The bathroom was outdated compared to the room itself, small shower with low pressure on the water. The bathroom was not properly cleaned after our first night and you only get one towell à person.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to see that you were not happy with the room you recieved at our Hotel.

We own and operate two Hotels right next door to each of the same standard in Brighton. On occasion, due to overbooking, we do move people to the New Steine, however it is always of the same standard or above, and I am sorry if this was not explained to you. The sizes of our rooms all differ, due to being an older style Georgian property, with some larger than others, and I am sorry on this occasion if the room was smaller than expected.

As for the Housekeeping issues, there is no excuse and I have passed on your comments to the head housekeeper to ensure this does not happen again.

I do hope that the positive points outweighed your negative ones and that you choose to stay with us again.