Gullivers Hotel
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$ 125
US$ 119
US$ 266
US$ 258
  • Beachfront
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$ 143
US$ 137
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$ 187
Blanch House(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$ 217
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnew steineseparate toiletst james streetquiet areafull english breakfastparking permitcomfortable roomsenjoyed my stayearly hoursstreet parkingsea frontnice breakfaststayed one nightbay windowfew minutes walklovely roomintercom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I booked for 2 nights as a Birthday treat for my husband and we were not disappointed. Being habitual smokers,we realize that it is taboo to ask for a smoking room in England but we were delighted to note that Gullivers offers this amenity. Our room was small but spotless and more than adequate for our needs. The price included a good English breakfast. The staff were all friendly and helpful and we will definitely be recommending this hotel to our friends.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at Gullivers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank yo so much for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us - we pride ourselves on the service and product we provide and it is always good to see us hit our targets.

We hope you will return to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed in this hotel as the similar priced hotel I normally stay in was fully booked. The staff where nice and friendly but cheap is not only the price but that people who stay there. 04.30 my first morning I was woken by what sounded like a heard of elephants running up the stairs and guess where they went? Yeah the room next to mine, I then had to listen to drunken chit chat for the rest of the night... Yes, I'm still a smoker so I went outside around 05.00 as it's illegal to smoke in the hotel room, not only could I still here these people but to add insult to injury there were throwing their cigarette butts out the window. I'm sure the hotel management will come back and say they cannot be held responsible for the action of their guests but by 10.00 when the housekeeping staff were working outside my room and the said people were literally bouncing off the walls causing my room to shake. Nothing was done about it as it did not stop till 12.00.

The advertised bathrobe would have been fine if I'd brought my nieces Barbie doll but to a normal sized man it would have done as a hand towel. Also I had to clean the advertised private WC as it was in a state that I would certainly not leave my own WC. I could not use 4od with the advertised internet access as the service was too slow and I've never had to boil a kettle in a wardrobe especially in an advertised 4 star accommodation.

Why did I not report this you may ask yourself, well I'll tell you why not. All the lights went out on my first evening and I called the hotels reception staff only to be told that my laptop had caused the problem... I'm still studying quantum physics tying to finger out how my laptop plugged into the electrical supply can blow the light fuse and leave the electrical supply still working. I'm sure the hotel management can come up with the answer but that's my answer as to why I did not report other problems to the hotel staff.

I've given the hotel a 2 out of 5 as the situation of the hotel is brilliant, close to restaurants, bars, shops and supermarkets also the staff, at the end of the day, are friendly but maybe not too well trained. I did not have the breakfast but when I looked down at the restaurant around 17.00 and there was still dirty breakfast dishes by the window I was quite glad I did not.

The reason I stay in Brighton is because it's a lot easier for me to get to Gatwick airport for early morning flights for work situations (I have been in travel and tourism for over 20 years which includes health and safety auditing but I'm not going to start on the fire extinguisher in the middle of one of the corridors) and I take the weekend before travelling to relax, have a drink (or 20) in my room and do a bit of shopping and catch up on UK TV. For the price the room size was expected but don't advertise extras like bathrobes and tea/coffee making facilities if they can't really be used or explain that there is wifi but only for browsing. You really can hear every word spoken by the people in the next room (so therefore don't advertise your hotel as tranquil) and believe me I have lived in 2 and 3 star hotels... This is not a 4 but then you can't expect a 4 star hotel for the price.... So cheap and cheerful it is.

Dear Guest,

Apologies for the delay in this management response but we wanted to look at your comments closely and address them with our team, as we take all complaints seriously and am surprised by the number of issues you had during your stay, as I am sure you can see by other reviews, we usually score high for standards and service.

Firstly, may I thank you for your comment with regards the staff, who you described as ‘nice and friendly’ and I do wish that you had addressed your issues fully with said staff during your stay as we could have done something about it then and there – we do operate a 24 hour team who are always more than happy to assist should a problem occur. If you had alerted us to the noise issues in the early hours, our night manager would have come straight away to speak with them – as it was, our morning team did note their noise and spoke to them multiple times in the morning – unfortunately we did have an issue with this room and as such we asked them to leave that day as it was causing problems for other guests as well – I can only apologise for the disturbance these guests caused you – we are not simply falling back onto a standard hotel line, as you point out, as we take these matters very seriously and do wish we had been alerted sooner to the issue. I must also make note that, though smoking in public areas is illegal, smoking in designated smoking bedrooms (as they are listed as privately rented spaces) does not fall under the law, and we do offer this option in some of our Hotel rooms.

I would love to know as to whom you spoke with, with regards your electricity fault in your room, as I would like to address it with the person directly – I have spoken to all staff that were on that evening, none of whom recall this conversation, but if this is what you were told I am very sorry. All sockets and appliances are checked daily by our Housekeepers, and if a fault lay in one of the sockets, I am sorry it was not flagged up prior to your arrival. I would point out that all rooms, including the single you were in, have ample plugs located by the desk space, and so I am not sure as to the reason why you felt you had to boil your kettle in the wardrobe, but sorry if this was not shown to you on arrival. As for the free wi-fi, we do have, at times, a slow down on the system when it is in heavy use, but we are in communication with our phone provider to try and increase the efficiency of the system so as to avoid any future issues with this matter.

I am glad that you found the Hotel well located and the staff friendly – you commented on the staff training and, as I am sure you would be happy with, we will be using your comments as an example in our next training sessions so that our team can see exactly what customers interpretations and perceptions of our service and product are – a common practice with ourselves.

I do wish that you had spoken with us before your departure and we would be happy to have you return to us so that we can show you the level of service that has earned us such good reviews up to now.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

The attention to detail is noticeable in this hotel-lots of pillows,duck feather quilt etc.The room was small but very well laid out.The location is quiet and convenient.My room overlooked gardens.
Beautifully refurbed and clean,Very good breakfast.Staff well trained,friendly,helpful.
Cosy and comfortable.I'll be back,alone and with my sister

1  Thank naominomad_12
GulliversNS, Manager at Gullivers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

We pride ourselves on the product and service we provided and it is great to be recognised for our efforts.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a couple of times now and, although I've only booked a small, single room, I have received fantastic service from all the staff there. They really can't do enough for their guests.
They have escorted me to my room - carrying my luggage. The room is clean and fresh with lovely toiletries and thick towels. A complimentary bottle of water and chocolate chip cookies are provided and any problems are addressed immediately with a simple telephone call (I had trouble working out the radiator settings the first time!).
The breakfast is fantastic with continental and cooked, organic food. Definitely service with a smile and a real diligence from all the staff towards their guests.
Honestly - I don't work there so have nothing to gain for leaving such a wonderful review - I just think credit should be given where it's due. They cannot do enough for you.
I'm so glad I've booked and will be staying there each month while I attend a course I'm on close by.
The sea is within very short walking distance and there are some great shops nearby in St James Street. Lots of different kinds of eating places too.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel - you never know what you're going to get when you book somewhere but I struck lucky this time. It's really competitively priced too.
Don't know what else to say except give it a try and I'm sure you'll be treated with respect, smiles and a fantastic willingness to help in any way the staff can.

Room Tip: I chose a single as I got a fantastic rate but am looking forward to visiting with my husband when we can manage it. Obviously it's a busy area and I'm there at a weekend so it might be a bit noisy for some but I haven't found it a problem at all.
2  Thank Tansy M
GulliversNS, Manager at Gullivers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting your review and I am so glad that you enjoyed your last stay, and indeed all your stays with us. I hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back soon and I do hope that you become one of our regulars.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Although very clean superior room and hotel did not live up to 4 star. and breakfast was a disaster with 1 waitress who was very ineffecient. sad as was looking forward to my stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at Gullivers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not feel the Hotel was up to the standard it was rated - the Hotel has been inspected within the last year, and has maintained it's standard with the AA.

It appears that your main concern would have been with breakfast and I apologise if the service was not up to scratch. I have forwarded your comments onto our General Manager to look into any issues we may have had and to ensure they are rectified prior to any future guests being affected.

We are usually praised for our service and product, and I do hope you will choose to return to us in the future so that we can reinstill your confidence in us.