“decent hotel on the seafront”
Review of The Lanes Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Lanes Hotel
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Lanes Hotel was our base for a quiet hen weekend. It's a Victorian house on the seafront about 10 minutes walk from the pier.

Good points:
1. very clean rooms, quiet, comfy bed, and there's a nice big lounge on the ground floor. The beauty therapist claimed that the building used to belong to Ivor Novello and Noel Coward, although there's no blue plaque on the wall, so I'm not sure whether to believe this. Staff relatively friendly and helpful with directions, taxis, etc.
2. breakfast was plentiful, served from 8-10 at weekends, and you can help yourself to as much or as little as you want. Usual selection of cereals, bacon and scrambled eggs and beans, toast and mini croissants, fruit etc. Breakfast room overlooked the sea and was pleasant.
3. the hen's room had a large balcony overlooking the sea, which was lovely. We spent much of the afternoon sitting out there on a picnic bench and chairs.
4. Other facilities include a bar and a beauty room. We had beauty treatments by the lovely Matthew, which were discounted by 75% for hotel guests. Well worth it.

Room for improvement:
1. bedroom furniture and decor and ensuite showeroom were a bit tired, although they were in the process of stripping the wallpaper in the hallway so I presume that they will be undergoing refurbishment soon. Corridors are a little dingy. Perhaps therefore a little pricey for the rooms, but hopefully will get better.
2. tv in the bedroom took a while to work.
3. it's one of those places where you have to leave your key behind reception every time you leave the building, which is understandable but a bit annoying.
4. my room was at the back, so quiet, but overlooked rooftops, so there was half a dead pigeon outside. I guess they couldn't really do much about that but it was a bit offputting.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank CTwydale

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I visted this hotel with my friend and was impressed with the freindly nature of the staff as well as the room and bathroom being clean. It is very sitaued opposite the beach and 10 minute walk to the Lanes. Both my self and my friend had a facial and swedish massage from Matt and this was a very relaxing experience. I really would recommend The Lanes as it is super value for money, we really enjoyed our stay and I will be bringing my husband and children next time.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nIKKI053
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I booked this hotel on line and unseen because It was close to the Lanes and the central areas.
When we pulled up outside we almost did a 'drive by'. The building is a Victorian, red brick building which looks tired. We decided to go in anyway and check out our room and if we didn't like it we would find alternative accomodation. The check-in staff were friendly and helpful and we were shown the room. I had requested a sea view room with balcony and we were given room 116. I can not say that the room was grand or even luxurious but it was clean, large and had a wonderful large balcony.
We decided to take the room and I am so glad that we did.
The staff were all friendly, the public rooms comfortable and cosy. The grand piano is defective and out of tune but does look good.
The breakfast was more than adequate being self service one could eat as much as one wished. Being located on Marine Parade the road traffic noise is a bit of an issue but the sea views and location far outway that problem.
There is space for 5 cars in the front garden so get there early if you want a space.
Don't be put off by it's Victorian looks but take in the Vistorian charm of this hotel. I am so glad we didn't "Drive-By"

Room Tip: If you are taking a hotel in Brighton then take a sea view room. Best room is 116
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 20 March 2012

i had the most lovely stay at this hotel. rooms are very clean, nicely decorated. i found the staff most helpful..breakfast very very nice indeed,
im really looking forward to my next trip to Brighton so i can stay there again

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank chipmonklondon
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I visited this hotel with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday. On a positive note, the staff were friendly and helpful and the beds and bathrooms were clean. However, that’s where the positives end.

The reception staff may well have been welcoming and helpful, but visually the reception was anything but. My first impressions were driven by the horrible smell of smoke and how tired and dilapidated the decorations and furnishings were.

Once in the room, we did have the promised seaview, but the room was very small and a complete mish-mash of colours and styles. We were unable to find BBC1 on the television, nor could we control the volume.

When we returned to the hotel after our evening out, we were met by a smoke-filled reception. The small bar in this area was occupied by a group of people, the majority of whom were smoking. Irrespective of the unsavoury nature of this welcome, I am sure it is illegal.

Once in our room we were kept awake by some fellow guests, who were having a party in their room, they too were smoking.

Needless to say, concerned by the lack of regard for the smoking laws, we did not stay for the included breakfast, concerned that other health rules may well have been disregarded.

All in all, this was a very unsatisfactory hotel that I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends