“Surly service and disapointing fish”
Review of The Italian Kitchen - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Italian Kitchen
Price range: US$ 26 - US$ 46
Cuisines: Italian
Description: A Brighton institution for more than twenty years, The Italian Kitchen is situated on the bustling sea front where it pulls in everyone from locals looking for a good time to tourists after a taste of the famous Brighton nightlife. A welcoming Italian-style restaurant and wine bar with entertainment taking place year round after hours, The Italian Kitchen is traditional in style but very modern in outlook. With pavement seating and a raised floor in the dining room there���s plenty of opportunities for people watching or just taking in sea views as you sample the vast collection of wines on offer. The Italian Kitchen's menu is simple and understated, the Italian basics ��� including pasta and pizza ��� done well and fresh fish an excellent reflection of the restaurant���s location.
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Ate here on August bank holiday. had been a long day and really fancied fish and chips by the sea. We walked past here and saw a chalkboard outside mentioning their 'Tradition' seaside fish and chips. We were hungry so we went in.

First warning sign I should have clocked - despite it being a very busy summer day there were not many people in here.

In the menu there was no mention of what type the fish was so I asked the waitress. She wasn't sure but came back and told me it was a particular type that was just like cod. We each ordered the 'traditional' fish and chips as mentioned on the board outside.

The meals came and the fish was awful. It was dry and flaky and certainly nothing like cod other than it being white and possibly caught in the sea. The chips also were like mass produced oven style chips.

I wasn't very happy and couldn't finish the dish and wasnt too happy. I spoke to the managereress and told her I found the meals very disapointing. I grew up in a fishing town by the sea in the north east and most certainly know what 'traditional' fish and chips are, I was brought up on them. This was not that. Instead of being at all apologetic or interested the manageress sneered at me and told me she'd been there for years and never had any complaints. I pointed to the near empty restaurant (by then there were only 2 other tables in use) and said "Well this busy, bustling restaurant is certainly testament to that isn't it". she also denied she used pre prepared oven chips and was very aggressive. Unfortunately we'd paid by this point and I wasnt going to persue the issue any longer with this sneering agressive woman in front of me,

Overall a disappointing and rude establishment I will never visit again and would actively discourage anyone else from going there in the area. If you want good fish and chips go to Fishy Fishy

4  Thank oxygene13