“Not worth the saving”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Standard room is small, overlooking the roof and the walls of the nearby buildings. There is no wifi in the room, so you have to use the wire, which costs 12 pounds for 24 hours.

There are only 10 channels on TV.

The mattress is as hard as stone, and the battery is old and not enough to heat all the room, so its freezing.

The only good thing is the price, but the Nearby Holiday Inn is very worth paying extra for spacious rooms with air conditioner, wi-fi and complimentary partial sea view in a standard room.

Will not stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Julia_Rozhkovskaya
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear Julia_Rozhkovskaya

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to read that we did not fully meet you expectations and that we were not able to do more for you while you were still in the Hotel.

Whilst we currently have hard wired internet access in our bedrooms we do provide complimentary Wi-Fi in the bar and lobby which I am sorry didn’t meet your needs.

My team and I work hard to ensure that we do as much as possible for guests and again I am sorry that you were not able to bring your dissatisfaction to our attention where I’m sure we could have tried to assist you and make you stay more enjoyable.

Thank you once again, and if you are returning to Brighton please do not hesitate to contact me personally so that I may make arrangements for your future stay.

Matthew

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Went to a family wedding in Pangdean and this was the hotel chosen by the bride and bridegroom as their hotel. They reserved a number of rooms so we got a small discount.

I booked 4 rooms for myself and family, the rooms were okay, were very clean and comfortable. Good location, not too close to everything but not too far either.

The staff were fabulous, really friendly and helpful. I had my mum with me who has dementia - all the staff were really good with her and nothing was too much trouble, especially when she was chatting to them and telling them her stories! I can't thank them enough for their patience and good humour. Big thanks to them.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Palacedolly

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I was delighted that you and your Mum experienced our usual genuine and friendly level of service and your feedback will offer further encouragement towards their efforts!

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I expected slightly better for a Mercure hotel. The location is great and the entrance is quite grandly decorated. However, the moment I left the lobby to go to my room, it was obvious that the other parts of the hotel were quite run down.
My room was quite small and old - it gave the feeling of a worn out/slightly dirty establishment. The walls/doors are extremely thin so I could hear loud noises and it was as if the room vibrated a little every time someone was running in the corridor (which happened quite a few times that night.)
I went to Brighton for work so after a long day, all I wanted was a nice meal in the room but the room service menu, to be honest, did not exactly offer a good selection, although the staff who delivered it to me was very friendly.
The worst part I felt was when I tried to take a shower at midnight and the water was cold. Really?! It was midnight and I honestly just wanted to get to bed so I didn't bother calling the reception but I really shouldn't have to call for hot water, really.
The receptionists at the next day were quite polite, although I did get charged wrongly for a breakfast that I didn't order. Both the receptionist at the desk as well as the person that I called later on seemed confused when I asked them for a printout of my hotel charges. The receptionist ended up giving me only a printout of my room service charges, which I only realised after I left the hotel so I had to call to get the printout sent to my email. The person on the phone argued that he just couldn't do that but took a while to explain that it was because I'd booked through Expedia. Although this might have been the case, it's quite normal for me to book through these sites for accommodation and I'd never experienced such problems before and I thought the attitude of the person at the end of the line could have been a little better.

All in all, I don't really think it was a good stay at Mercure. Like I said, I expected a little better because it was a Mercure hotel and to be honest, hot water is pretty basic and a bad attitude really puts me off a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pink_hoshi28

Dear pink_hoshi28

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the room allocated to you. The Hotel is based around a very old building and for this reason our rooms to vary in terms of size and whilst not all have been totally refurbished we have made efforts to place new beds and redecorate all of our bedrooms.

I appreciate that it may not have been convenient to call reception late when you experienced an issue with your shower however I can offer you my assurances that the provision of hot water is not normally an issue and should be easily rectified if reported.

Thank you for your comments regarding the friendly room service and polite reception staff you dealt with.

Clearly, there was some confusion regarding your request for information following your departure and I am sorry that this was not handled in our usual efficient manner.

I discuss all feedback with my team regularly and we will be looking into your case particularly to see if there is something we can change to make it better for future guests.

Once again, I thank you for your comment and I assure you of a warm and friendly welcome if you come back and see us again.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 14 April 2012

My family and I stayed in the family room which was supposedly just renovated. The room was really quite bad and felt like it NEEDED a renovation. The carpet was stained, the room was poorly decorated, and the whole place felt dirty. The rooms view was probably the worst I've ever had, overlooking all sorts of machinery and some peoples homes. Because we were only on the second floor, I also didn't feel too safe either. It may be perfectly safe, but the windows seemed like they could be accessed and opened with little effort.

The location is across from the old burned down pier so there aren't many places near by to eat or visit. In fact, the hotel isn't even on their own maps.

The hotel has tiny parking garage with £15 parking! When you enter from the garage, you walk down a tilted creaky dark corridor to the lobby. This is a pretty bad first impression for sure but unfortunately it didn't get any better. In fact, you have to walk down that same hall to get to the lifts.

The service was very friendly though, but I would never stay here again at any price.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hargler
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear Eric S

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay at the Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that your stay did not fully meet you expectations and that we couldn’t do more for you while you were still in the hotel.

As you will appreciate due to the layout of the hotel each of our rooms do vary in terms of their size and appointment and regrettably the only way to guarantee a fabulous sea view is to upgrade to an Executive feature room. We are an Grade II listed hotel and while do have an continuous programme to improve the Hotel I do agree there are areas of characterful squeaky floorboards which we continue to tackle/

Whilst we are marginally further from the Centre than the some alternatives in the City, there are in fact plenty of highly recommended places to eat, drink and see within very close proximity. I am again sorry that we were not able to give you more information to make you visit to the City more enjoyable.

I was pleased to note however that you found the service received very friendly, and if you would consider coming back, please do contact me directly.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I've stayed at Mercure in London, and knew this would be different. The staff are excellent and I couldn't fault their service. The hotel is probably a listed building and therefore can't be gutted and modernised, as we all now expect. I liked the warm approach from the staff, always helpful.

The rooms are functional and clean, breakfast is as good as anywhere else, and only minutes from the sea front.

I paid £168 for two nights over Easter on the sea front, much cheaper than most other places.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear tangerine01

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your experience at the Hotel.

As you mention one of the positive elements of Mercure is that no two hotels are the same and one of our values is that you will find each of the 700 hotels worldwide retain elements of their personal charm. Furthermore you are absolutely right that the main building is Grade II listed and we are fortunate to have a number of features both inside and out which also adds to a characterful hotel!

I was pleased that you thought your accommodation offer represented good value for month and you found the team to be helpful at all times.

Thank you once again for your time – we hope to extend you a warm welcome on your next visit to Brighton.