“A pretty B&B in good location”
Review of Cavalaire Hotel

Cavalaire Hotel
Ranked #5 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I research hotels compulsively before booking and rely on Trip Advisor for help making my decision. This is one time where I felt was lead astray by all the "excellent" ratings. This B&B is quite a bit more expensive than others in the area, and in fact was the priciest place we stayed during out 10 days in Britain, so I was expecting something spectacular. The good: 1) location - very nice, close to pier, the Laines and in a funky neighborhood full of interesting little restaurants, bars and stores. 2) the breakfast was very good served in a lovely dining room, lots of attention to detail including classical music playing, little jars of jam, lots of variety etc. The bad: 1) The room (#8) is small by North American standards which was fine and expected (and done up in a pleasant although nothing special way) but I did not expect a bathroom that was so tiny that we could notclose the door if we were standing at the sink (and I am under 5 ft tall ... if my husband had been travelling with me, he would not have even been able to get into the room). It measured about 10 square feet and reminded me of an airline bathroom except smaller. I happened to look into another room (#3) while it was being made up and it was lovely with a regular sized bathroom. I understand that we probably paid less for our little room than one of the more delux ones but I don't think it was good value for the money spent. 2) Brighton was unseasonably warm during the last week of May and the room was very hot. The owners said they would bring a fan to the room but forgot the first night and I had to ask again for one which arrived second night. I can't imagine how hot the room gets in July or August! 3) Be aware that the owners are very strict about check in time, to the extent of phoning me ahead of time to confirm what time we would arrive. Again, perhaps I am used to Canada/US hotels where you can arrive any time night or day, but to say that arriving after 2:00 is considered to be a no-show? It meant that we had to leave the city we were in the previous day earlier than we had wanted to just to make sure we would meet the deadline.

Room Tip: Avoid room 8 if you are taller than about 4 ft.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 May 2012

My friend and I had a wonderful time at the Cavalaire. The hoteliers, Derek and Gary were friendly and very welcoming. The room was clean, well equipped, and the bed was very comfy. Breakfast was amazing! They had a full menu for you to choose from! We had the full English breakfast each morning (highly recommended). I would suggest this B&B to anyone! Fabulous stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We chose this Hotel for our honeymoon, we decided at last minute to go away and discover brighton at a closer glance. Upon arriving and spekaing with the Cavalaire I found them to be very friendly, welcoming and they seemed happy to do anything to enhance your stay, including booking tables at a local restauarant. The breakfast was out of this world, the choices and the level of service was second to none. The location was excellent just a ten minute walk to town and beach, they went the extra mile to accomocate our car right next to the Hotel in a private space at a discounted rate. The room was clean and tidy and we would not hesiatate to go back when we next take our family to brighton. I would highly recommend 'the cavalaire' to anyone that will listen, not only was this a nice little business, the guys that run this establishment are very nice people and make you feel at home!.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2012

This is a friendly little place close to the heart of Kemp Town, Brighton's trendier and more fashionable area. The hotelier couldn't have been more welcoming, nor more honest when I booked about the size of the only room available (so I knew in advance the room would be small, but that was not a problem in these circumstances). The room was fresh, tastefully decorated and very clean. Kettle and tea/coffee/hot chocolate were provided, as well as a very large and comfortable bed, ironing board and iron, toiletries...basically, they try to think of everything. So all in all, a good stay, pity I didn't have time to stay for breakfast - the dining room looked very promising!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Brilliant stay at the Cavalaire. Great location near to loads of restaurants and the seafront. Hosts were lovely and were able to give loads of relevant Brighton advice. Room was lovely, quiet and had everything you needed! 100% recommended and will be back...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple