“The Hot Blue Man”

The Blue Man Restaurant
Ranked #225 of 1,256 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 22
Description: The independently run Blue Man is a restaurant on 10 Manchester Street with Brighton Soul and North African flavour. We're open from Monday through to Saturday, every day for lunch and dinner. We've got the bar on Queens Road and have gone back to our restaurant roots with this new venue. Come see us for a very warm welcome.
Reviewed 22 January 2018

I have just discovered an amazing North African restaurant in Brightons Kemp Town and I urge you to take the time to visit. A small Victorian terrace building in Manchester Street, luring passersby in to a warm, colourful, atmospheric interior, nicely decorated with colourful ceramics and pieces of carefully sourced furniture and bric a brac from Algeria. Authentic is an overused word (especially in Brighton) but I really feel like the owner was making an effort to bring the colours, textures, smells and tastes of another country to a small corner of this independant city.
Between the four of us I think we must have tried everything on the menu and it was good, very good, nothing left except the plates and very nice plates they were. I understand that the dishes and menu has been developed by the owner from original recipes and the mix of herbs and spices and the combinations of different tastes was excellent, each of us pushing our fellow guests to try each others choices. I have listed what we had below and excluding wine it came to £30.00, which if this restaurant was in London would be a whole lot more. So well done to the Blue Man Restaurant for a little bit of heat and colour on a cold wet January evening and thank you to the equally authentic Geordie 'Darren' who looked after us extremely well. We will be back!!!!

My choice
Jej Charmoula bel Zaatar / Grilled marinated chicken with speciality house spices served on flat bread
Khrouf bel Barkok wal Loz / Lamb tagine served with homemade bread, couscous and harissa. One of the most famous dishes across North Africa
Homemade Baklava bel Louz / A traditional almond and rosewater pastry with honey and mixed nuts
Espresso special With Cardamom seeds and mint

jwdBrighton, Owner at The Blue Man Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Thank you so much Mark, we're so happy you enjoyed yourself! We will pass on your comments to the kitchen team and to Darren. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

We booked for a 50th birthday. The food and the staff were amazing! We were so well looked after! Cannot recommend this lovely place enough! Looking forward to going back for more! Thanks again!

Thank you so much Seb! We loved hosting you and we're so happy that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

Visited last night for a meal with my partner. Absolutely blown away by the food. I called ahead as I have a dietary requirement and they were great at accommodating without any fuss. All of the food was just beautiful, perfectly cooked, amazing flavours and gorgeously presented. Really fantastic value for money and a nice selection of wines. The baklava was the best I’ve tasted. Really homely feel and fantastic service too, made for s very special night. You must try this!!!!

Thank you so much Ben!

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

We were recommended to try this restaurant for its food and atmosphere to celebrate an early girly Christmas. The atmosphere was warm, welcoming & relaxing. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable about the menu, and the food was incredible. Every bite was delicious. Thank you!

Thank you Diana for your lovely review! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Service was absolutely amazing, from starter to dessert I was very impressed. The whole journey made me feel like I was in Algeria, highly recommend me and my family loved it and will be returning.

Thank you for coming back Beckie! We're so happy you enjoyed the restaurant a second time.