“Deliciously different”
Review of Le Baobab Cuisine

Le Baobab Cuisine
Ranked #524 of 1,313 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Description: Started as a Street food in London and Bologna, Le Baobab Cuisine is now opening its first ever restaurant in Brighton. Le Baobab Cuisine offers a taste of gourmet cuisine from Senegal, all prepared on site by Chef Abdoulaye Gaye with fresh vegetable, fish and meat and special African ingredients – from smoked fish to gombos, yam and peppers.
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

This was the first time I’ve tried Senegalese food and it definitely didn’t disappoint. The flavours are delicious and you can tell everything is freshly prepared. The menu is extensive and there are wonderful choice of treats to pick from!

The restaurant has a lovely homely and relaxed feeling about it and the staff are warm and friendly.

The only thing that stops it being 5* for me, is that I think it’s slightly overpriced for what you get, otherwise it was great.

1  Thank scarlettj115

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

I had been wanting to go to Le Baobab for a long time, and maybe I built my hopes up too high. First, it took them MORE THAN AN HOUR to serve us. At this point we should've just left. They forgot our coffee until when we were about to leave, despite the fact it was the first we ordered.

So after waiting more than hour we were served with what seemed like the most unappetising food I've ever encountered. My friends' fish soup was just water with whole fish thrown in. The squid weren't even cut. My dish was okay, just a few root vegetables with white rice and a peanut sauce. I thought the side dish would be included but it wasn't! My dish was definitely NOT worth 11£, more like 5! They were 'kind' enough to give us a discount and cut 1£ off the final dish.

My other friend ordered lamb served with a few leaves of salad and he was also charged 3£ extra for that.

So overall, a big big disappointment and a waste of money and time. I would never come back and don't recommend it to anyone. Brighton is full of amazing and cheap places to go and eat in, and this one is NOT one of them.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

It's my first time trying Senegalese food and it didn't disappoint. I ordered the Senegalese Chicken Curry

Reviewed 20 October 2017

it was our fault really we could see the disappointment coming and still stayed. It is a charming if not particularly clean place. we tried to order fish, but that was sold out ( in Brighton?). we then settled for pork chops. I ordered potatoes as my side and my sister went with roasted veg. somehow they both got the exact same thing with some beans on the side. it felt like we were given everything they had to get rid off. The wait staff was nice but uninterested. A shame really because the other groups at the neighbouring tables look very pleased.

Giulia G, Manager at Le Baobab Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2017

are you sure you were at our restaurants? we do not sell pork chops as the Chef is Muslim... and we either have potatoes, but actually sweet potatoes, the same with roasted veggie - perhaps you meant grilled veggie? it is also quite hard for us to run out of fish, as it is our favourite main course, and we usually have three or four kind of fish - sea bass, king prawns, calamari and sardines... we buy our fish fresh everyday, so if it had run out it may be as you arrived late at our restaurant... the Chef also at times add some other veggie, beans, grilled veggie as an extra to the customer, I assure you that it is not because we feel the need to get rid of anything... but as a way to please our guests..
we are sorry if you had a bad experience ... as you say the other groups at neighbouring tables look very pleased... we would be happy if you would like to come back at another time, at Le Baobab Cuisine, and hopefully this time we will still have on menu what you look for...

Reviewed 30 September 2017

Having travelled frequently in West Africa, we were delighted to discover a West African restaurant had opened in our home town of Brighton. We certainly weren't disappointed. We went with two friends and therefore had a range of starters and mains. My sardines were delicious and my husband's avocado vinaigrette was light and tasty. The seafood dish was huge and well cooked as was the chicken curry, which I had. The spices and seasoning were done to perfection. We all had a starter, a main, side and a shared mango and only paid £70 for the four of us. Be prepared with cash as their card machine wasn't working and remember toBYOB as they don't have their licence yet. The music, decor and atmosphere are great. Definitely worth a try!