“Generally OK, though depends which room....”

The Queensbury Hotel
Bingley, United Kingdom
“Generally OK, though depends which room....”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I stayed at this place whilst in Brighton attending a friend's wedding. It was cheap, and my room was basic but fine, with ensuite shower and shared bathroom. Staff were friendly, and the location is excellent.

My room was on the top floor, so away from all the noises and disturbances other reviewers report. The hotel is indeed creaky with tissue-thin walls, so I can imagine if there ARE noisy residents this would be a nightmare!

I was lucky I guess, so if you ARE going to stay here, ask for a room at the top!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the top!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

To summarise our experience:

Arrival - Room was not ready and we were told to come back in an hour.
Bathroom was faulty, door did not shut fully, no hot water. Bathroom light broke and we had to try and sleep with noise of bathroom fan and the light on. There is no staff on in the night and the emergency number does not work.

Second night -
In the room above us was a group of people who spent all night screaming, shouting, running up and down the stairs, pounding on the floor. On the website it states “no stags and hens” ; however they have no problem letting groups of people who have no intention of sleeping or respecting anyone else’s stay. Again we rang the emergency number provided continuously to no avail.

If you looking for a relaxing weekend with sleep this is not the hotel I would recommend; they need to think about employing a night porter and giving the hotel some TLC. If you are looking to go on a weekend where you have no intention of sleeping, then this would be fine.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vicky274

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Possibly the worst hotel i have ever stayed at. I would have had a better nights sleep if i had stayed on a park bench or maybe the beach.

For a start we were put in the bedroom number 15, refuse to stay here if for some unknown reason you actually decide to stay in this hotel. This room is situated right at reception, great huh, NO! Just NO!. This brings me onto my first problem the walls are as thick as tracing paper. I was surprised i could not see the other guests walking up and down the stairs but believe me you could hear them. Every single step, creek or in some cases falling drunk bodies flying down the stairs. Our room also had a stud wall that connected us to the dining room but I get ahead of myself we had to get through the night before we were woken up by the teeth grinding sound of forks being scraped across plates.

To go into detail may put u off reading this as it would be an even bigger essay so i will sum up our night;

- Some sort of karaoke night happening in one room. Which turned out to just be a noisy bunch of people
- The kettle had actual chunks of rust floating in the bottom. Not a little bit, massive chunks
- Woken up at 4.30 by screaming and shouting. You f'ing this and that, people running up and down the stairs slamming the front door. Leaving the front door open while they smoke. Getting locked out so they banged the door over and over until someone opened it.
- my girlfriend opened the room door to find a drunk man using it as a leaning post which gave her a fright about 5 in the morning by this time.
- the emergency number the hotel provides in the rooms do not work they simple leave the phone off the hook. i had to go to reception to find another number stuck to the door.
- Finally got through to hotel stuff who said they would be 5 minutes. Half hour later the noise started to die down.
- 15 minutes later all hell breaks loose again and the arguments start up screaming and shouting again.
- Woken up by someone repeatedly falling down the stairs.
- Woken up by people eating breakfast due to started wall

Seriously pay that little extra and go somewhere decent. I cant convey not through lack of trying how bad this place is. I wouldn't stay here if it was free. In fact my personal recommendation is to park in the NCP car park outside the hotel and sleep there. It will cost you about £6 and be considerably cheaper, more comfortable and quieter.

Room Tip: Not room 15, not any rooms
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike A
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel last weekend with my sisters, after reading the reviews I was sceptical!! It clean, the staff very friendly, the location very central, had a great weekend, thank you

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Debbie N
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

After spending several hours trying to find somewhere suitable to stay in Brighton (taking into consideration budget/location/parking), the Queensbury seemed to hit the right balance. The photographs on the website looked reasonable so I decided to give it a try. What a mistake! While it was convenient location-wise (within 2 mins walk of the seafront and a £12.50/day car park literally across the road), the hotel itself was another story.

At first glance, the hotel appeared to be quite nice. We checked in and then proceeded to lug our bags up 4 flights of stairs without any help offered. We opened the door to our room and oh dear....

Where to start? Well the wallpaper was peeling away; the walls were cracked; the "en-suite" was more like a cardboard box built into the room with a door that wouldn't shut properly; the toilet would only flush if you pushed really hard with both hands; the shower cubicle could barely accommodate one person; the water wouldn't drain properly within the shower; the handles were cracked on the shower doors and the shower head wouldn't stay up properly; there was rubbish in one of the pieces of furniture indicating how well cleaned the room had been; pieces of furniture were missing handles; the television didn't work; we found a bug in our bed...

And that is honestly only SOME of the things wrong with the room.

Then of course there is the matter of the "continental breakfast". Normally when I think continental breakfast, images of croissants conjure in my mind. Well in Hotel Queensbury it's "make-your-own-toast-with-cheese-and-ham". There was also cereal if you were feeling really adventurous.

All in all, I will never be returning to this hotel again. Outrageously overpriced for what you get and it's no wonder that when checking out the lady at reception desk didn't bother to ask us how our stay was as she probably knew what we would have said.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple