“Won't be returning”

The Queensbury Hotel
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Won't be returning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

After spending several hours trying to find somewhere suitable to stay in Brighton (taking into consideration budget/location/parking), the Queensbury seemed to hit the right balance. The photographs on the website looked reasonable so I decided to give it a try. What a mistake! While it was convenient location-wise (within 2 mins walk of the seafront and a £12.50/day car park literally across the road), the hotel itself was another story.

At first glance, the hotel appeared to be quite nice. We checked in and then proceeded to lug our bags up 4 flights of stairs without any help offered. We opened the door to our room and oh dear....

Where to start? Well the wallpaper was peeling away; the walls were cracked; the "en-suite" was more like a cardboard box built into the room with a door that wouldn't shut properly; the toilet would only flush if you pushed really hard with both hands; the shower cubicle could barely accommodate one person; the water wouldn't drain properly within the shower; the handles were cracked on the shower doors and the shower head wouldn't stay up properly; there was rubbish in one of the pieces of furniture indicating how well cleaned the room had been; pieces of furniture were missing handles; the television didn't work; we found a bug in our bed...

And that is honestly only SOME of the things wrong with the room.

Then of course there is the matter of the "continental breakfast". Normally when I think continental breakfast, images of croissants conjure in my mind. Well in Hotel Queensbury it's "make-your-own-toast-with-cheese-and-ham". There was also cereal if you were feeling really adventurous.

All in all, I will never be returning to this hotel again. Outrageously overpriced for what you get and it's no wonder that when checking out the lady at reception desk didn't bother to ask us how our stay was as she probably knew what we would have said.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Zutot
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Lindfield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Under no circumstances should anyone stay at this hotel. It looked nice on the outside and the welcome was friendly enough. However, we had to leave after the first night as the noise was so bad, both from the road (no double glazing) and from inside the hotel.

The "emergency" number on the reception door was a waste of time. No-one answered.

The second night a huge drunken hen party turned up and were given rooms despite the website and the front door saying that there should be no hen parties.

We decided to leave and agreed with the hotel when we called on the phone the next day that they would only charge us for one night. They then proceeded to charge us both nights and have refused to give us our money back.

They fail to reply to emails or answer any of the issues we faced.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: Just don't.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Simeon D

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

Location - excellent , within walking distance of all amenities ; sea-views from some rooms ; set in a beautiful Regency square typical of Brighton.
Cleanliness - reasonably good actually , maybe things like skirting boards and windows could do with more frequent attention , but overall acceptable. Bed linen was clean and beds comfortable.
Furnishings, fixtures /fittings - the breakfast room was in good order. However the bedroom furniture was old , scruffy and battered. The wash basin was loose , the toilet seat was hanging off , the shower cubicle , although clean , was cheap and below the standard I would expect for a room at this price. The bathroom cabinet looked like the cheapest available. Wall decor and paintwork need sprucing-up.
Service - friendly and helpful , although I arrived back one night at 1.00am to find several newly arrived guests sitting on the doorstep with no ne answering the doorbell.
Overall - this was obviously once a grand house and it has the potential to be a beautiful hotel but it needs money spending on it to bring it up to standard . I found myself thinking that I should be able to expect more for the price I paid .
Would I return ? - maybe , but Id definitely look elsewhere first.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 1 or1A - they are light , airy , have sea views and balconies.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Galway, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at the Queensbury for 1 night with another couple in June; we were passing through Brighton for one night on our way to another destination, I didn't know what to expect, and hadn't researched it before we went.

My first impression was good - lovely old georgian house overlooking a small green area, just up the road frm the beach (pity the only view of the water included the old pier which burned down several years ago so all that is left is a eerie looking burned out shell).

Then the bad news:
- our 2 rooms were on the 4th floor, at the vey top of the building. We had extremely heavy bags, and I had back surgery only 3 months ago so I was unable to carry much. It was a struggle getting up to the room. No one offered to help us with our bags.
- being on the top floor of the hotel, the rooms were small with low ceilings. The windows were also small and offered little view.
- The rooms each had a sink and and shower within the bedroom. I've stayed in hotels before that have showers in the bedroom, and the only problem is that it steams up the whole room. On the plus side, the pressure was surprisingly good, I was impressed with that.
- The toilet was outside in the hall and shared with 3 other rooms, so whenever you had to go you had to listen to make sure no one else was in there. Once or twice, the previous toilet user left a fragrant reminder of their visit, which was a bit off-putting but not unexpected. But I'm not a big fan of sharing a toilet in a hotel.
- You could hear, very clearly, conversations in the room directly below us. The visitors in that room were from other county, presumably the Far East, so I couldn't understand them but if I could I would have been privy to every conversation they had. One sounded like an argument.... I just didn't want to know.

On the plus side, there was a blackout blind over the window so no light can get in - this was great, room was completely dark at night and I slept well. Also, the hotel location is excellent - quick walk to the main street in Brighton, and stone's throw away from the beach. We had an excellent dinner in a japanese restaurant at the end of the road, and there's a few pubs nearby which were really nice.

I can't comment on breakfast as we left at 6.30am, before breakfast was served. We advised them of our early departure, and people were up at that hour cleaning, etc. We had to get up 20 min earlier than planned just to drag the bags down from the top floor. No one offered us even a croissant or yoghurt to take with us. Disappointing.

Wasn't bad for the one night we stayed there, but I wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: As for a room on one of the lower floors!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

Booked on a whim, was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Stayed in a room on the first floor and the room was satisfactory, great high ceilings, small balcony with sea view and period decor. The hotel is located very close to the old pier on a well kept square with gardens and is very close to both shops and beach. Breakfast was minimal but I only wanted a coffee anyway! We only stayed for one night and wish we'd booked for longer!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple