“Short and sweet!”

The Urban Beach Hotel
Ranked #17 of 134 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I arrived very late and left very early. The staff could not have been more friendly. My room was small but perfectly formed. The beds and bedding were lovely , so was the bathroom and the shower was amazing. I only had time for cereal and toast, nice coffee though!! I wish I could have eaten off the menu because it also looked fab. Overall a really lovely place, not your typical hotel, quite funky in its own unique way! I am back down in 5 weeks so I will make a point of arriving earlier and leaving later:)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

The Urban Beach was fantastic, we would love to stay again when we get the chance. We didn't book as wanted to see the location first, we came in off the street to ask if they'd got a room, receptionist was very friendly and gave us a better room for the lower price. Room was very 'designer', bed was lovely. Food gorgeous. I loved the little extras', the wellingtons you could borrow, the dvds to watch and the throws on the outside chairs for when it got chilly!
The restaurant was quite busy in the morning so it took a while to be served however when breakfast arrived it was lovely.
My only complaint was the dustbin men in the morning!! We were woken at 6.30...But that's nothing to do with the hotel. I emailed the owner to say thanks for great stay and received an email back a day later! Great hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I simply cannot recommend this hotel enough, from the friendly atomospher and wonderful welcome we received from the helpful staff to the beautifully decorated and comfortable room with a four poster bed and the delicious food in the downstairs bistro we had a truly brilliant stay. I cannot wait for the next time :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6 - it was very warm and didnt cool down even when we turned off the radiators...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Wow what can I say, such a great atmosphere and really lovely staff. I went tonight and last friday and so impressed with the accommodating staff great asset to your business well done. I asked for the girls name and she's called Helen. Great bar, great night out cheers

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have spent a while debating whether I should write this review because people clearly put their heart and soul into delivering an experience, but overall I was looking forward to staying there but felt somewhat disappointed. I normally stay in big brand 4* star hotels and whilst I wasn't expecting quite that, I was expecting friendly service and outstanding "boutique" rooms. I felt the latter were not outstanding but that the service was better than expected.

The primary function of a hotel is somewhere to stay and I did find the Urban Beach to be somewhat underwhealming especially for the price. I found the room to be a decent size, not big though, but the ensuite was clearly an addition during the refurb as it was very small; decent size shower, but the sink was the size of one that you'd find in a downstairs toilet which is reflective of the small size of the ensuite. The room was clean generally but quite dusty on all the surfaces. The room was also very, very hot even when turning down the radiator (I assume from the view out of the window that we were above the kitchen) and so had to open the window but heard the droning of the kitchen's extractor fans. I didn't however hear any of the noise from the bar that others have mentioned.

However, the bed, duvet/pillows and linen were very comfortable. The TV was a decent size (although signal was poor), hospitality tray was nice (but no biscuits or flapjacks etc), and towels were white and fluffy. The guest information was good and it did feel modern and upmarket.

The highlight was breakfast which was very laid back with excellent service, a nice buffet and the urban egg muffins (eggs benedict) were outstanding. The local apple juice and freshly brewed coffee were fantastic. The bistro was a delightful area when it wasn't too busy, being nicely furnished and decorated, with a great atmosphere.

What makes this place stand out is the friendliness and the quality of service. It's not however the rooms - they're nice but not outstanding and not worth a high price tag - and if you're just looking for somewhere to stay then there a number of 4* star hotels out there with bigger, better rooms. If you're a London urbanite (I'm not) then you'd probably get wrapped up in being by the seaside, feeling that you're really trendy and ignore the cost. BUT... the location is good near to Boscombe beach, they're very friendly and the food was good. I would be more inclined to describe it as a restaurant with rooms than a hotel as food seems to be the main business and catering is what they seem to excel at.

You can tell that they're trying hard and put a lot of effort into it. One thing that did grate a little was all the references to how much it cost to refurbish and operate the place and how much to run it. I'm sure it did cost a lot of money and you can see where it went, but I don't like being reminded that my money is just going to pay the bank loan - my stay wasn't to prop up bank profits. And that's why I decided to write a review as I decided they do ask for the feedback, and hope that this gets seen as a balanced bit of feedback, and the owners have clearly put a lot into it but it was so overly business/money focused that felt I should review the place as if it were part of Accor or Whitbread. I wouldn't say that it is rammed down your throat, but it is very much there.

I would go back, probably not to stay unless the room rate was around 20-25% lower to be comparable with the likes of Mercure and Hilton (if they can get the higher rates good on them but I know the hotel wasn't full on a Saturday night), but more likely for food. The menu seems very similar in style, choice, items and price to the Urban Reef down the road; the Reef has the benefit of the location but the Beach has better service. My next stay is already booked at Premier Inn around the corner at £29 and will instead go to Urban Beach for breakfast. They will see me back and if they have a competitive room rate (around £60-£70 for a double B&B and not over the kitchen) to stay then will sleep there again too.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business