“Memo to management - Please take notice” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carrington House Hotel

Carrington House Hotel
Ranked #63 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Memo to management - Please take notice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed for two nights at this hotel in Mid March, when the outside temperature was chilly to say the least. The stay was a on a gift voucher basis, whether or not this had anything to do with the overall stay is anyone's guess but...
Upon arrival we were pleasantly greeted at reception and on handing over our voucher and confirmation email were told we had room 354 in the Frome Wing - the receptionist was also a little surprised we had been given that room. We were given directions to the room - a Satnav would have been appropriate as the walk involved traversing long narrow corridors and staircases, and two lifts of miniscule proportions although they reportedly held six persons.
The room itself was large and consisted of twin beds pushed together, bunkbeds, very small TV and the usual hotel room furniture. The room was clean and tidy although a little tired looking. The bathroom was spotless, however...
The window side of the bed was broken - middle leg was lying under the bed - although was reasonably comfortable to lie on.
Heating radiator was on full - nice in the chilly weather - but it couldn't be turned off as the control knob had been broken off. Room became stifling after a short time so the windows were opened wide to compensate.
Standard Light had no bulb in it.
TV had only three channels
Service tray had two tiny cartons of milk which would not have lasted ten minutes after our arrival.
The water that issued from the taps in the bathroom was rusty brown and took several minutes to clear - there is a notice regarding this on the wall of the bathroom.
We decided we could probably suffer this for at least one of the nights and went out to explore and have some food. As I'm not reviewing the area, I will not comment on this except that the hotel is very close to Boscombe Pier and is set in a delightful tree lined road.
Later in the evening upon our return we asked at reception for some extra tea, coffee, sugar and milk and were given an ample supply by a different and very helpful receptionist.
We returned to the room to find that the temperature was very hot, despite the windows being open and the outside temperature being close to freezing. ALL the bedclothes were thrown off the bed as they were deemed to be of no use whatsoever. Having had a long day travelling, we decided to turn in for a peaceful night's sleep - yeah right!!!!
Around midnight, we were both awoken by the sound of what can only be described as a very loud air compressor banging which lasted on average ten seconds before switching off. this repeated itself around every five minutes for a good couple of hours. We must have dropped off to sleep at sometime during the night only to be woken again by the same noise, repeating itself every five or so minutes. The temperature in the room was now at stifle point and I seriously considered sleeping in the bath where it would be cooler at least. Even with the windows and the curtains open, it was far too warm for comfort.
Morning eventually came and we both made our weary way down the corridors and lifts to the breakfast area on the ground floor. We called in at reception beforehand to complain about the room and to ask for another.
The conversation went something like :
Us " We want to change rooms please"
Reception, " Why?"
Us, "Because of the reasons given above"
Reception, " What room are you in?"
Us ,"354"
Reception, "Oh, I will get you a room over the other side of the hotel right now. The sound might be the air conditioning unit and I'll get an engineer out to sort it. Room 99 is available and It will be ready for when you return from breakfast". "Do you want help with your bags?"
Breakfast was very nice and served by a charming lady who was very helpful.
After breakfast we changed to room 99 -along more corridors and another claustrophobic lift. The room was large and very clean but was also tired looking with scratched and untidy furniture etc, but at least the small TV had more than three channels. The bed was not broken, although it was only a double where a king size would have easily fitted, all the lights worked and the water came out of the taps looking like water should. The radiator control tap worked and, although the heating over this side of the hotel didn't come on till midnight, the temperature of the room remained very pleasant.
After a good night's sleep - very welcome I can tell you, we took breakfast, which was again very nice and left for home. We did not get a chance to sample the swimming pool or the bars so will not report on them.
Overall, this is a large hotel in a quiet leafy suburban area, close to Boscombe pier and beach - 10 min walk. The hotel was clean but needs some updating in most areas.
The best thing about the hotel is it's staff - they are a credit to the hotel, very loyal in what is obviously a company that either doesn't have money or doesn't like spending it.
So please Mr Gettings, I know you read these reviews so why not act on them? The noise we had to put up with all night was reported on this site in OCTOBER 2010!!!! The heating problems are consistently reported on this site!!!! The broken bed in room 354 must have been noticed by someone making the room up!!!! You know about the plumbing problems as you have notices placed in the bathrooms about it. Customers who have gift vouchers are not "riff raff" but people. Why then place them in a room that you obviously know has major faults. This room should be de-commissioned as should most of the rooms in the Frome wing from other accounts and not used until they have been brought up to standard.
This hotel will never go up in the ratings until problems are addressed.
Would I stay here again - no chance
Would I recommend this hotel to anyone - NO chance.
The only reason it gets two stars on my review is that it is not fair to apportion blame on the staff, who are a credit to the hotel, for what is obviously a management failing.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 354 or any room in the Frome wing - it's right over the Dance area and is...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank marmight
Jon G, General Manager at Carrington House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Marmight

Thank you for your detailed, constructive and indeed lengthy review. I was disappointed not to be given the opportunity to further discuss your comments in detail whilst you were at the hotel, much preferable to an impersonal response through TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your kind words directed toward the hospitality of my team, they do indeed work very hard and their recognition is much appreciated.

I'm sorry that you found your original room unacceptable, and relieved that we were able to find an alternative.

I have only been at the hotel a short while, and the company that owns the Forestdale Group has done for only 12 months. You have rightly identified a number of issues that have appeared in previous reviews, and I assure you that these are all noted and scheduled for future attention.

The hotel does have long corridors, and lifts appropriate to the voulme of footfall, as one would expect in a hotel with 145 bedrooms. I appreciate the inconvenience after a poor nights sleep.

The discolouration of water is not uncommon in Bournemouth Hotels, our water system has been thoroughly inspected by Bournemouth Water; it is safe and is as a result of galvanised pipework. You rightly mention a notice we place in all the rooms, just to explain that after running the tap for a short while the discolouration will cease.

I assure you that we do not consider any of our customers 'riff-raff' surely as has been proven by the manner in which my staff looked after you during your stay.

I have noted your comments regarding the rooms in the Frome wing, I'm not entirely sure as to 'the other accounts' that you mention in your spiele. The rooms are in good order and the few maintenance issues that maybe overlooked are addressed at the earliest convenience.

In view of the excellent staff and the other positives you mention, including the good nights sleep in room 99, I'm disappointed that you are unable to return to the hotel or indeed reccomend it to friends.

Yours sincerely

Jon Gettings
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Stayed in this hotel as part of a dance weekend. I appreciate some of the issues may be the responsibility of the organiser of the dance event, but service is service.
First off, the positives:
1) excellent dance floors in function rooms
2) bedroom massive
3) common areas - relatively modern and nice

The not so positives:
1) only a double bed despite ample room for a king size
2) Service was lacklustre and typical of "sorry Mr Fawlty" seaside resort hotels - eg glass of wine spilt on table at dinner, running out of menu choices on 2nd dinner sitting (when only 3 choices), long waits at the bar, not enough staff, not able to take a food order, no paper cups delivered to function suite within an hour of asking, expensive sandwiches
3) the biggest problem which not much can be done about. In February, even a seasonably mild February, I do not expect to be leaving my bedroom windows wide open for 2 days and nights yet still be melting hot in my room at all times. There was no fan in the room. Most of the common areas were pretty hot too.

If this was February I cannot imagine July. Maybe it normally attracts an older crowd who feel the cold, but frankly hosting 2 separate dance events, please turn up the aircon...

Finally, the food quality was poor. Sandwiches at £5 shouldn't be on basic supermarket sliced bread, and while I appreciate the budget may have been restricted, the serving of what tasted like packet soup for a gala dinner was completely unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheHH06
Dear TheHH06

Thank you for your review, I'm pleased you enjoyed the benefits of our large dancefloors, 'massive' bedrooms and modern spacious common areas.

You quite rightly have identified that we do have a budget with all of our dance groups, however the budget does allow for a very comprehensive package of entertainment offered by the organiser and a great value accommodation and meal provision by the hotel.

I'm confused by your comments regarding menu choice; all of our group menus offer four choices per course and on the rare occasion that an item is oversubscribed we always offer an alternative. We never serve packet soup, additionally I'm unaware of any other negative comments regarding food quality over the weekend you stayed.

All of our function rooms are fully air-conditioned and radiator controls are accessible in every bedroom. Fans are also available from reception if required. Details are fully explained in the Guest Compendium in every room.

We temporarily did run out of paper cups, provided as a complimentary facility for dancers, water was available from the bar, please accept my apologies for the delay in procuring further supplies.

I'm sorry a glass of wine was spilt on the table at dinner, regrettably accidents do happen.

Yours sincerely

Jon Gettings

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

My wife and I had a short break in Bournemouth and had wone the night in the Carrington House Hotel from an Auction.
The hotel staff were lovely and we felt looked after and at home.
The hotel has a lot of tour type customers but we still felt looked after being a couple. The dinner menu is fine if a little limited.
Our room was very big, comfortable, clean and had everything we needed.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CrispinBournemouth
Jon G, General Manager at Carrington House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Dear CrispinBournemouth

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I'm delighted that my staff looked after you and you were accommodated in one of our many large comfortable rooms.

We hope to see you again soon.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

Carrington House Hotel is so much better than the other hotels I have stayed in, in this part of Bournemouth.
To be honest, it strikes me as a little out of place, so much better than the Travelodge, Travel Inn and the others, that you think you are in a different town, and not in Bournemouth !
It is the staff that make the biggest difference, Becky on reception is really very nice and totally helpful. The bar and restaurant area is managed in the evenings by a very special man called Arek, he is kind, professional, humorous and just terrific company, able to discuss a wide variety of subjects. The most wonderful breakfast waitress you could meet is called Teresa, she served me both mornings during breakfast, it is worth staying here just to see what real service is at breakfast. They are all brilliant and set the hotel way up at the top of my list of places to return to.
I stayed there for 2 nights at the beginning of February 2012. I stayed in Room 104 on the 2nd floor. A small, but good little lift is available to use. My room was really nice and warm, considering it was below freezing outside, the warmth was very welcome. The room had adequate en suite facilities, a bath with shower attachment, which all worked very well. The TV was medium sized and offered the Freeview service, with the usual odd channel not having a strong enough signal to view, but this happens everywhere. Tea and Coffee facilities in my room were great, and there was nothing wrong in my room at all.
The hotel has a really nice swimming pool, large enough to swim the lengths and get some good exercise in without having to keep stopping. I used the pool both evenings and early on there is girl teaching kids to swim, with their mothers frantically looking on, neither take too kindly to a man being in the pool, so its best to swim from 6-30 p.m. onwards, then you wont get treated like an unwelcome paedophile. The changing rooms by the pool were fine, you press a button and the hotel reception 'buzz' you in through the door into the changing rooms. You need to visit the hotel's web site, because here you will see all the other facilities they have.

I recommend this hotel 100 %

Richard Kaminski.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank trigga1526
Dear trigga1526

Thank you for the taking the time to write such a detailed review following your stay with us, constructive comments of this nature are always very welcome.

I will certainly pass your comments on to Arek and the rest of the team and very much hope to see you again in the near future.

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

the staff at the hotel very friendly the head of the restuarant was excellent the food was good well done to the chiefi stop with a friend in 361
the heating did not work but portable fire was bought and also the top of a window had to be tape up because the staff could not get it to close easy but the porters werte excellent dealing with the promblem please thank michael and the member of staff from the check republice well done
yes i would come back and stop again
i have stop last year at yourmoorland links in dartmoor
my friend miss your ducks which was your trade mark tony mbe

Room Tip: make sure you do not have to take two lift to your room if you have walking difficult
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tony726
Dear tony726

Thank you for your review following your coach trip stay at the end of January.

I have passed your coments on to our Head Chef, Restaurant Manager and portering team.

I was disappointed to note that you had maintenance problems in your room, however pleased to read that they had been addressed.

If I find any ducks, I'll be sure to put them into your room for your next visit!