TLH Leisure Resort
Ranked #44 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed at the end of March at TLH in the Carlton Hotel and in one of their apartments on the ground floor. I did used to live in Torquay and actually at one time, worked at the Carlton Hotel, so for me, it was a shock to see the way it looked now to what it was at one time. Firstly, the car park does not have enough spaces and if full, you need to be aware that you have park down at the English Riviera Centre. It can be a steep walk back up Falkland Road to the Carlton, however, you can walk back up to the Carlton through the TLH Complex, however be aware, that is still a trek but nice to walk through. I was told you get your money back if you keep your receipt, and although I did get one day back, when another receptionist was on, I didn't get.
The apartment was spacious and adequate, but paint was peeling off the radiators, couple of the doors in the rooms were not fully finished with paint, the paint on the walls in the lounge area was marked and it looked jaded. In fact, that is the word I would unfortunately use for the decor also in the dining room, as it was jaded and tired looking with wall paper hanging off the walls and the overall feel of the room. We were bed and breakfast, and on day one, allocated a table but was told it was for that morning only as the following day was required for a Mr Jepson who was a regular, but we were told what table to sit on the next day. The next morning went for breakfast, but the table had been used and not cleared, so we were asked to wait outside the dining room whilst they cleared and tidied that table up, despite the fact there were other ones free. The morning after, went in for breakfast to find people sat at our table and the poor guy looking after the dining room really didn't know what to say to us! There is a great choice for breakfast from fresh fruit, to cereals to a full cooked breakfast and it is buffet style. Toast is brought to you as is the coffee or tea, but this doesn't come round enough and you have to try and stop someone to be able to obtain a refill. Whilst I appreciate that working in a dining room can be hard, the staff didn't seem to communicate between them and it seemed that one would ask if we wanted tea, coffee or toast, then another would come up and ask the same.

Going back to the room, it overlooked the entrance to the Aztec Spa/Bistro and was noisy with the swing door, slamming late into the night when people left and starting early in the morning. If there was at least one thing I would change it would be those doors as they were a pain in the preverbial!

The sofa bed was quite comfy, however on the day of arrival the bedding had not been changed on it and it was dirty, so had to ask for it to be changed. I did feel as though the receptionist looked at me as though I was demanding something quite unreasonable, however after about an hour, it still had not been changed, I had to go and ask again to be told that the were waiting for us to go out, so I asked if they could change it whilst we were there as we would not be going out that evening or if we did, it would not be until quite late. Not sure if that was an unreasonable request of ours or not, however the receptionist made it evident by her actions that she was far from happy.

There was also a little notice board in the apartment that showed the events and what was on, however the one in our apartment had not been changed and still advertised events from February, but it was the end of March when we stayed! So again, not great and made me wonder when had the apartment last been spot checked by the supervisor.

The evening entertainment was okay and there did always seem to be something going on for everyone within the complex - The staff at the Aztec Bistro were great, always smiling, really helpful and the spa and pool was lovely and for me, the highlight. Would it be a place I would recommend to others, probably not unless I knew it was going to be less disorganised and that the place was refurbished to bring it up to date. In terms of value for money, well it cost £400 for 4 nights B&B for 2 adults and was not the value I thought it was going to be as came away very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't book an apartment on the ground floor near the entrance to the Aztec Spa and Bistro
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mish6767
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Leisure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay. Firstly I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, but appreciate your detailed feedback. I assure you we take on board everyone’s opinions and views to continually develop the product we offer our guests.

When the resort is at capacity, on site parking can be an issue, which is why we always provide alternatives and ensure everyone can park their car nearby. We do reimburse parking charges and I am sorry this was not done on one day. If you send me the receipt I will gladly refund this.

I am pleased to say our apartments have had a lot of upgrading work recently with new kitchen’s, bathrooms, décor and furniture in lounges and dining areas. As I am sure you can appreciate we cannot carry out all the work at the same time and also we need to schedule this during quiet periods. The bedroom decor is scheduled to be updated this year. I will show your photos to my Property Manager and ask him to follow these issues up. I apologise for the way in which reception dealt with your problems and I will follow these up with the Reception Manager.

As a former employee I am sure you will be aware of the Murrell family who own and run TLH Leisure Resort and that they have run the hotels for over 50 years. We place great importance in developing the staff and have built the business on looking after our guests, which is why the majority of our business is repeat business.

We aim to provide value for money and price the hotels based on not only on accommodation and inclusive meals, but the access to extensive leisure facilities including Pool, spa, bowling and games arena plus day and night entertainment which is all included as part of the basic room rate. I am sorry you did not feel we were competitive and value for money.

If there is anything you would like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the Carlton Hotel.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

great place lovely staff what more could you wish for been there many times 10/10 .great pool evening was great can't fault it all the staff were great and very helpfull .will go twice this year perhaps three times .

Room Tip: rooms are quieter on the south side
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jellybelly1955
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Leisure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you for your very nice review. Kindest regards

Reviewed 10 April 2012

My family and I love coming to TLH and this was our 4th visit. We stayed in the Carlton Hotel which was as usual, very nice. The facilities at TLH are brilliant. A lot of the complex is based around an Aztec theme, which includes the amazing pools, which I had fun in every time and the lovely aztec bistro, which served delicious food and drinks. The arena games complex was brill. The arcade games were quite cheap to play on and the 10 pin bowling was a good price. The entertainment was good. We really enjoyed doing the quiz and bingo. The evening entertainment was ok, but I think it needs to vary a bit, because they had the same entertainer 3 times during our stay. I had a great holiday again here and will definitely be coming back. To improve though, I think a water slide in the pool may be nice, a bigger variety of entertainment, some new games in Arena Games and better security at entrances to things because it's very easy to get in to things like the pool without being a member or a resident.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank cool_as_a_cucumber8

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We will hopefully be announcing some really exciting news regarding the development of the Arena Games within the next 12 months. Kindest regards

Reviewed 9 April 2012

First came here in 1983 as a child and been coming back time and time again with my own children. Ive seen the facilities grow and grow over the years and my kids love the place and cant wait to come back. The staff are great and very friendly and i cant fault the food at all. The facilities are being improved and updated all the time. (remember the hotels are open all year, give them a chance to improve and update as i guess its pretty hard to do the work whilst still remaining open and not causing sum inconveniance).I cant believe sum of the reviews that people put on this site. What do u people want? End of the day its very family orientated here and if its something more upmarket that u want then my message to you is stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for posting your review. We value all feedback. We are currently redeveloping our central outside areas to include a new children’s play area with landscaped gardens for relaxing and improved access between our hotels. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. Kindest regards

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Enjoyed a 3 night short break, lovely big family room. Very clean. Great facilities including pool and spa.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Kindest regards