The Osborne Hotel
The Marstan(Torquay)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsterrace barmeadfoot beachsea viewoutdoor pooljunior suitetennis courtsthird floorlovely hotelenglish rivierasuperb locationlarge bathroomwalk into towneach eveningdining roomvery pleasant stayfirst classbed and breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Check-in was easy and staff were friendly. We stayed in a first floor suite which was amazing. Nice design, incredible views from floor to ceiling windows and a particularly nice corner bath! This hotel is within walking distance of the main town and harbour, however on the way back to the hotel it is uphill and could be considering quite a trek. So although in walking distance, it is quite far out and that is it’s only downfall. With that being said, it is within 2 minutes of a much quieter rocky beach. Would definitely recommend the hotel itself.

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank DaisyF7
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Great food. Pictures in dining room were all odd. We had the suite as in brochure. The room and bathroom looked great. The corner bath was not comfortable and the plumber had used basin taps so it took ages for the bath to fill.

There was lack of a lounge to relax in.

Room Tip: sea views at the front but they are mostly suites so more expensive
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank magicnic
Anthony G, General Manager at The Osborne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Dear magicnic
Thank you for your review and the 4* rating.
It is greatly appreciated.
I am, however a little confused by your remarks about the lounge, as we have a small lounge by reception and a larger one in the library and a third(even larger one) in the room across the hall from reception. All of these have comfortable leather couches and chairs, with tables to rest your drinks on.
The only time the largest or middle lounges would not be available is if they were in use for a function.
With regards to the taps on the bath, these were all sourced and supplied by the interior designer and building company during our recent refurbishment and are indeed bath taps.
I can only apologise that the bath took a while to fill and would have to put this down to the age of the building and the amount of people using the hot water at the time.
I was pleased to read that you you enjoyed your meal and have taken your comments about the pictures onboard.
I hope you decide to return to us in the summer, so you can truly appreciate the panoramic sea views we have on offer and to our al fresco dining on the Terrace.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

This was our first trip to the Osbourne and we were very pleased with every thing that was on offer , very good location for this fantastic building . We had a sea view superior room this was a good sized room with king size bed and a small sofa plus a nice bathroom that has been recently refiurbished .
Staff were very friendly and attentive , the breakfast menu offered plenty of choice .
Dinner in the restaurant is also very good fresh baked rolls and good wine choice to accompany your meal . We would definitely return to the Osborne.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra premium.
Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Graham M
Reviewed 15 February 2018

Seven of us booked in to have Christmas Day Luncheon at 3pm, we payed £69.95 each for the set menu by November in full. It was the biggest disaster of all time. We arrived at 2,55pm and were shown to our table, I went to the bar to by drinks and wine. At 3.30pm were were given some soggy canapes, and at 3.45pm our starters arrived less one soup, which came 10 minutes later as the staff thought it was for the main course? By 4.30pm we had still not received our main courses. There did not seem to be enough staff to cope with the numbers. I went to reception and pointed out to a member of staff our problem and asked to speak to a manager. At 4.45pm the main course arrived and the food was inedible, the Brussel sprouts were not cook and the steak was burnt to a cinder. I went to reception again and asked to see the manager only to be told this time that the manager had gone home. We decided that enough was enough and stated that we were leaving and wanted a refund, the member of staff apologised and stated that we would receive a full refund within the next two days.
We went home by taxi to a Christmas day dinner of cheese & nibbles.
A manager telephoned two days later apologised and informed me that he had made a full refund and hoped that we would return to the Osborne some time in the future.
The man should have been on stage as a comedian, who in their right mind would return after such an experience

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank PaulTorquay2014
OSBOps-Manager, Operations Manager at The Osborne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2018

Hi PaulTorquay2014 and thanks for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your Christmas dinner. I'm not going to deny that Christmas day was not the perfect day it should have been, and indeed we did make mistake. The team did everything possible to rectify the issues but unfortunately we couldn't bring the service back to the standard that it needed to be. I'm a little surprised that you were told that the Manager had gone home as I was duty until 20:30 that day. I also tried my hardest to see any guest that requested to see, however I was in the kitchen helping the team complete service.
Once again I am extremely sorry that Christmas dinner wasn't a success and this is the reason a full refund was issues without any complaint.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

Just had a birthday lunch in the "Cresent" with my girly friends.......what a great lunch..... the fresh baked bread rolls served on a slate with copious amounts of butter yummy followed by a delicious lunch served by Richard who couldn't do enough for us.... most helpful....I suggest if you live in Torquay or areas around, do try the venue, they are in the midst of reinventing the hotel....and it deserves to do well, so I thoroughly recommend this eaterie. Away from the madding crowds!!!!!!! Just do it.......

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank torquaytips
OSBOps-Manager, Operations Manager at The Osborne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Hi there torquaytips and thanks for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. I'm glad you decided to bring your girly friends for lunch and even happier with those brilliant comments. Your quite right when see we are reinventing the Osborne, we are constantly trying to improve what we do and how we do it, and comments like these prove it's working. I'll pass on your comments to Richard of course, and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.