“You only get a warm welcome if you don't have children”

The Hole In The Wall
Ranked #21 of 346 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Worcester, United Kingdom
“You only get a warm welcome if you don't have children”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Wet Thursday afternoon during half term holidays; we chose this pub, close to the harbour, for a drink after looking at the good beer guide. Before we had got through the door with our pram we were told "children not allowed". Our son is 4 months old, unlikely to cause any trouble and the pub was empty! Their website advertises "a warm welcome" but it must be reserved for the hordes of singletons looking for a quiet pub in a family-focused busy seaside town.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank AHolmesWorcester
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A proper old pub”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

A fascinating old pub a short walk from the harbour, with a listed cobbled floor. A great selection of local ales seved by friendly staff. We've only been there for drinks so far but will eat in the attractive restaurant on our next visit.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank oldbrummie
Sompting
“Great Bar - Shame about the restaurant”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We went to the historic Hole in the Wall last week in search of a good pint and good food and bit of an atmosphere. We certainly got the good ale - try the Topsail which is from the local Bays brewery, a fine ale! Atmosphere was great ; a nice mix of locals and holiday makers a nice buzz of chat and activity. The bar I must say is a very well oiled machine, run spectacularly well. If you like whiskey you have come to the best place, they have a varied selection which I really think they should advertise as it really is an eye popping selection. Do go to the bar it is worth it just for the pint and the atmosphere.
So here comes the bad bit. For someone who eats out often and isn't snobby, just likes well cooked good food at a reasonable price we were both very disappointed.
We were in the midst of a busy Saturday night and were told to wait which we were happy to do because of the fine Ale ! I ordered mussels and my other half ordered scollops on a bed of rice with a cream and brandy sauce, Main was Chicken and Ribs in BBQ sauce and I had the special of local fillet of sole topped with prawns and with a tomato concasse.
I had to have plaice in place of the sole, this was fine but no change to the price which was on the menu at £18. The mussels were ok but I felt needed some cream and the sauce was plonked together, there was no love there for the beautiful little Brixham mussels. I suspect some lazy garlic may have been used here also. My partners Scollops were cooked fine nice and sweetas they should be. However he was amused and bewildered at the bizarre idea of a boiled rice and cream savoury rice pudding affair which the scollops were presented on, I tried it and it was pretty bad, like a student kitchen experiment gone badly wrong :(
We had some hopes left for the main but alas all hope faded when my partner was presented with a plate of ribs straight from the microwaveable bag, chicken was tough and a mound of shrivelled up peas and overcooked chips finished off the BBQ fest. My fish was cooked fine although the veg accompaniment was a little strange I had over microwaved veg with a big spoonful of dauphinoise potato.. ? Not sure this really went with my tomato based fish dish.. Again confused menu and might i say confused chef? This kind of food is acceptable if you are not fussed about flavour, presentation and care. Care is the operative word here, you expect this kind of stuff in say a Harvester. This place has missed a trick, I advise redeorate the restaurant, do what you do best, shrink the menu and use the wonderful fish and seafood, ditch the pre packed ribs et al and make it a place to go to not a place you want to run from!
A crying shame.

• Visited May 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Should be named the "Slaughtered Lamb"”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Visited on a Saturday night and felt that I should not have done, locals looked at us like we were two headed, rude bar staff and four out of five real ales were not available. Might have got as bad night but wouldn't recommend. "Torquay's Oldest Pub" more like Torquay's Oldest attitude to tourists.

Visited May 2012
“Best pub in Torquay”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Been coming to Torquay for years, can't believe it took use so long to find this gem. Has become a regular fixture when we visit devon.

1 Thank dilbert_halflife