“The most wonderful welcome and stay”

Plymouth Backpackers Hotel
Reviewed 27 July 2017

Our family had the most amazing stay at Plymouth Backpackers Hostel. Karen went above and beyond to make us feel so incredibly welcome and taken care of. What an incredible woman! There was also a really interesting crew of regulars staying there who also helped to make our stay interesting and fun. A real highlight of our trip!

Room Tip: The top floor was nice and quiet in an area that I imagine can get quite rowdy.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 22 December 2016

The room had all we needed although moving the beds revealed a lack of detail in the cleaning as the floor beneath them was covered in crap. Location was ideal with everything we needed within walking distance. Apparantly a notouriously rough area but we encountered no problems. Friendly staff and people.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam M
Reviewed 13 December 2016

If I could, I would give this hostel a 0. Not a 2.

THERE IS A CURFEW ON THE DORMS. It looks as though they changed this after I raised the issue of it not being stated anywhere on the page. In fact, I was under the impression that there wasn’t one at all, so when I arrived, I was told that I must be in by 1:00am (now states 2:00am but don’t be surprised if it’s a lie). I would not have bothered booking if I had known.

Upon arrival, I was asked to wait outside, as the person who runs the place apparently doesn’t accept ‘extra guests’ of people with rooms, even though I had booked a room. Management should not make such degenerate assumptions and ask their CUSTOMERS to wait outside in the cold before they get a chance to explain that they HAVE booked a room. If that wasn’t bad enough, she tried to crack a joke about how I owed £50, but I don’t think she has ever smiled in her life, so it was an incredibly awkward experience. Absolute misery.

If you’re a female, don’t bother booking. From the vibe that I got, she’s more than happy for the guys to be around, but doesn’t take to young women. She also imposes on the common area, or sits opposite it so that you’re constantly being watched, making the environment very uncomfortable. We couldn’t even enter it because it felt so toxic. She should NOT be working there.

I went into my friend’s hostel room in order to collect the belongings that I had left while we were getting ready to go out. The woman in charge thundered up the stairs to bang viciously on the door. Then came the shouting about how I would wake everyone up. Yes, shouting. About how I was waking people up. The quiet girl collecting her pyjamas. Sure. She also yelled at me about the curfew, which was NOT MENTIONED before my arrival. What an absolute joke.

Besides feeling as though every second of this period was being watched by a sociopathic mother, the place was a state. The dingy showers were black with mould, the rooms smelt like faeces, and after walking on the carpet for five minutes, my white socks were blackened. We were so repulsed that we didn’t even bother to go down for breakfast.

Oh, and bring blankets. It’s about as warm as an ice rink in there. Actually, just don’t book. As much as I hate to admit, Travelodge or Premier Inn is worth the extra pennies.

I have been to an abundance of hostels, and never have I had such a disgusting experience. The member of staff that we encountered was rude in every manner. Unfortunately, we did not get to meet anyone else; I’m sure anyone would have been nicer than her. This is not a place that I would ever recommend to another human being in my life.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Lee W, Owner at Plymouth Backpackers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2017

I am very sorry that you felt this way. Please let me know if there is anything I can do personally although I feel that there may have been a personality clash between yourself and Karen. I will certainly look into all the areas of concern that you have mentioned and although we are a backpackers/budget hotel we do try to keep our standards as high as possible.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

Stayed here for a couple of days using Plymouth as a base to explore the area. Hostelbookers screwed up my booking but the staff accommodated me. Clean and friendly. Good budget accommodation. The location was within walking distance of the centre too.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2016 via mobile

The worst place ever to stay.The owner,Karen is so unfriendly soon after she receives your money.No smile,just sits in her chair with her smelly dog that I dint think has had a bath in years.Don't know about Karen's cleanliness.I don't and will Never ever stay there again even if I was stranded.I even stayed out one night,having already paid for my stay.Never ever again.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Velayadum

I am very sorry you felt this way. I know Karen was going through a difficult time during your period of stay due to her dog, that she had had since he was a puppy, was unwell. Karen tells me that you understood that there was a curfew and it sounds like you were unable to make it back in time which is perhaps the reason you stayed out all night. Please understand that we put a curfew in place for the benefit of the other hotel guests.