“Cosy and creative.”

Glow-Worm Stained Glass
Ranked #13 of 51 Shopping in Plymouth
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Came once years ago to the charming old perused in Underlane. Heard that they moved a few years ago and dismayed that they had moved to a unit on a light industrial estate. So, very pleased to find that spirit remains and the cosiness has remarkably been preserved. They do good stuff here and train novices and skilled enthusiast. Good completed work to buy. Lot of existing Windows restored or repaired and commissions very well done. Go look see. Easy to get to from Marsh Mills roundabout.

3  Thank Hilly J
ray081, Owner at Glow-Worm Stained Glass, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for your review. We outgrew our old building in Underwood road and decided to move to a small unit to enable us to expand our stock and take on more students. It was of some concern that Glow-worm would lose it's identity and become too commercial. We tried very hard not to let that happen and we feel that we've succeeded. It's still the same old friendly, welcoming place but in a different location and we're very pleased with the move.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I found Ray's glass workshop on the internet, it sounded interesting and coming from London the possibility of a concentrated 5 days was perfect. It exceeded my expectations in many ways. The constantly changing but invariably friendly learners of all ages and interests, was an inspiration , as was the ability to see their work in progress. I was able to learn about different types of glass working, mainly stained glass techniques both lead and copper foil as well as fusion, making examples of all of them good enough to use in my home decorations. All materiels were provided in the cost of the course. Ray was an excellent teacher, guiding and encouraging while letting you 'have a go!' His appraisals were frequent and honest. I am really looking forward to returning flexibly to undertake more ambitious projects...I am hooked! Gill from London

4  Thank 1948gillm
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Thank you Ray for a very interesting course set in a relaxed and informal atmosphere, where I was able to complete a small leaded glass window and a copper foil sun catcher, which I am very proud of.
Ray was very flexible as to which week I attended for 4 hours a day, which suited me while I was visiting family nearby. I received one to one tuition, from a man who is passionate about his craft, and then given time to practice each stage.I also had the opportunity to meet other learners who were working on their projects so inspiring me further.
I am now back home keen to put into practice what I have learned knowing I can ring Ray for advice and further support.Ray also supplies everything I need for future projects, which is very convenient and the stock of leaded glass available is amazing.
I thoroughly enjoyed starting a new hobby and feel able to continue now at home which is what I was hoping for.
Joan from Loughborough.

6  Thank Joan W
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I discovered Glow-Worm Glass by looking for courses/workshops where I could try out making stained glass, something I had wanted to do for a while. In finding Glow-Worm I discovered a 'little gem'. Ray is an excellent teacher with a wealth of knowledge, and patience. I finished the 6 weeks (plus 1 free week - thank you) knowing that stained glass is just what I want to do and carry on with. Its only time and distance that is stoping me continuing with lessons, but I know where to come for help when I get stuck or it all goes wrong.

Thank you.