“Welcomed for drinks only”

Samuel Jones Smoke & Ale House
Ranked #116 of 582 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 24
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, British, Bar, Grill
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Based in the heart of Exeter's bustling quayside development, Samuel Jones offers comfortable casual dining and drinking with a fresh and contemporary urban feel. Our exclusive robata grill is a hive of activity for our extensive smokehouse menu. We offer a range of craft ales, lagers, ciders and stouts from around the world, served in a 1/3, 2/3 schooner or a pint!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

As tourists wandering round Exeter popped in for late afternoon drinks. Coffee, wine beers all available . Safe for ladies in afternoon. Genial helpful bar staff. Good view. Large establishment.No rush, stay as long as you like. In March surronding quay area seemed very dead. My pals said good range of ales.

SamuelJonesExeter, General Manager at Samuel Jones Smoke & Ale House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Hi
Thank you for your lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed your time here. We now do live music every Thursday so we will hopefully see you here again for another drink.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We took friends here for lunch as in the past we have enjoyed it here. Found ourselves shocked at the hike in prices and the poor food. My chicken had to be sent back as it was uncooked and bleeding inside so instead I was given a chicken burger which was tasteless. Its a shame because its such a beautiful restaurant with great views of the quay and the staff are nice.

I am truly sorry to read your review. We are currently looking at the half sticky chickens. As explained to you they are put in a sous vide for 3 hours and then smoked for 2 hours. We then cook them for 45 minutes again. Because of the chicken being on the bone they have blood vessels. We understand that customers sometimes see this as the chicken not being cooked but I can assure you they are. We are currently looking at a way of presenting the chicken to put the customers mind at rest. I hope you will come back to us as we have great choices on the menu and listen to all customer feedback to ensure we are giving you the best service we can.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Great location on the Quayside. Very friendly and helpful staff, great ambience and lots of choice of food and drinks. Great service, good prices considering the location.

SamuelJonesExeter, General Manager at Samuel Jones Smoke & Ale House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you for this lovely review. I will ensure I let the team know of your thoughtful comments

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Basically what it says in the title. It's a nice spot for drinks, we've been to the acoustic busking sessions in the summer too but really the couple of times we've eaten the food been pretty ropey so we don't bother any more. They could do with a better stout though, i've started going next door as they serve Dark Side which is amazing. BUT the staff here are pretty good and i do go back regularly. They are pretty family friendly too (and dog friendly, but we don't have a dog so that's not a priority for us)

Thank you for your review. I hope you will come and join us for some food in the future as we have a new menu, along with great new suppliers. The food quality has truly grown over the last few months. We are starting live music on Thursday evenings from 8pm. The first Thursday is on the 12th April. The stout we sell is Menha Dhu from St Austell brewery. We change our Ale products selection daily. We also have on at present HSD which is a raisin & toffee darker Ale.

Again thank you for your review

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Having booked a meal for my birthday with late notice and a table for 13, I couldn't have been happier with the awesome food and service at Samuel Jones! Our server Bev was amazing and went the extra mile to make me and my family happy! I even had a special birthday message on my table! We were all very impressed and will certainly be coming back soon.

Hi

Thank you for this great review. I will be sure to let Bev know that she made your evening special. We look forward to seeing you soon

Becky