All reviews fudge beer garden the pub cellar bar complimentary port mary arches great toiletries hotel stay family party boutique hotel slight issue next morning no lift sky tv at short notice sunday roast double glazing
Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

Had a night away in this hotel booked last minute. We could not fault it. The breakfast was lovely, freshly cooked and well worth £10. Very central location close to shops, bars and restaurants. Very friendly, helpful bar staff. Would definitely return and would stay for the whole weekend.

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed 28 October 2018

This was a really nice boutique hotel right in the heart of Exeter. The outside does not reflect the nice interior rooms (albeit if you have luggage, it is hard to negotiate the stairs). The receptionists are helpful and the room, whilst not huge is comfortable and adequate. The bathroom was lovely and one of the cleanest I have encountered. They leave brownies and port for you, which is a lovely touch. Also having sweet treats and drinks to buy is a nice touch too. We ate dinner in the restaurant which was excellent. The waiter was attentive and pleasant and the food was really amazing. I can honestly say that my colleague’s fried fish was the largest I have ever seen and my polenta chips were heavenly. Breakfast was nice but the lady serving, who was also on the computer, was a bit haphazard and she seemed to be forgetting who ordered what. Overall a lovely stay and a hotel to which I will be returning to when I go back to Exeter.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
City Gate E, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2018

Hello Ann L,

I hope yo are well and having a good week.

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review, I am am really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the special little touches.

I have passed your lovely feedback to the team who always appreciate customer feedback. I must personally apologise for my service at breakfast and can assure you it is not normally the case, I will make it up to you on your next visit.

I hope you will stay with us again when you next visit Exeter.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful hotel. Full of character. Room was immaculate with modern chic decor. Sadly didn’t have the time to check out the bar or dining options. Would definitely recommend to anyone visiting this lovely city.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
City Gate E, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2018

Hello William L,

I hope you are well.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I am glad you enjoyed you stay in our boutique hotel! I love the character of the building, it suits the city perfectly but naturally I am a little bias. You must try our breakfast and dinner menu, when you are next in Exeter.

Hopefully you will stay on your next visit to Exeter!

Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

An off the cuff lunch with the girls. We sat outside in the garden as the weather was great and had a lovely lunch, staff were great, prices satisfactory and food was superb. We will definitely be back.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hello JugzJules,

I hope you are well.

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review and I am glad you enjoyed lunch with your ladies! I will pass your kind comments back to our team.

Hopefully you will visit again soon, you should pop in on a Sunday to try our Roast!

Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Just stayed the night after finding it online, needed somewhere to stay close to the rail station .what a great little hotel. Rooms tastefully done and modern without ruining the old world charm of this old pub/ hotel. Did not eat here as we went for a walk, lots of restaurants nearby. Lovely bar inside and the food I saw other diners with looked very good with ample portions.
Will definitely stay here again if I am ever back this way and would recommend to others if passing through.
Limited parking but there are places nearby.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
City Gate E, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Hello pmc245,

I hope you are enjoying your week.

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The City Gate.

We strive every day to ensure our guests have a wonderful, relaxing experience at our hotel and it is extremely encouraging for someone to tell us. I have passed your kind comments onto the rest of the team so that we can continue to provide our guests with the highest level of service.

Once again please accept my sincere thanks and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards