All reviews fudge beer garden the pub cellar bar complimentary port boutique hotel hotel stay next morning no lift sky tv nespresso machine exeter central station little touches mini bar couple of nights a lovely stay member of staff
Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Just stayed the night after finding it online, needed somewhere to stay close to the rail station .what a great little hotel. Rooms tastefully done and modern without ruining the old world charm of this old pub/ hotel. Did not eat here as we went for a walk, lots of restaurants nearby. Lovely bar inside and the food I saw other diners with looked very good with ample portions.
Will definitely stay here again if I am ever back this way and would recommend to others if passing through.
Limited parking but there are places nearby.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
City Gate E, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Hello pmc245,

I hope you are enjoying your week.

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The City Gate.

We strive every day to ensure our guests have a wonderful, relaxing experience at our hotel and it is extremely encouraging for someone to tell us. I have passed your kind comments onto the rest of the team so that we can continue to provide our guests with the highest level of service.

Once again please accept my sincere thanks and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Lovely big room and decor funky and warm.
Staff fabulous, welcoming and nothing too much trouble. A little issue we had was sorted immediately and with a smile.
Location great. Didn't eat in the bar this time round so can't comment other than the menu looked great.
We will be back

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Morning Lynda P,

I hope you are very well!

This type of thoughtful feedback is extremely helpful and important to us in delivering the highest levels of quality and service to our valuable customers. I will ensure your lovely comments are passed back to our team.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Yes the beer garden might be nice but I felt well and truly ‘stung’ when paying nearly £18 for a beer, a glass of rather average wine and a tiny tub of peanuts, I won’t be rushing back or recommending this place! In future I will support independent pubs rather than profiteering corporations. I can’t can’t comment on the food as it would be way beyond my budget!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
City Gate E, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2018

Hello Steve W,

I hope you are well.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the City Gate.

Our prices reflect the premium products that we have to offer and the service that is provided with them. That being said, you can purchase a pint, a large glass of wine and a snack for £10.25 which is very competitive within Exeter.

I wish you a lovely weekend and I am very sorry that you do not plan a return visit.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

We decided last minute to stop in Exeter and read previous reviews on Tripadvisor so decided to take a chance. We never normally consider pub type accommodation but this was superb. Parking is a short walk and the hotel reception is separate from the bar which was good. We were checked in to Room 15 on the top floor, 2 short flights of stairs, no lift. On opening the door we were amazed, gorgeous view of Exeter Cathedral and a gorgeous room, super clean with loads of attention to detail and extra touches, really fantastic. Free little port and brownie bites, full mini fridge, drawer full of confectionery and high quality crisps and a Nespresso machine with a good selection of pods. The complimentary tea bags were organic and fresh milk in the fridge. The bathroom was great, lovely shower, great toiletries and a proper hairdryer in a bad hanging off the wardrobe door. So, impressed by this we decided to eat downstairs in the pub. We realised it was the same chain as our local so happy to eat there, step above the normal, definitely gastropub, asked for rare steak and got rare! Could anything get better during this experience? Anna (think deputy manager?) we encountered her at all points, reception, restaurant and behind the bar and her customer service is excellent, she made our stay even better and is absolutely what genuine hospitality is all about. We didn’t stay for breakfast so can’t comment but we left very happy and would definitely recommend

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Sarahmiso
City Gate E, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Good Morning Sarahmiso,

I hope you are well and enjoying your week.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We set our selves very high customer service standards and we really do appreciate when our guests tell us that we are achieving these standards.

I will pass your lovely comments on to Anna, who will be over the moon.

We hope that when you decide to stop in Exeter again, that we will be your first stop.

Have a great day!

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night whilst my husband had emergency surgery on his back at Nuffield Health Hopsital. They staff were friendly the room was beautifully styled and very clean.

The complimentary fudge was such a lovely touch and I loved the teabags that were supplied.

I have already discussed staying here again with my husband!

Trip type: Travelled solo

Hello Laura M,

I hope you and your husband are well.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely review, we appreciate all guest feedback!

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in the near future.

Have a lovely day.