The City Gate Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Exeter(Exeter)(Great Value!)
US$ 85
US$ 121
  • Pool
US$ 97
Agoda.com
Jurys Inn Exeter(Exeter)(Great Value!)
US$ 83
US$ 80
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfudgebeer gardenthe pubcomplimentary portmary archesslight issueno liftnext morninggreat bathroomboutique hotelcentral locationsky tvdouble glazinggood sizefew minutes walka great nights sleeplittle touches
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

The room itself was beautifully finished with lovely touches, such as real milk, craft teas and good quality coffee, fudge and port- however the room was very small for the price. The breakfast was very disappointing- friendly staff but we were the only couple being served and we had to wait around 20 minutes for each “course” and we didn’t order full cooked so not sure why it took so long! The fruit on offer was tired- wrinkled grapes and one dried out nectarine complimented the apples and oranges. Great location for the city.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Hello LWBD,

I hope you are well.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit at the City Gate.

I have passed your comments regarding our breakfast service to the relevant managers, we very much appreciate our guests comments and your feedback enables us to make continued improvements to the service we on offer.

I would like to thank you for choosing The City Gate and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Exeter. Please let me know when you return, so I can ensure you are looked after and are assigned a larger room.

Have a lovely day.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Me & my partner came here to spend our anniversary - beautifully finished bedroom and bathroom, felt very homely - lovely staff very attentive and helpful. Great location as right in the heart of town. Really enjoyed our stay here! We definitely be back soon!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Hello Elisha,

I hope you are well.

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The City Gate.

This type of thoughtful feedback is extremely helpful and important to us in delivering the highest levels of quality and service to our valuable customers.

I hope you had a wonderful anniversary and I am glad you chose to spend it with us.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back in the near future. Why not try our Sunday Roast next time you stay with us!

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

From the moment we arrived, the staff were very welcoming and attentive every time we saw any of them. Our room was lovely, a very high standard and offered a great nights sleep.
The bar area felt pleasant and appeared to be a desirable spot to go which felt nice as we could have quite easily stayed and drank all evening.
Menu looked lovely, we had already made plans to eat elsewhere but will certainly dine there next time.
We parked in in the Mary Arches car park which is just across the road, £12 for the day.
Hotel experience 10/10.
Awesome.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Good Morning Robin G,

I hope you are well!

We appreciate all feedback from our customers experiences and thoughtful reviews like yours, really does go a very long way!

I am glad your enjoyed your room, next time you stay, feel free to ask for the same room.

I will pass all of your positive comments back to our team and I hope you will be able to join us again in the near future. On a Sunday morning, we offer our guests to swap their breakfast for Sunday Roast!

Have a lovely day.

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed at The City Gate on Friday 11th Jan. We had a very welcoming arrival and we're shown to our lovely room. The rooms and bathrooms are decorated to a really high standard with real attention to detail. There was a little bottle of port and some fudge which was complimentary and a really nice touch. The bed was very comfortable and in the morning we enjoyed a coffee in bed made from the nespresso machine in the room. The bar area is large, well decorated and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. There is a large selection of drinks. We had a very pleasant stay and would go back again as there was plenty to do in Exeter, and we needed more time to explore. Would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay again when we visit next time. Thanks for having us.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Hello Katrina C,

I hope you had a lovely weekend!

I am so glad you enjoyed all of the little 'home from home' touches, Rollie's fudge (our fudge provider) is to die for!

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back in the near future. Did you know that if you stay on a Saturday night, you can swap your breakfast for a Sunday lunch instead?

Reviewed 9 January 2018

I only stayed one night but here are my thoughts on this charming hotel: Some lovely finishing touches to the well-appointed rooms. The complementary port and fudge was very welcome. Good, thick curtains left the room dark even on a bright morning. Overall beautiful decor and facilities with an impressive conservatory and beer garden. The catering at the party I attended in the cellar was top notch nosh too

Breakfast however, which was included in my room rate for an additional £15 was a little on the stingy side. Don't expect unlimited toast and heaps of bacon - I was allotted 1rasher and 1sausage and no mushrooms or other veg. It must be noted that the malted bread (which pretended to be toasted) and the poached eggs were glorious and a sprig of watercress was a nice touch. Coffee was a little on the stringent side and the cereal selection was sugar-coated madness (cornflakes and cocopops) and the croissants looked shrunken and shy... I was alone in the dining room which I guess made me feel a bit like the croissants... otherwise a lovely place with convenient location and great facilities for a party!

Room Tip: Try asking for rooms further away from the bar - in the summer I can imagine the beer garden being quite noisy too
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Hello Christopher K,

I hope you are well and have had a good start to the new year!

I am glad your enjoyed the catering and hopefully the party too! I have passed your comments regarding the breakfast back to the relevant departments, so that we can continue to make improvements.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back in the near future. If you stay on a Saturday night, did you know you can swap your breakfast for a roast?