All reviews fudge beer garden the pub cellar bar complimentary port mary arches great toiletries stylish decor hotel stay family party boutique hotel slight issue next morning no lift sky tv at short notice wonderful hotel
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Centrally located. Cosy rooms with very comfortable beds and stylish bathrooms.

Didn’t have breakfast as this is not included and ate in the town.

Tip: if you are a light sleeper recommend taking ear plugs as some rooms directly above the bar area. I did and slept very well.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank LucyC915
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2017

Hello LucyC915,

I hope you had a lovely Christmas!

We haven't had comments regarding the background noise from the pub however next time you visit we will ensure you are on the top floor. Do not hesitate to give me a call before your next stay, so that I can personally pre assign your room.

I would like to thank you for choosing The City Gate and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Exeter. We have amazing Dinner, Bed & Breakfast packages available this January!

Reviewed 17 December 2017

We booked 2 rooms for 2 nights for ourselves and our daughter and Grandchildren, it was an ideal base for a Christmas shopping and Christmas market trip. The rooms were excellent, our daughter and her children had an enormous room. Our room was very good, but as another guest said the bathroom was a tad chilly! The stairs provide a good workout after the very good food on offer, our daughter and her children are vegetarians and were impressed by the choices on offer in the restaurant. We were all impressed by the friendliness and efficiency of the restaurant staff, they couldn’t do enough for us, even though they were rushed off of their feet with Christmas parties.w all had an excellent weekend and will definitely book again. We loved the fudge!

Room tip: Even though the Hotel was very busy with parties, we didn’t have any noise travelling up to our rooms..
Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Hello Jos B,

I hope you are enjoying the festive period.

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The City Gate.

We strive every day to ensure our guests have a wonderful, relaxing experience at our hotel and it is extremely encouraging for someone to tell us. I have passed your kind comments onto the rest of the team so that we can continue to provide our guests with the highest level of service.

We get our fudge supply from the local Rollie's Fudge, is it not to die for?

Once again please accept my sincere thanks and we hope to welcome you back in the near future. We will have Dinner, Bed & Breakfast packages available in January, type JANRETREAT18 into the add code section of our website.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

This is a beautiful boutique hotel in the city centre. All rooms are individually decorated to a very high standard. Our room was enormous and all very high quality finished. The stairs to rooms are very steep. Whilst the hotel is along a road, noise was not a problem.
The young staff are very friendly, but lack a little professionalism in customer service and often seen just chatting amongst themselves and very not overly responsive to minor queries and issues.
Breakfast is quite an expensive additional cost, we ate in one morning but would recommend eating at the huge variety of other restaurants in the city.
Parking is not available at the hotel, however parking over night is available in the neighbouring streets, this was not a problem.
We had a lovely stay and would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

Hello CambridgeshireBots,

I hope you are well!

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit at the City Gate, we very much appreciate our guests comments and your feedback enables us to make continued improvements to the service we on offer. I will pass your comments back to the relative department to ensure this is looked into.

I am glad you love the bedrooms, they most definitely are beautiful, I only wish I could personally take credit for them!

I would like to thank you for choosing The City Gate and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Exeter. We will have a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast package starting at £110 for 2 in January!

Reviewed 30 November 2017

We stayed one night at the City Gate. It is in a convenient position for the city centre but not quite close enough to walk to the station easily. The room was comfortable with a large bed, no noise for us even though we were road side - the window was sealed shut with a slidable double glazing unit. Just small things stop this boutique hotel from being wonderful - the taps were hard to control and the bathroom cold. Apart from that it was really good value for money and very pleasant. The missing point is for the breakfast which neither of us enjoyed - the coffee, sausages and bread in particular.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Hello Moorlander A,

I will pass your comments back to the chef regarding these problem areas at breakfast and hope it did not affect your experience us to much!

I would like to thank you for choosing The City Gate and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Exeter. In January we will be offering a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast special rate!

Reviewed 24 November 2017

I loved my stay here. We had a lovely welcome with complimentary fudge and port on arrival. The room was tasteful, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. I really couldn't say anything bad about it.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Morning PAT190737,

I hope you are well.

This type of thoughtful feedback is extremely helpful and important to us in delivering the highest levels of quality and service to our valuable customers.

Everyone indeed loves the complimentary fudge and port!

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back in the near future. We will be offering Dinner Bed & Breakfast packages in January, so keep your eyes peeled.

Have a great day.