See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 September 2017

The worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Rooms need condemned, and although there is some renovations in progress, nothing short of complete demolition and rebuild would bring this up to standard.
At the beginning of the university term, rooms are hard to come by in Exeter, but if this is your only option take a sleeping bag and choose a park bench instead.
Highlight was the staff who were helpful and the breakfast which was average.

Room Tip: Book into the Premier Inn just down the road
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank 2nig66
Reviewed 14 September 2017

Filthy, awful room, awful hotel, location is quite close to the station, but I might recommend sleeping on a bench at the station in preference. I checked out and went over the road to the Premier Inn.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2017

The worst hotel I can recall staying in was the Chiswick Court years ago where even the beds were a disgrace. This is a lot better - but not all that good,

Exeter is pricy when it comes to hotels and I think I paid £79 for this wreck of what was once a top one.

The staff friendly though, except for what I took to be the proprietor, a condescending individual who seemed to have had a charisma bypass.

Apart from the bar I'd say it hasn't been properly refurbished for 30 years. They have an Indian restaurant now. One wonders what it might be like.

The room was Ok if a little poky. Breakfast rudimentary - but again friendly staff.

The only advantage really is it's near the station

Room Tip: Dont end up on the top floor. No lift.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2017

I booked too late to get a B&B or a good hotel in Exeter, so I decided to take a chance. That proved to be a mistake. There is no lift in this hotel, so if you are on the second floor, be prepared to carry your luggage up the stairs. The bed was hard to sleep on because the foot was higher than the head, and if I didn't sleep next to the wall, I would roll off onto the floor. I slept with my head at the foot of the bed. The bathroom was through a narrow door, and I had to step up to enter it. It was so small that when I crossed my fingers together and held them at the middle of my chest, my elbows touched the sides of the bathroom. The carpet was old and shabby, and I didn't want to be barefoot on it. The 3 or 4 plastic hangers had come from a clothing store. I knew this because of the size stickers on a couple of them. I was on the street side, and the noise from outside was constant until about 1 am, and started back up before 6 am. There was also a lot of noise coming from the dinning room directly below my room until around 11:30 pm. The best thing I can say for the hotel was the breakfast that was below average. The scrambled eggs were a bit oily, and were rolled up into little cone shapes. I'm sure they were cooked some time before breakfast started. If you read this and still stay there, I'm sure you will be sorry.

Room Tip: Good luck finding a good room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank davidkhrc
Reviewed 30 August 2017

The place is a bit 'tired' but I noticed some decorating being done. Breakfast on second day was poor. I had smoked haddock and it was inedible. The Full English was fine. Breakfast room very aged, cups and tea bags but nowhere to put the used bag except on the saucer - even those were missing on last day. On check-out, no bill and payment had already been taken!! Pity, as quite reasonable - just small details!! The pub has a great atmosphere and the staff were quite friendly.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the front. Very busy road.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business