All reviews spiral staircase central location cooked fresh free parking cathedral
Reviewed 15 December 2017

We had our office Christmas party at St. Olaves in 2017. 55 people for a sit down meal followed by a live band.

Sadly, the food was pretty grim. We were served dry, reheated Turkey and a trio of mousses for desert which had spent the evening sat in an adjacent room, uncovered and were mostly left on people's plates after dinner.

Staff were generally unhappy and short with guests. They had no fresh lime at the bar and when we asked for some music to be played we were told to use a docking station which didn't work.

We made the most of it but the venue could have easily put on a much better party with a little more effort. It's a shame because, having eaten and had parties at Forn, the restaurant next door which seems to be under the same management, I had really high expectations. Forn is great, St. Olaves is not.

My colleague just reminded me that the Christmas decorations were woefully pathetic. uninflated balloons dangling from light fittings isn't up to scratch for the type of event we had planned.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for one night. So positives first. City centre location, parking available, great bars, food & shops in walking distance.
So... I can imagine in its heyday this was a great place, full of character and warmth. It was badly maintained, lack of onsite staff, doors that don’t shut, peeling paint, the list goes on and on! It’s in a very bad almost dangerous state of repair (fire alarm isolated for our entire visit with faults flashing up!) .
I understand it’s being converted into managed accommodation which explains its current state.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank scm27
Reviewed 29 October 2017

Sadly gone downhill. Stayed here a few times before and was great. Stayed here recently on my own and was truly awful. Restaurant closed. Bar closed. No staff. Room not cleaned. I reluctantly have to say do not stay here.

Room tip: Do not stay here
Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank cjb621
Reviewed 23 October 2017

I decided on a last minute decision to go and visit my friend in Exeter, So I needed a cheap but central place to stay as I was going to be arriving late. Booking through booking.com I found the cheapest and most central place and went ahead with the booking. On arrival, at around 9pm, I was greated by a very unexpected beautiful courtyard area and was instructed to go through to the neighbouring bar area to collect my keys- as this was run by St Olaves too. The bar was the nicest of places so we grabbed a few drinks there whilst the manager collected our keys and very willingly offered to bring them to us whilst we enjoyed our drinks. We made friends with the staff very quickly, the bar manager was lovely and made us an array of cocktails to suprise us etc. This was when we were greeted with the bad news that booking.com had decided to book us into a hotel that was infact full.

With knowledge of this the manager then proceeded very apologetically to her office where she searched and searched for a place for me to stay that was central. We carried on enjoying our drinks and very quickly the manager had booked us a room in a hotel very near by. She paid for our taxi to the other venue (after we enjoyed a few more drinks) and I was reimbursed with the difference in money as the new place was a little more expensive. I didn't quite catch the ladies name but I am so thrilled with the way that the situation was handled and I do not blame them one bit. The managers attitude towards us and everything that she did for us was the best I have recieved in a long time, even in some of the very high end places I have stayed in and I can't thank the said manager and St Olaves enough for that. Regardless of the conditions of the spaces they have to offer this sort of service goes a long way and really makes a stay worthwhile when going away. I really look forwards to visiting you again very soon (definately not booking it through booking.com this time)

Room tip: Quiet area- no sound from the bar, beautiful little space
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2017

This was our fourth or fifth visit here but we feel a little disappointed by our most recent one. When we arrived the reception was closed and we had to go to the bar to get someone to book us in. We asked why this was and were told rather wearily that the other staff weren’t available that day. We have no complaints about the comfort of the rooms but we felt that the price of breakfast was rather high and so went elsewhere. Everything seemed rather hand to mouth and the decor was tired - scuffed paintwork, worn carpets etc. When we remarked on this we were told that the hotel is being converted into serviced apartments next year, so I think this will be our last visit there. The location is good, close to the cathedral, shops and places to eat.

Date of stay: September 2017