“Stylish, modern convenience in old school grandeur”

Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 19 November 2017

We stayed recently for 1 night on a pleasure trip on our first visit to Exeter. We both have extensive experience of business trips and so have become quite particular/ fussy when staying away. We were delighted with our stay at this beautiful hotel. Friendly, efficient, interested reception , both day and night who engaged with us as customers and humans rather than just someone to be processed.
We had a standard double. Room was light, bright, modern and stylish. The windows opened so we could have fresh air which is rare these days. It was not stuffy or overheated as so many rooms now are. Quiet and comfortable with a large very comfortable bed. Excellent night's sleep.
Public rooms : beautiful old grandeur with many original architectural features.
Breakfast : Hot and fresh with good range of hot and cold dishes including cooked breakfast, granola, yoghurts, cheeses and eggs benedict. £10 per person, very good value and good quality.
Only disappointment was their Starbucks coffee we had in the lounge which was machine rather than barista made, oversweet and tepid. Please go back to making proper coffee yourself rather than rely on chain machines.
Everything else was exceptional and we're looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
RougemontExeter, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2017

Dear Travel b

We are all delighted to read your great comments about our Hotel - particularly the fact that you enjoyed the great service provided by the team in our newly refurbished bedrooms.

I am sorry you were disappointed with our Starbucks coffee - the quality of the coffee provided is of a superior quality from what we normally provide, but I will get someone to look at the temperature as it should be nice and hot.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2017

Sadly, this place has deteriorated in recent years. The location is perfect for the station and the city. However, the newly 'upgraded' rooms are small, look like a Premier Inn room but of course for your extra bucks you get fluffy robes and a coffee machine. Truly not worth the extra. If you go for a standard room, most are larger but the rooms we have had the past 2 years (an annual trip) have noisy extraction from the kitchen and running until 23.00, starting up again at 05.30. We also found both rooms uncomfortably warm and that was with windows open (limited to 3 inches) and radiators off. Staggered this year to find that on Saturdays the breakfast menu is not available. Fine there's a standard buffet breakfast but if you want porridge or fancy eggs benedict or similar, you're out of luck. Fine if you pay less for your Friday night accommodation but we didn't. We usually rebook on departure but we've decided to look at other options.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Dear Gypsy008

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I am sorry to see that you were disappointed with your recent stay.

As a Victorian Hotel, no two rooms are the same size, however our Privilege rooms, which although vary in size, are either large in floor space, or have a sofa area which guests like to use. Whilst our recent refurbishment has not actually changed the actual size of the guest bedrooms, I do appreciate your comment about the robes and the coffee machine, however the rooms also include a mini-fridge with mineral water and soft drinks, a true King-sized bed (rather than the zip and links) and a 48" TV as well. I understand from the Reception team that you had requested two inter-connecting rooms on both stays which are normally larger to fit extra beds in for additional children.

I am sorry that it appears that the breakfast menus were not on place on the second morning of your stay. Please be assured that guests are still able to order porridge or special egg dishes on any day of the week.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

My wife and I are staying overnight whilst visiting our son at Exeter university to celebrate his birthday.
It is now close to 1.00am and we have not been able to sleep for some considerable time. Why can we not sleep you might ask! Let me tell you...it’s because of the Boom, Boom, Boom of the heavy Bass coming from downstairs in the function room, an event that was not mentioned to us at the time of booking. Occasionally the Booming stops. Thank god I thought, but hold on....I now start to hear the hideous high pitched screaming of young girls whom I suppose to be drunk on the street pavement outside. That followed supposedly by young men shouting out for whatever reason. Our windows are firmly closed but to no avail. It is now after 1.00am and the event noise has finally stopped. The screaming and shouting, perhaps linked to the function room event - who knows, is gradually dying down but not gone completely.
Our room in its self is lovely spoilt only by the noise.
I am thinking of sleep and looking forward to breakfast but this will likely be my first and last visit to this hotel, probably the worst experience in terms of noise levels for some considerable time.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Dear Alan W

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the noise from the function at the Hotel and the associated noise with our city centre location.

I am sorry that this detterred from your enjoyment at the Hotel.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Absolutely dreadful. Arrived to friendly reception staff to be told you may suffer some minor disruption due to an awards dinner. That disruption entailed a full party and not being able to hear TV over vibrations and noise of said party two floors lower. When asked to move was advised we could have a single room. Not much use for two people. No attempt to reduce sound volume or to offer compensation. Have stayed before successfully but will need to see how matters are addressed tomorrow before staying again. Very poor.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Jamesh71

Thank you for your constructive feedback of your recent stay.

Last weekend was the beginning of the Christmas party season, and whilst we do advertise on all websites that we do hold functions, however I am sorry that the base of the band disturbed your relaxation. I understand that the team did try to allocate people from the party directly above the function, and of course try to lower the base as the evening progressed. I am sorry this detterred from your enjoyment of your stay.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Nice,friendly staff always makes a good start to a hotel stay....great location... clean & the food.....the food... the chef(s) were quality.
As a business traveller ..room service is the norm & usually is room service customers get a 2nd rate service. However, this hotel not only provides the room service when they say the will (20-30mins).. but the quality of food is right up there with some of the best... I stated this week (tues-fri) & I’m back again next week...
A real gem & if I’m down this way again for work or pleasure... I’ll be back.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear Therunningdog

Thank you for your lovely feedback about your recent stay - it is great to see that as a business traveller you enjoyed room service. The team are really pleased with your feedback, and hope that we can welcome you back again soon.