4 nights spent in the hotel as part of a special return visit to Exeter after 30 or so years - "always wanted to stay at the Rougemont."
room OK; well-furnished; reasonable size; good en-suite facilities; up-to-date.
Staff: helpful, young, enthusiastic , not enough of them in the right places.
Breakfast: adequate, nothing special and no better than any mass-produced chain. Not enough staff to keep tables cleared.
Dinner: for an hotel of the quality claimed not to have a full dinner service amazed us and the one meal we endured in the bar was the worst we have ever had - I'm still asking myself why I agreed to pay for it. We ate out in several excellent places after the disastrous first evening. The food in the hotel was low quality and took ages to arrive. The poor girl serving it was apologetic but there was little she could do. By the time we realised how bad it was, we were too tired and it was too late to look elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel is a recently refurbished classical Victorian hotel in Exeter city centre, close to the cathedral and directly opposite the railway station. The Mercure Exeter Rougemont has local attractions including the Castle and Rougemont Gardens within easy walking distance, with other attractions including stately homes, theme parks and the racecourse a short drive away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Rougemont Hotel, Exeter Hotel Exeter
- Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel Devon