All reviews beach club private terrace junior suite alex polizzi luxury hotel sitting room attention to detail afternoon tea car park beautiful hotel hotel inspector the main house john dory sea view scones relaxed atmosphere roaring log fire
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I stayed 3 overpriced nights at this hotel. We ate in stygian gloom from a set menu of uninspiring food with no options. (5 stars - I don't think so). Meals had no vegetables! My room was not in the hotel but outside and up a stiff cliff climb on uneven and difficult steps. My room was spacious but with no carpet - only industrial coir matting on the floors, my poor feet are sore. Dining room service was chaotic, ask for things twice and they still don't arrive. Staff in urgent need of training. A room service sandwich costs £14 and is nothing to write home about. The day we left people with early trains to catch had to miss breakfast because this 5-star hotel couldn't serve tea and toast before 07.30 am. Overpriced and seriously overrated.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask the room number, have they got carpets, if you want a tea tray book this in advance, ask how many steps to your room from the hotel, will you have to wear outdoor clothes from you room to the hotel. If you want a drink be aware that the bar is at street level - more outside steps.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank Kathleen E
fbertolini, Manager at Hotel Tresanton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

I am sorry you left with such bad feelings. This should never happen and I apologise.

The room you had in Upper Tresanton has some of our best views but can only be reached via steps through the garden. We are obsessive about describing the location of the rooms and the number of steps but as you booked via an agent, perhaps you had not quite visualized the location. The floor is covered in Sisal which is a natural fibre and certainly cannot be described as industrial matting.

You were offered to change rooms just after you arrived but you declined.

Dinner was served after each concert in our candlelit dining room. As you were part of a group of 45 people all returning simultaneously from a concert, we offered a set menu in agreement with your tour organizers. There was everyday an alternative to the starter and to the pudding as well as a vegetarian main course. Normally our menu changes everyday with 4 or 5 choices for starters, mains and dessert.

I am sorry you found the food uninspiring. The vegetables were served on the same plate and not separately as you may encounter in different establishments. The feedback about the food from the other guests in the group was very positive.

If you had told us that you wanted breakfast before the opening time at 7.30am, we would have arranged this. Nobody in the party missed their train.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Hi
My wife and I stayed at the Tresanton for a long week in early March this year. It sounds cheesy but it was an absolutely perfect week end. Tresanton is now my favorite hotel in the world for leisure (and I travel a lot). Everything was perfect. We stayed in room 1 - an amazing junior suite with view on the sea and a private balcony. The staff were perfect - courteous, nice but not overwhelming. We had a deal whereby the price of 2 dinners was included, which I recommend. The food was superb. Every evening we had cocktails at the bar or in the lounge and then to dinner. The dining room is amazing - with a wonderful view on the sea. The whole thing has a very special seaside touch which is a million miles away from most UK seaside towns. It feels like staying in a sailing club, very intimate, like a members' club.
That's pretty much it. In addition the town and walks around the area are stunning. We walked from the front door down to the sea the first day and across by the lighthouse the second. It was a perfect. We plan to do this every year. We also checked out the suites for families with kids for next time.

Room Tip: Room 1 is stunning. They also have suites for families with kids which we visited and look great for next time.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Martin T
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Wow what a truly amazing hotel!! We stayed in room 1 which has a fabulous balcony with unique views across the bay. The room was huge, complete with large bathroom and walk in wardrobe. The hotel staff can not do enough for you, very attentive but not over whelming. The whole hotel is so varied, and each part very charming. The food is very luxurious, and in the summer they do a terrace BBQ.
To top all of this my boyfriend proposed, making this a very very special trip. What a perfect venue for a romantic trip away. We will definitely go back, Hotel Tresanton and St Mawes will always hold a special place in our hearts.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank 2AJ
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Frankly I was a bit reluctant to review this hotel, as it will then become more well known and I might not be able to get a room when I want! But that would be so unfair as the hotel and staff are, without doubt, wonderful. Excellent food, great rooms, idyllic location, service that had truly found the balance between attentiveness and lack of intrusion.
I was there to give a lecture in their meetings room, which is very good, but it won't be long before I go back just for pleasure, as it is just fantastic!

Room Tip: Get a sea view!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank StigB
Reviewed 12 February 2012

What a fabulous place - stayed for two days and wish it had been much longer. This is a jewel of a hotel in Cornwall. Sea views from the gorgeous rooms, with fabulous bathroom (massive) and shower. The bed was really comfortable and we slept very well. The service was outstanding - nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, who were very welcoming. We dined in the restaurant and really enjoyed the beautiful food - the breakfasts were just as great. Can thoroughly recommend this hotel if you wish to spoil yourself for a couple of days. Easy access to lots of places by Ferry - Falmouth, Smugglers Cove, Frenchman's Creek, so there is no need to drive. Fabulous!

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple