See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 May 2017

this is a quaint bed and breakfast, room 8 a bit on the small size but everything was clean and for the price we paid could not fault it. Breakfast was lovely, usual fruit yoghurts cereal etc then a full English! All cooked perfectly. Very friendly would def stay again it's ideal for a quick cheap weekend away.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2016

A charming little place with rooms very much in keeping with the area and town. Really well positioned with regards to the shops bars and restaurants. The breakfast was great with a full Cornish or just a light bowl of cereal. Reasonably priced considering the time of year and position.
All the rooms were smart and clean but my one criticism was the pillows on the bed, they were terrible and this comes from an ex serviceman who has slept just about everywhere. They were tired old lumps of not very soft foam about 3 inches thick, guys you can do much better. But don't let this deter you it is a great little place.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Dusty M
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

This is ideally located just a few steps from the town and harbour. We paid £80 for a double room on the top floor, with views of the harbour and en suite with a shower. The room was equipped with the essentials you might expect, complimentary tea/coffee tray and shampoo and shower gel. If you're expectations are high, then this is not the place for you, but for £80 this bed and breakfast represents fantastic value for money. I'd have happily given it an excellent rating, but I settled on very good for just a couple of niggly reasons. I rang the number on the door when we arrived (we hadn't booked) but it didn't ring through to the actual bed and breakfast, and the lady who answered seemed quite short with me. The bathroom hadn't been cleaned very well (although it was acceptable) and the breakfast, was fried when it clearly said on the menu that everything was grilled, it was really good though, and the breakfast staff were very hospitable. All in all, a very good place to stay, I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2016

We had an extremely disappointing stay at the Grey Mullet while walking the South West Coast Path. The building is in an ideal location; a stone's throw from St Ives Harbour, but that's about where the positives end.

Upon arrival at the property at 3pm (the ETA we'd provided months in advance), we rang the buzzer for a few minutes to no avail. There is a sign in the window with a phone number, which we phoned to be told "I'll be right there". After fifteen minutes of waiting in the rain, a lady finally appeared from down the street who let us in with no apology, and not much of a welcome. The building dates back to the 18th century so is understandably small inside with a steep and narrow staircase. Carrying our suitcases up 3 floors was no problem for us, but older people would find this a struggle.

Our bedroom was small and dated, but with lots of character and comfortable and clean enough for us. We couldn't quite enjoy the obscured harbour view for all of the seagull poo on window. The lady who checked us in disappeared in seconds - never asking if we had questions (which we did) or offering us any insight into St Ives.

First impressions were not great, but passable, but they were about to get much worse. Having realised that the TV in our room didn't work I phoned the number listed in the 'visitors information' book to be met by a male voice (I believe this was Ken, the proprietor, who lives in another property with the lady who had checked us in). I explained that we had just checked in, to which he barked "what is your problem then?". The tone was aggressive and he seemed ready for an argument, which I certainly didn't want. I politely explained that the TV in our room wasn't working, to which he replied "she'll have to come all the way back then" - I assume meaning his wife. He then grumbled something about fixing it then ended the call.

We headed out for a nice dinner (the Lifeboat Inn on the Harbour - lovely food and great staff) and returned a couple of hours later to - low and behold - the same broken TV in the room. It was no great surprise, but epitomised a place that oozes apathy, and rests on its laurels due to its location. The Grey Mullet could be a gem of a B&B, but unfortunately was the worst place was stayed in Cornwall by a country mile, and I certainly couldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mrsdoggy
Reviewed 18 May 2016

Stayed at the Grey Mullet a couple of years ago. Its in an ideal place, nearly on the quayside, a very very short walk to the beach. Close to several nice restaurants. Its a quirky B&B so don't expect 5 star, or you will be unhappy. Sumptuous Breakfasts and nice and clean, BUT GREAT VALUE. Having holidayed for years with the kids in Cornwall, we travelled down on the overnight sleeper train from Paddington, a great experience, and travelled around Cornwall on foot or with our bus passes on the local buses....what a hoot !

Stayed: July 2015