All reviews the pub whitebait a late lunch piping hot stayed for one night car park carbis bay coastal path warm welcome carvery cornwall ale conservatory specials ives
Reviewed 4 October 2018

I had a really unpleasant experience at The Badger Inn. The lack of hospitality was evident right from the start of our stay.

I had paid a 50% deposit on two rooms when I booked them. My travelling companion and I expected to settle the rest of the bill when we checked out the next morning. Most readers of this review will know that this is standard practice in the hospitality industry all over the world.

However, the Badger Inn pestered me for payment in full before we had even seen the rooms let alone got into them. There was no apology for this poor service or the inconvenience it caused us.

I sat down for dinner just before 7.30pm. I left the table exactly one and a half hours later. In this time, I had been served one course and one drink. I gave up on trying to get a pudding or a bill and went up to bed for an early night. I note that other reviewers have commented on the poor service they received at the Badger Inn restaurant.

A member of staff then ordered my companion to go up to my room and obtain payment for my dinner. This put her in a very embarrassing situation. I got out of bed, got dressed and went downstairs to ask for the bill. I did not get it but calculated the cost myself and paid it in cash. I did not wait for my change but went straight back to bed.

When I checked out the next morning I asked to have my change since no one had offered it to me.

The manager got summoned. He immediately launched into a very aggressive rant making untrue allegations and nasty personal comments about me.

If half of the allegations he made were true, the Badger Inn staff should have called the manager to deal with the situation at the time. The manager had not been called. The claims he made were a complete fabrication.

The man admitted he had not witnessed what happened but said he was told about it. He was furious that I had dared to ask for my change and very exercised that there was apparently a slight tear in the £20 note I had used to pay for my dinner.

I was alarmed and intimidated by the man’s behaviour. I left without getting my change.

If someone had simply explained to me when I made the dinner reservation that it needed to be paid for that night then I would have done so and a misunderstanding would have been avoided.

I thought it was unacceptable that a guest was hauled out of bed to pay a bill before it was presented. It was completely inappropriate that another guest was despatched to speak to me rather than the staff doing so themselves. The people who work at the Badger Inn are simply damaging the reputation of the establishment by making up stories about a guest who has got a legitimate cause to be dissatisfied with the unprofessional way she was treated.

I have visited some great places in Cornwall. The Badger Inn was not one of them.

Stayed: October 2018
1  Thank Claire C
Bertie B, Owner at The Badger Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

The absolute nerve of some people never fails to astound me!! This woman at the very least middle aged if not older, behaved so disgracefully in our establishment that I was left with no choice but to bring it to her attention the following morning.
So heres what ACTUALLY happened.
These customers were afforded our usual warm and hospitable welcome to our lovely pub. I know this because I was the one stood behind the bar making sure they had everything they needed in their respective rooms, asking if the rooms were warm enough and if there was anything they should need during their stay all they had to do was ask and that nothing was too much trouble and to make themselves at home. They replied that the rooms were lovely. Warm and cosy and they had everything they could possibly need for their one night stay with us.
Is this really the complete lack of hospitality that she says was evident right from the start of their stay? No. Its an absolute lie!!!!!
The outstanding accommodation bill was settled as we inform all guests that any outstanding bills for rooms, food or drink need to be settled the night before departure. Really not unusual considering many places will expect full payment on booking and actually there were no complaints from these guests at the time of asking and the accommodation bill was settled smoothly and with no problem.
So far so good..................................
These customers then proceeded to start drinking from 3pm. I think you know where this is going.......................
By 7.30pm they were well on the way. They were served dinner, had a falling out between themselves at their table and then proceeded to take extended breaks out of the pub for cigarettes and phone calls.
Our waitresses, as is usual practice, were waiting for them both to be sat back at their table before taking a dessert order. This proved almost impossible but once a dessert had been ordered the customer waited less than 5 minutes before walking away from the table, taking herself upstairs and therefore refusing the dessert that turned up at an empty table literally 6 minutes after it had been ordered.
Even taking all of this account, we took the dessert off the bill and asked the ladies companion about paying for the bill for the food and drinks. She then went upstairs to speak to her friend and that was when the real fun started.
She stormed into the bar and proceeded to literally shout and scream at the staff saying it was disgusting that she should be asked to pay her bill!!!?????
Her behaviour at this point was so outrageous that my partner had to stop our pub quiz, apologise to a pub full of quizzers and take this woman into our conservatory to attempt to restore some calm!!
She carried on her drunken tirade of abuse and eventually thrust a ripped twenty pound note into our hands and again stormed upstairs. Brilliant really considering her half of the bill should have been £22.20 if splitting it down the middle so her friend paid the remainder of the bill and we thought that was the end of it.
Oh no it didn't end there!! After refusing to come down for breakfast this customer then demanded to speak to me and promptly demanded her change from the night before!!! Brilliant!!
Add to this the distinct smell of cigarette smoke in the strictly no smoking bedrooms used upstairs and you will begin to get a picture of the sort of people we are dealing with.
It was at this point that I decided to tell her how disgracefully rude and obnoxious she had been the night before and by the look on her face she obviously hadn't fully remembered the whole scenario - no surprise there!!
I pity anyone who encounters this woman in their business. Safe to say that she is barred from our establishment and I would recommend any other business owners to be very wary of having her anywhere your premises.

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

Both the lady behind the bar and the chap cooking were lovely and i had a massive portion of pasta! Food all day which we struggled to find anywhere else as it seemed to be 2 hours lunch then closed until dinner

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2018

We went for a meal with friends and sat in the conservatory (quieter than the bar)
as we had a lot of catching up to do.
The food was excellent we had four different meals and all were first rate.
Check out the specials the fresh fish is a must.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

After coast walk to St Ives called in for meal very busy but we're able to find us a table the choices were very good especially the fish.we had the shark and scampi lovely meal.Would visit again when in the area.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

We came her with our dogs for a lunch and had the good fortune to be served by Molly the waitress - fantastic smile and catered for us and the pups!! She changed our order for us as we varied just about every dish and nothing was too much trouble for her well done she’s a gem!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family