“Gastronomic delight!”

Price range: US$ 133 - US$ 133
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Nathan Outlaw offers a seafood tasting menu for diners at lunch and dinner as well as a set lunch menu. The menus highlight the finest sustainable seafood caught off the South West coast. The unique approach to seafood cookery provides the platform for a truly memorable dining experience.
Reviewed 13 October 2016 via mobile

From the moment you arrive you know it's going to be a very special evening! All the staff endeavour to make sure you know about each course as it's served. We enjoyed being seated with a view into the kitchen where we could see all the hustle and bustle of the creative team during the evening, a big thumbs up from us!!

Reviewed 12 October 2016

We really enjoyed the variety of cooking of the different fish types on the taster menu. So not only was this a lovely taste experience but the informal atmosphere and friendly service made it an excellent night. The waiter enthusiastically explained how each dish was prepared when we asked. The wine was however pricey but lovely.
All we had to afterwards was walk back up the hill to the car park!

Reviewed 11 October 2016

I was a little hesitant on our booking at first, as we have been rather disappointed by two Michelin star restaurants visited recently. I needn't have worried.
The food is extraordinarily good. Not too many flavours or too fussy but simply sublime. The work that goes into every dish just comes through on the pallet.
The staff are also exceptional making a relaxed and convivial atmosphere. The attention to detail possibly wouldn't be seen to many outside the industry but for me and my dining companions we totally appreciated it. We will definitely be returning and saving our dining out experiences to ensure that we can return sooner rather than later. The wine list is also of a quality rarely experienced and shouldn't be forgotten. Thank you Restaurant Nathan Outlaw it was a real treat.

Reviewed 10 October 2016 via mobile

Pricey but good for special occasions. Pity they don't do a normal fish dish and a bottle of wine. All they do evenings are taster menu.

Reviewed 10 October 2016

We were expecting great things having dined in some excellent restaurants over the years, coupled with the reputation that follows Nathan Outlaw. The taxi driver on the way, even hinted on a possible third star. Inside the restaurant I was greeted with a very understated, stripped back environment, which hinted the style of food I would be receiving. We were seated at the only unoccupied table that wasn't as private as I had hoped, and because it was positioned opposite the stairs it felt busy and far from intimate. We had booked on line a while prior stating that we would be celebrating our twenty fifth wedding anniversary so the position of the table was rather disappointing, as well as the fact that at no point through out the evening was there any mention of our celebration. Having had experience running a restaurant in the past, it is these small details that need to be noticed and remembered by the waiting staff to make the customer feel special and separate from everyone else.
When the food did arrive my hunches were confirmed, the food was simple and mostly lovely combinations except the pickled onion and crab which in my opinion did not balance well together, and I could only get the delicate flavour of the beautifully cooked crab by eating it apart from the onion.
The staff were pleasant but I feel that this is an area that can be improved. A more sleek appearance of clothing would have been more fitting for the calibre of the establishment and with that would come more naturally a disciplined approach. I found the wine waitress far too familiar with her loose talk and her arm/back touching of the clientele. I want attentiveness without intrusions, married with a keen eye for detail, and at all times a professional approach. I spilled a little sauce on the table and had several courses just placed on top rather than the care of it being discretely wiped away. It finally did get 'swept' away with the table brush just prior to the final course appearing, although by this time a mark remained because the liquid had congealed. On leaving, the waitress wanted to give us someone else's jackets. These may appear small things, however are an expectation of an establishment who charge two michelin star prices and put on 12.5% tips as an expectation. It was almost as if there was an air of complacency, and at times carelessness.
Was it value for money?
Would I return?
When it comes to a two michelin star, I expect far more from the over all experience.

1  Thank 1966Jane50