“Classic 70s grand old dining room with quality fresh traditional food”

The Promenade Restaurant
Ranked #138 of 196 Restaurants in Penzance
Reviewed 25 June 2018

If you're looking for another modern restaurant then you should keep looking, this is a mature setting for dinner or lunch amongst red velvet curtains and creaking old pillars. Don't get me wrong, it's clean and tidy, it's just very old but you've come here for the lovely view of the Penzance shore.

The clue to what you'll see in the menu is around the table. The clam shaped soup spoons, the pretend flower decoration and the banquet table chairs in thick red velvet. Classic 70s.

Evening meals are a set course and I would say very good value for money for the quality and quantity of food you get. You can treat yourself to some premium items, for example I got the fillet steak and it was one of the best I've eaten in a while and perfectly cooked for my taste. My wife had the locally sourced crab and lobster as a premium, it too was very good. There were 6 of us and we all enjoyed every course, however our cousins from Europe were a little confused by Melon as a starter. Compliments to the chef all round from my family, the shortcuts like a slice of cheap brown bread with the premium crab dish instead of some nice local Cornish soda bread and shop bought seafood sauce were noticed though, oh and the massive sprig of rosemary with just about everything, what was the point of it?

Here's the problem. Staff are professional but they lack the experience and skills needed to serve a table of six, even when the restaurant was fairly quiet. Our main server was so unhappy that she looked like she would quit at any moment, not a flicker of a customer service smile once. Other support staff were courteous but we had to ask for everything, and I mean everything, three times on occasions. This is a training problem for management, not the fault of young servers, well not entirely... one shouldn't have to be trained to smile if you're working in Customer Service.

Just a few note for that training (in order of our experience):

- Ask the customer if they'd like drinks first, not the food order
- Smile, if you work with the public, you need to make them feel happy
- Champagne doesn't go on a tablecloth
- The glasses shouldn't be plopped at the end of the table for us to collect
- Don't wait to be asked for things, anticipate the need for the correct glasses
- Let the customer have their celebratory toast and a glass of champagne or some wine before asking them again for a food order
- Properly clear everything from the table between courses
- Ask about the wine situation and the water situation throughout the meal, customers don't want to have to keep asking for things.
- Wow, you should definitely have tried to sell me more of the expensive Champagne
- Despite it being the end of a long day, if someone's still eating, don't ask the table to settle the bill.

I do hope this review is balanced enough? I want to make it clear that THIS IS A GOOD PLEASE TO EAT, It's good food at a reasonable price with a super view. Just don't expect premium service ... yet (hint to management).

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 31 May 2018

Delicious dinner and good breakfast in elegant restaurant. Window table for views of the wild Atlantic Ocean.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 22 May 2018

We ate at this restaurant by default because it has really good disabled access (one of our party was injured during the trip). This was standard restaurant food, the portions were not generous and the service although enthusiastic was unprofessional. However the view is great and the dining area spacious.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

This Restaurant is a must. Fine dining, but very very reasonably priced . The food delicious very good menu. The staff professional, friendly and efficient. Right on the seafront.I feel it’s a must when in Penzance.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 10 September 2017

My wife and I booked a table here for Sunday lunch, when we got home I looked on here at the reviews, and was a little sceptical and didn't know whether to ring up and cancel or not. However we did go along and have our lunch very pleased we did, my wife had roast lamb and I had roast beef, both meals were excellent with a good selection of fresh veg. The staff were welcoming and pleasant, the service was very good and quick.

Date of visit: September 2017