“Must do place in town”

Admiral Benbow
Ranked #31 of 193 Restaurants in Penzance
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 27
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Quirky nautically themed free house, filled with maritime memorabilia and artefacts. Serving selection of real ales and beers and full bar. Food available Mon- Sat 1200-1430 and 1800- 2130.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

well this is a Landmark property, most unique interior in the county, not to be missed. Good food and beers

1  Thank Frank L

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Amazing pub that has to be seen to be believed. Great nautical theming originally created some years ago by a shipwreck hunter / nautical salvager. Great beer, great food, great locals, great surroundings.

ChrisM13628, Owner at Admiral Benbow, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks !On behalf of the captain and the crew, we look forward to seeing you again soon !

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The pub has been eclectically decorated with items found from shipwrecks. A great excuse for a pint!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Every time my wife & I visit Penzance we like to call in on alternate Wednesday nights to enjoy an evening of music at Penzance Folk Club that has been set in such a wonderful venue with lovely people. Sadly this time after we travelled down from The North East we found that The Folk Club were instructed to find a new venue. It's such a shame that the club has had to move from a venue that fitted their activities down to a song! Penzance Folk Club are now to be found in The Bath Inn on alternate Wednesdays - The Bath is a good venue but does not quite have “the same aura” that The Benbow had!

The new owner says he has other plans for the upstairs room and good luck to him on that but.... the results remain to be seen but alas not by my wife & I won’t be there to experience it.

I'm not sure how Trip Advisor will view this post as we did not eat there but I feel it's important that anyone going for the music is aware it's now at another venue!

1  Thank RoverSE_216
ChrisM13628, Owner at Admiral Benbow, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello Rover, Just to clarify, the Folk Club were not asked to leave by us. They were asked to pay a nominal room hire fee which would cover the heating and cleaning of the function room they used. They were unwilling, even though they regularly charge for admission to concerts they put on in the Benbow - for which they paid nothing ! For community events we charge the same room hire as the nearby Salvation Army, an organisation not known for its pricey room fees !!

Reviewed 4 October 2018

Have been to this restaurant many times through the years - it has a restaurant area with interior design as an old galleon sailing ship and with the ' Captains Cabin' in particular.

After being away for about 5 years we decided going to the Admiral Benbow is a MUST especially as they used to have a good steak menu!! BUT what a disappointment - now the menu is all on one page and very limited - example - Fish and Chips £12, Sausage and Mash £12, then Steak and Chips £21. If you want anything extra (like peas) then you have to also order that.

Then, when we were mid-meal, a big dog just wandered in to the restaurant from the bar area - it went around all the tables clearly hoping for a tasty morsel from the diners' plates. It came to our table without our noticing and flopped itself down on my wife's feet under the table - that was the last straw and my wife complained to the waiter who then removed the dog.

He informed us it was the owner's dog and that the owner told him that the restaurant is 'Dog Friendly'. (Can someone from Penzance Health Inspection tell the owner what 'Dog Friendly' means please - I am pretty sure it doesn't mean allowing a big dog to wander round the restaurant and beg at tables??

So, sadly, we feel this old ship is sinking fast and we won't go back to it for fear of maybe sharks wandering around the restaurant instead of a dog!

1  Thank jslater0973
ChrisM13628, Owner at Admiral Benbow, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Hello JSLater0973, thank you for taking the time to write such a long review. I am very sorry Sir Cloudesley, our dog escaped into the great cabin and I hope your wife's toes didn't suffer too much bruising! We did take him out as soon as we found out where he was. I take your comments on board about the short menu, and to be fair I don't like long menus. We aim to make everything we serve from basic ingredients where possible, to a very high standard and a very good price, which I do think we achieve most of the time. Apart from the dog escaping from the bar into the restaurant, which I hope you can forgive, how was the meal? Were you upset that the steak menu was too short or did you actually try our 8oz 28-day dry aged sirloin steak from local butchers, Ian Lentern's? Constructive tips on how to improve the food are always welcome.
As for our dog friendly policy, since you ask, we are happy to accommodate well behaved dogs in our pub and occasionally their owners.
Let me assure you, JSlater0973, that this 'ship', or 'pub' as we like to call it, is not sinking. We have a great crew in place and after a record summer, we are moving towards an exciting future.
A future which, it seems will not include you or your wife. Ho hum, I'm sure we will manage without you ! Best regards, Chris