“Exceeded my expectations”

Ranked #35 of 87 Penzance B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Exceeded my expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

I cannot say anything negative about this hotel. The proprietors who run this bed and breakfast do an excellent job and and provide a warm welcome . They do not skimp . I generally stay in large North American chain hotels and this being a bed and breakfast facility I did not know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. Everything exceeded my expectations. it was extremely clean and it was obvious the proprietors pay attention to detail. The house is charming and there were fresh flowers in various parts. I chose this hotel because of the proximity to the ferry for the Isles of Scilly. It is about a 3 minute walk. The hotel is also relatively close to the train station and the bus terminal. ( about 8-10 min walk along the waterfront.. Since we did not have a car this was a real plus.
There are a couple of pubs close by and the food was very good.There is also a promenade which is great for an evening stroll ( However, the weather did not cooperate when I was there).
Should I return I shall certainly stay again at the Lombard. I found it good value for the quality of the accommodation. The breakfast was far more than what I needed./expected. Great variety ,good quality and as I mentioned the owners do not skimp.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank bobbi96
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

I stayed at this bed and breakfast last summer with my boyfriend for a four-day tour of Cornwall. The room was fantastic with great views of the bay. Due to a last-minute change, we were placed in a larger room than we had originally booked, which we didn't mind at all. The couple who runs the B&B are very helpful and generally friendly, though perhaps there was a bit of a culture gap between them and two American 20-somethings. The complimentary Internet is a boon, and though their WiFi was iffy during our stay, they let us borrow an ethernet cord (as we hadn't thought to pack one) to use the wired connection. The breakfast is quite good, and the B&B is located within an easy 5-10 minute walk along the bay-shore to the train and bus stations, which made a convenient and picturesque walk every morning and evening. It is also quite close to the commercial district of Penzance, maybe 5 minutes away at the most. They also let us store our luggage after checkout on the day of departure, which was convenient as our train didn't leave until the afternoon. Overall, it was a pleasant and nearly ideal place to stay. If I ever go back to Cornwall, which I hope I will, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annish33
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

We have just returned from two 2 night stays either side of a week in the glorious Isles of Scilly. We booked this Guest House because of location and were pleased. It is off the main road with a good sea view and has plenty of parking. Penzance is OK but not the most picturesque place in Cornwall. Handy for visiting St Michael's Mount round the coast at Marazion. Well worth the drive of about 10 minutes (or 30 depending on traffic on the coast road!) The heliport is a 5 minute drive away.

We ate at a nearby pub called The Mermaid Tavern and were so impressed we ate there all 4 nights. Everything was well cooked and a good choice. This pub is 5 minutes walk from the Lombard House. Turn left and follow the walk towards the harbour. It is opposite the place where the Scillonian leaves and just before the swing bridge. Worth booking unless you don't mind a wait.

The Lombard House has rooms on 3 levels.We were on the top floor in the attic rooms so had a good sea view. The steps up were not so nice especially after the fantastic breakfast! This place is most definitely NOT suitable for anybody with a mobility problem. The breakfast room is on the lower ground floor so if you don't manage steps well avoid.

The attic rooms are mirror images of each other with a double and single bed. The beds were extremely comfortable with nice sheets and light duvets. All the pillows are feather and down. Fortunately I had taken my foam pillow so didn't have a problem with the feathers. Maybe they have foam pillows available. I didn't notice it mentioned anywhere though. The rooms had most of what you could need although there were a couple of housekeeping errors - no dresssing gowns in the wardrobes on the second visit and a non functioning bedside light (this was repaired.) We mentioned this as we didn't want the owners thinking we had taken them!
The room had a well positioned flat screen TV. Good for watching TV in bed.

The one MAJOR problem experienced in both of these top floor rooms was the shower. See photo. The shower was a hand held unit fed from the bath tap. We had been warned that the hot water was very hot - dangerously so in our opinion, especially if you had children using the bathroom unsupervised. In both rooms we spent at least 10 minutes attempting to get the shower head to work. It would give cold water or boiling hot and refused to mix the two. In the end we gave up and ran a bath. Not so good if you have an early get away in the morning. Basically these room are effectively bath only.

The real highlight of a stay at Lombard House is the standard of breakfast. Superb! A large range of fresh fruit. yoghurts, mini cheese portions, cereals, toast with a variety of breads and croissants. The cooked menu is extensive and includes Full English, smoked haddock and poached egg, kippers, ham and eggs. Porridge is avaliable and also goats milk and soya milk. This is really an excellent start to the day. 10/10

We would recommend staying at Lombard House but only if we could have a room with a proper shower.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank strumble
south coast UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

Stayed with other family members June 2009: two rooms which were comfy, very clean and with nice touches/attention to detail that made the stay that bit more enjoyable.
Cracking, plentiful and varied breakfasts & very good service.
A nice location by the bay and only a modest walk into town though plenty of places to eat and drink nearby.
Took advantage of the 'long term' car parking facility as we went out of area on the Scillonian - the terminal is only a few minutes walk away.

Only negatives - the early risers in the room above were audible particularly the plumbing and its probably the going rate for location/accommodation but I still find these places a bit on the pricey side. Still it bettered our expectations and gets a thumbs up.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2009

My husband and I spent two nights here to escape the big City, and it was exactly what we were looking for. The location was excellent, just moments to the sea, as well as the historic Chapel St., and the rooms were excellent. We stayed in a top floor room with a sea view and it was perfect! Spotlessly clean as well. The breakfasts were excellent, and the host's very friendly. Checkout was at 10:00am but our train didn't leave til the evening, so we were pleased that they let us leave our luggage with them. The only small fault was a really horrible smell which came from the entrance (smelt a bit like a loo) but it didn't affect us at the top floor so it was fine.

Excellent trip!