“near the harbour”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2017

A rather small pub but we ate early and it was not crowded. It is situated about a block back from the harbour. We had fish and chips which were excellent.

1  Thank RetiredHawkeye

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

I phoned today and said I wished to talk about the poor experience I had, and recent reviews that indicate things are not improving. I was told to phone 3pm tomorrow. Nope - she would not arrange call back.

As reported at the time my Birthday meal in March 2017 was massively disappointing. No 'Newlyn Special Catch Landed today'. Understaffed with little attention paid to guests. Food poorly cooked, tasted old and frozen rather than fresh and tasty. No interest when concern expressed after meal - told "new owners, don"t you know"

Well I do know I loved the previous Navy Inn and felt ripped off by this business model. Please reply but only when you hire a Fish Chef - and someone gets up to go out for fresh local produce.

1  Thank Steve J
Reviewed 29 June 2017

Have visited the Navy Inn over several summers and the visits of the past two years have been excellent in every way. However, this time, although the food was good, there were no main fish 'Specials' which meant the menu rather limited. Of more concern was that despite being busy, there was only one waitress on duty, seemingly doing front of house and drinks fetching as well as food. Service was consequently very slow and reminders had to be given for things forgotten. One couple walked out. The radio music in the back was far too loud and impinged on our enjoyment as we were sitting beside the door. I am prepared to believe that this was an unfortunate one-off occurrence and that these issues will be addressed. Previous experience would mean I would give the Navy Inn another chance.

Reviewed 26 June 2017

Visited this pub each year for ten consecutive holidays. Were there last week for dinner.
Usually busy, even on a Monday evening. Very quiet this time.
No Real Ale or bottled beer for my husband who was forced to order a half of horrible lager.
The food was OK but not to the standard of previous visits. Waitress brought one wrong starter by mistake so one of us had to wait for the right one.
I agree, rather over priced for the quality and now lacking in atmosphere.
Probably won't return unless there is a marked improvement.

Crazyj

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

We visited the navy inn last night after reading positive reviews. Well....we either read about the wrong place or something has really changed....for the worst. We ordered a starter of smoked chicken...it was a small chicken salad with no taste. We had the lamb rump for main which was very mediocre. To add to this the prices are way too high for the quality of food. We have eaten in alot of nice places all over the country and this was the worst and most expensive. We had a child's meal too which they didn't have what was offered on menu but still charged us full price. A bottle of wine and prosecco....the bill came to £86!!!! ...we feel well and truly ripped off. We will not be returning.