“Disapointing”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Visited this pub each year for ten consecutive holidays. Were there last week for dinner.
Usually busy, even on a Monday evening. Very quiet this time.
No Real Ale or bottled beer for my husband who was forced to order a half of horrible lager.
The food was OK but not to the standard of previous visits. Waitress brought one wrong starter by mistake so one of us had to wait for the right one.
I agree, rather over priced for the quality and now lacking in atmosphere.
Probably won't return unless there is a marked improvement.

Crazyj

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

We visited the navy inn last night after reading positive reviews. Well....we either read about the wrong place or something has really changed....for the worst. We ordered a starter of smoked chicken...it was a small chicken salad with no taste. We had the lamb rump for main which was very mediocre. To add to this the prices are way too high for the quality of food. We have eaten in alot of nice places all over the country and this was the worst and most expensive. We had a child's meal too which they didn't have what was offered on menu but still charged us full price. A bottle of wine and prosecco....the bill came to £86!!!! ...we feel well and truly ripped off. We will not be returning.

Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

The Navy Inn is a pub for having a beer in as well as having a meal. The decor scream cod 'n' chips or chicken in a basket and this is backed up by knives and forks ready wrapped in paper knapkins. I checked out the website and reviews and thought I would give it a go, especially as it was raining and I wasn't too far away. There is a small menu of about five or six dishes for each course which you do not see very often. Choices covered fish, vegetarian and meat. There are loads of pubs in Penzance turning out "pub grub" for the tourists that flock to Cornwall so it's a surprise to see a menu out of place in the Navy Inn. It was a double surprise when the food was served as it is absolutely excellent without any doubts what so ever. For the record I had duck that was smoked by the Chef himself followed by monkfish. This food should be served in a top notch restaurant on linen covered tables with fine china, silver cutlery and crystal glasses. If you like food, go to the Navy Inn and enjoy. If you like to have a drink at a bar the same applies. The staff are most welcoming and I look forward to going back on my next visit.

Reviewed 5 June 2017

Leasant place - we dropped in the previous night and decided to return for dinner - however we foudnd the food a bit sparse for qite high prices - - fish pie was served without a vegetable and there was not even a generous amount of fish in it!
This combined with loud music - never my favourite - knocked this pub restaurant off the list -

Reviewed 5 June 2017

Found the Navy Inn by accident - what a find.I have never had a roast dinner as good as this If you want just meat and two veg ,then don't bother.This is a class above ,wonderful flavours ,pork to die for ,veg is superb.For food lovers this is a must ,thanks to all the staff,they were great.I have a few days of my holiday left,hope to be back to sample your fish.Thank you.