“A wee gem”

The Honey Pot
Ranked #2 of 5 Dessert in Penzance
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 30
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Just off town centre in Penzance, 40-cover café/restaurant serving wide range of high-quality coffees, cakes, salads, soups and 'World Food'. Using local and seasonal ingredients where possible, the specials board offers vegetarian and vegan options, as well as a wide range of gluten-free dishes. Warm and homely with an eclectic menu and décor, furnished with antique tables and chairs and cosy cushions.
Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

Loved finding this in Penzance.. asked a local and they directed us off the beaten track to The Honey Pot!! Hubby got Cream tea but I opted for a homemade soup and garlic bread which was delicious but people next to us got a lamb dish that looked AMAZING! Talk about food envy

RachelG3767, Owner at The Honey Pot, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Thanks very much - so glad you enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed 12 September 2018

What a find. Discovered it by accident and enjoyed superb food and great service. I would certainly return if in Penzance.

RachelG3767, Owner at The Honey Pot, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Thanks for your kind review, so glad you stumbled upon us and enjoyed your visit. Look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Don't know if there has been a couple of new owners but a marked difference has been noted in the quality and quantity of the lunch. A previous favourite, the meat lasagne used to be an ample portion with two large slices or garlic bread & salad leaves, last week's fare was a thin slice of pasta with very little savoury mince, the crust was tough with a peculiar looking white-ish sauce. The garlic bread now consisted on one slice cut In half. My companion had the broad bean casserole, again a skimpy portion served in a bowl with bread and leaves. It got an indifferent reception. For £25+ which included a glass of juice the value is not good.

Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Although I bought the cafe last year, I have been cooking and serving the food at The Honey Pot for the past 4 years and so all the recipes and indeed cook are exactly the same, including the beef lasagne which is made using the exact same quantity of Cornish beef as it always has been. The only reason things can sometimes vary with our food is that absolutely everything is made in house and so there is bound to be slight variation from lasagne to lasagne as is the joy of the unpredictability of homemade food. I can only apologise that you felt this lasagne was not our best - I have passed the message on to the kitchen team and we will endeavour to make sure our signature lasagne stays as delicious as ever going forwards. As for the stew - I'm presuming you mean the chorizo and butterbean stew - I really wouldn't have said that the portion for this meal is skimpy, but I'm so sorry you felt it wasn't big enough for you - you obviously love your food which is just what we like to see at The Honey Pot - so do we!

After working in the cafe for the past few years, I was only too aware that there was an awful lot of waste generated daily, with a huge amount of food left on plates being thrown away, and a lot of feedback from customers made it clear that for most, the portion sizes were too big, with a lot of people put off lunches as they knew they would be faced with too much and did not feel comfortable leaving food. I am a keen environmentalist and really couldn't stand to see so much waste being generated daily - and so I hope you can understand that although there are obviously going to be a few customers, like yourself, that have a great hearty appetite, as a business owner and someone who hates waste, I had to make decisions to go with the majority and slightly adjust the portion sizes on some of our dishes to reduce waste and not intimidate customers with huge portions at lunch time. Piles of left over salad leaves, countless slices of garlic bread and huge chunks of uneaten lasagne and pies were a key feature in our waste bins at the end of each day, so I hope you can understand that my decision to slightly reduce the size of these was based on a general consensus.

I have made it my top priority to listen to customer feedback and having worked here for years, I completely grasp the fact that one of The Honey Pot's main draws is our generosity and home-cooked hearty meals and so I have tried to judge things very carefully to ensure the portions remain generous, but without being too much to manage for most. In the past, so many customers were so full after their enormous lunch that they were disappointed not to be able to fit in a dessert. It is lovely to see that now customers are leaving feeling satisfied having had just enough room after lunch to have a slice of homemade cake for pudding.

The feedback I have had from the vast majority of old time regular customers, is that I've done a great job in keeping the standards of the food up, and most people have welcomed and encouraged any new ideas I have had and understood my reasons for any small changes I have made. So again, I can only apologise once again that the particular lasagne you sampled on your last visit was not up to scratch and as promised, I will endeavour to make sure the highest attention is paid by all staff to keep food standards as high as ever.

I hope you will find it in your heart to give us another chance, and this time please do not hesitate to raise any thoughts with one of our friendly members of staff at the time of your visit- we always aim to keep everyone happy, so if you just give us a chance to make anything that was not quite good enough right, then we will do our utmost to make sure we correct any mistakes there and then. Thanks for your feedback, and I look forward to hopefully seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

I LOVE this cafe and come here every time I'm in Penzance. Beautiful food, gorgeous atmosphere, super friendly staff and so great to find place where I don't feel awkward asking for dairy free options! Kids love it here too and it always feels really welcoming. Thanks so much, keep it up!

Thanks for your lovely review! Glad we could help cater to all your needs and look forward to seeing you next time you're in town!

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

We came in as a party of 5 - 2 adults and 3 children (aged 4-10) - to have some hot drinks after getting very chilly in the Jubilee Pool.

Kids were happy with the options. The two dairy-frees in our party were very happy with the choices available and the spiced hot chocolate was DELICIOUS.

Gorgeous and comfy venue and friendly staff.

Coming back tomorrow for some delicious cake!

Thank you very much for your kind words and glad we could warm your spirits after a chilly swim!