All reviewslovely bay windowsunday carverytwo single bedscornish piratessea frontlovely roomwarm welcomeroastcornwallsteve
Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

We left booking a room until 3 weeks before we needed to stay in Penzance for the night.
My aunt and I need a twin room. We searched and couldn't find a twin room anywhere in Penzance. They were all sold out.
We found a family room here and booked it. We were a bit worried about some of the reviews we read, but that was all that was left.
We arrived on Friday evening it was blowing a hooly!
It looked a bit worse for wear from the outside.
We were checked in by the owner who told us he'd upgraded us to a sea view room. Which was lovely.
A spacious suite. A double bed with a bay window looking out to sea, and a room at the back with two single beds, leading to a shower room. It looked like the room had just been decorated, new furniture. The beds were comfy, linen was white and lovely, good towels also.
Lots of stairs and corridors to negotiate but worth it for the room which was nice a quiet.
We arrived late, 8pm ish, we had rung earlier in the day and booked a table for a evening meal. Loads of meals to choose from and we were both very happy with our meals. The buffet breakfast the next morning was also good a selection of fruit, cereal, juice etc. We didn't have a cooked breakfast although could of if we wanted to.
Several people were staying overnight including musicians that had been performing at the Minnack theatre, and some of the crew from the train that we were going on on Saturday morning.
We had the same lady serve us both our evening meal and breakfast the next morning. She booked us a taxi for early Saturday morning.
This place is not 5 star but could of been a lot worse!
We would both return.
My only complaint was the cord to turn the light on in the bathroom could have done with changing. It was a bit dirty.
But all in all we were pleasantly surprised.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2017 via mobile

Lovely room with sea views comfy bed and good quality linen and quilt good breakfast good selection of evening meals a very enjoyable 8 night stay the staff very very friendly hope to visit again
later in the year

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed the roast I had at the lugger, as did my friends. There is 5 different choices of meat which is different compared to most who do a choice of 2/3. There is also a much bigger selection of vegetables and extras such as stuffing, leeks etc. The price is good and the food is served all day long until the evening. Friendly staff and a view of the sea...what more could you want. Go try it...you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2017

I only had one night, a Sunday, in this hotel.
The situation on the sea front is very good. Parking is limited for the number of rooms and the lack of marked bays was a worry of being trapped in.
My room was very pleasant, freshly decorated and furnished though the carpet was badly stained and in need of a clean. Good full hospitality tray. Good size TV. The ensuite was a good size though the foot high step to get into the shower could be a problem for some. When I came to use the shower I could not get any hot water. When I went to enquire I was told that the kitchen porters had used it all and that I would have to wait for it to recover, which it did.
Found that the restaurant was restricted to a carvery on a Sunday evening and on inspection it looked very dry by that time.
The hotel was used by a number of young men who were I was told daffodils pickers and there early morning departure was not as quiet as it might have been.
Breakfast was fine with a choice of a full cooked or skippers.
Throughout our stay there was a large pile of dirty bed linen on the landing.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility problems discuss this with the hotel as there are some narrow, steep staircases.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2017

Arrived early, warm welcome and was able to get straight into our room, which was lovely and bright, had 2 large bay windows with chairs in eachoverlooking the sea. Great for sitting and people watching. The room was very clean, cleaned daily with fresh clean white towels each day. Bed was very comfortable. Large shower, but not very powerful shower, strange mirror in bathroom with blue lights at each side, this made the lighting quite dim in the bathroom. Great free Wifi. Good breakfast, served on very hot plates which makes a lovely change from lukewarm or even cold plates at other establishments. Ate in the restaurant each night, had the carvery which had a choice of 6 meats, plenty of vegetables to choose from. All the staff were very pleasant and the service was good.

Room Tip: Room 9, fantastic sea views on first floor
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple