1,010 results
All reviews shearings holiday coach driver shearings hotels sea view per person per day self drive cider farm tolcarne beach refurbished room entertainment room chef's specials third floor evening entertainment buffet breakfast enjoyable holiday hotel staff meal times
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We've just got back from a Shearing's weekend break in Newquay and stayed at the Beresford Hotel for 3 nights.
We arrived late on the first day and when the coach pulled up a member of staff from the hotel got on to tell us that the keys to the room would be in the door and that there was a button on the back of the door to lock it. While we were receiving this message, a second coach pulled up outside, which meant that around 100 people were then queuing to get into the hotel and had to stand outside and shuffle in a couple at a time to get to the reception to find out which room they were in. It would have been much simpler to hand out the room numbers while on the coach, as you just received a piece of paper with the number on that had to be filled in and returned to reception. After ten minutes stood in the cold, we finally got our room number and headed up to room 314. It was quite a small room with a view of the roof and nothing more, and had a shower with no bath. As we were heading back downstairs to dinner, we asked if there were any rooms available that we could be moved to that had a bath and were asked to go back in 30 minutes.
On going back, we were offered room 103, which was a much bigger twin room with a bath and view of the sea. This was much better for us and a lot more spacious with a bigger TV. We found out later that this room was directly above the entertainment room and could hear every word through the floor, but that seemed to finish at 11pm or earlier.

When we got to the restaurant area on the first night, an older man greeted us and asked us what time we wanted to have dinner the next day (6.30 or 7.15). He then showed us to a table and there was a menu available with 4 options to choose from. I didn't like the look of any of them on the first night, so the waitress offered to get me some chips instead and I really appreciated the offer.
What we were not told at any stage of the meal, was that this would be the table that we should use every day for the rest of the stay. The next day when we had dinner, we sat somewhere else with no issues, however on the third night were asked to move as we were at someone else's table. Hadn't been an issue the night before!
Some general issues I had with the restaurant were:
Due to the times between the meal servings, you were expected to be in and out. The starters were tiny and on the night I had a Caprese salad to start, it was half a lettuce leaf and two squares of mozzarella cheese. On the other nights, it was half a centimetre of soup and a rock hard bread roll. Main meals weren't much bigger, and it all seemed to be designed to get you to eat it as fast as possible to get you out quickly. I can't say that of the third night when we were asked to move tables, as I believe that night we were forgotten about. It took from 6.30 to 7.40 to eat that night with over 20 minutes between courses and part of the meal was forgotten by the waitress.
Nobody told us either that you should buy a drink at the bar and bring this to the meal with you. We wrongly assumed that someone would ask us what drinks we wanted when we were seated, but then had to leave mid way through the meal to go to the bar when this didn't happen.
When we checked in we were given a breakfast time of 8am - 8.30am, which was way too early for us (seems to be forgotten that we were on holiday), so we didn't have breakfast until the last day. We were glad that we'd stayed in bed, as it was just cereal, toast and the usual English breakfast options. No pastries or other alternatives to a fry up.
The Shearing's trips included with the holiday started at 9.30am for Falmouth and 9.15am for Padstow, but it was clear from the number of people still in the hotel that a lot of people didn't go. It would have been better to have an extended breakfast time and ask people who were not going on a trip to go for breakfast from 9am- 9.30am to avoid the rush for people on trips and also give people a bit of a lie in on holiday.
There was no option for this on the last day, as an alarm went off at 6am to get everyone up (either that or the alarm in the room next door was seriously loud). There was a lot of noise in the corridors already and when I opened the door, I saw the staff carrying suitcases and realised we must have missed something. I got dressed and went down to reception and it was only then that I was made aware of an A4 poster on the wall asking customers to put cases outside their room doors by 6.45am. This was at 6.40 and my other half was still in bed. We had proactively asked the driver on the Friday what time we'd be leaving on Monday and he'd told us 8am, but there was no mention of the cases or to check the 'poster' in reception for any other times.
Each day, a member of the housekeeping team came in to clean the room once we'd gone out. I was expecting them to just change the towels and generally tidy up, but all of my belongings were put inside drawers and moved from where I'd left them. Hairdryer, straighteners, electric razor, make up, drinks were all moved from the TV desk and put into the drawers. If I'd wanted to put them in drawers, I would have put them in there myself and I really didn't appreciate all of my things being handled and moved around when it was completely unnecessary. Especially as a stain on the bathroom wall where rust had got wet prior to us even arriving was still there after three days. When I got my things out each night, the next day they were put back in the drawers, as if I'd caused the cleaner an inconvenience. I usually treat a hotel as a home-from-home when away, but I just felt like I had to clean up before the cleaner came.
The message that we'd received on the coach when we first arrived about a button on the door to lock the door without the key should have had a card/poster in the room to explain in more detail. We were looking around for a button to press and initially struggled to lock the room door. There were other details in the folder in the room too that should have had visual displays, such as how to turn the heated towel rail on. The instructions in the folder did not match the switch options on the wall.
Overall, I think we were treated throughout this holiday as though we should already know everything. The staff seemed to assume that everyone had been there before, including the Shearing's driver. If we'd have been told to sit in the same table on the first night, that there was a poster on the wall with timings for the last day, that you went to the bar to get drinks etc., we'd have had a much smoother experience.
I did enjoy the stay in Newquay and the hotel was in a great location, not far from the main strip. There are lots of places to eat nearby and things to do that are easy to walk to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath, ours was much bigger
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AJ J
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to comment so comprehensively on trip advisor.

I have understood some of your concerns and will raise them with the appropriate departments.

Generally you will see from previous comments that the food is well received and that we work hard to ensure that every guest gets a good experience.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed here yet again over the Easter weekend. The reason we stay here is the staff, you can not fault them. The chef cooks food to perfection. Jackie & Caroline at reception take care of all your needs and always chatty and smiley, and not forgetting Josh our waiter, very professional and polite good to see you again.The entertainment was great, bingo was fantastic! Loved the comedian haven’t cried laughing so much in years! Thankyou to all the staff .We will be back.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi Jen and Chris

Thank for a great review, and for mentioning Josh, who, as you say, is so professional and polite.

It will be lovely to see you again.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

stayed at the Beresford Hotel 26th to 30th March on a coaching holiday. Lovely decorated hotel with lovely friendly staff. The food was very nice and the waiting staff were very friendly. Our room number 37 was a nice room with a comfy bed but the view from our window wasnt so great due to a building being really close and early in the the morning a genorator would go off. Although the genorator never use to wake us up because we would be up early for breakfast.

Would i stay there again yes i would

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased that you had a good time and that you would return to see us.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Arrived for a short Mon- Fri break. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome. Out room overlooking the bay, was warm and comfortable. The dining experience was probably the best we have had, with excellent staff who were extremely attentive. During our break I became very unwell, needing a paramedic. This did not present a problem to the staff, they dealt with it in a professional manner and paramedic arrived within minutes. We will definitely be returning to The Beresford. Thank you for making our break so special.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi

Thanks for your great review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope that you are back to health again now and that you come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

The wife and myself along with our eldest son and youngest daughter, and her two sons and daughter travelled with Shearings Coaches on a 5-day holiday to the Beresford Hotel on Narrowcliff Road in Newquay.

We were in three rooms on the first floor, which were quite adequate for our needs. The few problems we had with our room was the cold water tap being difficult to turn off completely, a toilet seat that was loose, and a radiator we couldn't turn off, but these slight faults in no way spoilt our stay at the hotel.

I always enjoyed the buffet breakfasts having a full English on the four mornings in the hotel. Evening meals were decent enough with four courses to choose from, including a vegetarian alternative.

Entertainment was on for each of our four nights and very enjoyable they were. I personally enjoyed Phil Lately, the stamp man, with his jokes. There was bingo, too, on each of the four nights, plus a few quizzes were laid on with our table winning one of them. It was a quiz about sweets and chocolates, which was a good subject for us. It's also good being able to get four free drinks per night, even though I had to pay a supplement of £1 for my Guinness and 50p for J2O's.

The staff at the Beresford were excellent both serving in the dining rooms and behind the bar. The hotel was kept extremely tidy by the cleaning staff and the staff in the kitchen had our meals ready for taking out to the tables almost as soon as we sat down.

The trips out were something to look forward to with visits to Truro and Port Isaac, of Doc Martin fame. It's quite steep getting down and back up from the Port Isaac harbour area, so if you have troubles with your legs or have breathing problems it would be advisable to either use a taxi service, or stay on or by the coach, or give the trip a miss. There was also a trip to Flambards and, although the wife and I had been there on a couple of occasions before, we still enjoyed the third visit. On the return from Flambards, we pulled into Healey's Cyder Farm, where we had a cream tea, a sampling of the cider on sale in the shop (I only had four to taste, but you can have as many as you like), and a look at a small animal farm to the rear of the buildings, which the grandkids were keen to visit.

There are people who put in poor reports about the Beresford, but they have to realise that they are not staying at a 5-Star hotel, so should take that into consideration. I am happy to recommend the Beresford Hotel and would stay there again, which would be the fourth time if I did.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Hi

I am delighted that you enjoyed your 4th stay at the Beresford with your family.

I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the entertainment and especially Phil Lately. Phil has been entertaining at the Beresford for many years, and I still have a giggle at his terrible jokes!

Thankyou for taking the time to comment and for recommending us.