“Amazing Location, Good Hotel”

Great Western Hotel
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Amazing Location, Good Hotel”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

The Great Western's location has to be the best point about the hotel. It is at the end of Newquay town with lovely shops near by with everything you could need plus nice restaurants. The steam bar is part of the great western hotel with a lovely big lounge and beautiful sea views. Outside there is quite a big play train for children and smoking area under cover with tables and a heater. We only ever ate breakfast at the Great western but it was delicious. Although it may be more expensive than other places it is worth it, the quality of the food is great. The rooms are standard but good. They are quite spacious, comfy beds just a little dated. All the facilities you need and clean. Overall an amazing place we have been there twice with family. A down point is that to park in the car park specifically for the hotel you are charged £5 a night and has to be booked in advanced. Would be even better if there was a pool.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sylviabutcher
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Polish first
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Ideal family hotel with great friendly staff. Good views and close to the beach. All in all a good clean hotel. Very outdated but price compensates for this.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are obviously more but if your on a budget surely being on the beautiful bar terrace...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed in a sea view room and it had great views from 3 windows onto the beach below.

The staff and housekeeping were very good and friendly. As were the bar and restraunt staff, could choice and value of food.

Room Tip: Sea View Room amazing views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We booked very very last minute and arrived approx 8pm, we couldn't have wished for a more welcoming helpful check in. The Woman on reception was brilliant, she did suggest that we might like to pay a slightly higher rate which would give us a bigger and newly refurbed room and what a room. Spacious doesn't seem a big enough word to describe the size of room, beautifully and very tastefully decorated and the view of the sea and the sunset made the small amount we paid extra seem nothing. We'd had a long day and decided that we'd eat in the restaurant. The menu was varied offering good value family fair and some quite different dishes. They proclaimed to be cooked fresh to order and locally sourced...we should never have had any doubts. The meal was sensational and every bit as freshly cooked and delicious as stated on the menu. My husband had the 'catch of the day', which was Megrim, we'd never heard of it before but without hesitation I recommend this to anyone and I defy them not to find it delicious, well cooked and beautifully served. We also did what runner1_12 did, we kept our curtains and window open, we watched the sunset, the tide come in, people and dogs on the beach and the owl hooting telling everybody to get to bed. I highly recommend the hotel, the staff and the food. Through my husbands work we have stayed in many different starred hotels throughout Europe (Noga Hilton in Cannes) USA ( Paris in Las Vegas) and the UK, the Great Western, as an overall package can certainly hold its head high. Highly recommend and we'll certainly be going back......soon. Ps. HUGE comfortable beds and sparklingly clean including the delightful bathroom complete with fluffy snow white towels

Room Tip: Go for a refurbed one with a sea view... 215
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed here for one night after an event in another Newquay hotel which was fully booked. The welcome, at gone 6pm, was fantastic and the staff were very helpful with regards to parking - despite the fact I hadn't pre booked (which I would now recommend!). However they have another parking area just a few seconds away which is just as convenient as parking outside the hotel itself - just without the barrier. My room - a 'premium' one on the first floor - was outstanding. Very well furnished, light and airy with sea colours, and of course an amazing sea view! The room was spotless, including the bathroom. Well equipped with kettle, lots of tea & coffee, milk, biscuits etc; shampoo, shower gel, hand wash, soap etc and a hair dryer - very rarely included nowadays, as was the extra pillows, duvet and blanket - which you normally have to ask for. I managed to get a weak wifi signal in my room (enough to check & send email), and something that's always important to me - they have plugs beside the bed. Perfect for my phone (which is also my alarm clock) overnight. On my arrival back, at gone 12am, it was nice to see smiling staff still on reception greeting me back. After a night in a very hot ball room of another hotel, going to sleep with all the windows open, the curtains billowing and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach was heaven. I didn't eat at the hotel - I booked room only - so I can't comment on the food or bar, but as a hotel for a simple nights stay - something I do often - it is second to none. I couldn't find anything to complain about (maybe the decor of the corridors are a bit dated), but I cannot recommend it highly enough. I will certainly be back if I need to stay in Newquay.

• Stayed March 2012