Odds the restaurant
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 10
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Lovely setting for a private special family meal and celebration. Outstanding quality and value for money, with a very good wine list - thank you Graham! We will be back!!

Reviewed 2 October 2011

This was our first visit to Odds and I went with family and friends, five of us in all. The restaurant is in a lovely rural location with great views across the surrounding countryside (go early and request a window seat to make the most of it). Our table was booked for 7.30pm and we were informed on arrival that there was also a large party booked in around the same time and that if we placed our orders reasonably quickly we would be served before them. There was no pressure and it was left up to us whether we ordered first or waited longer. It was refreshing to have the honesty rather than a long wait later followed by an explanation. The menu selection is not massive so we ordered quickly and service was prompt throughout as promised. My mussels with chorizo starter was excellent and well flavoured without the chorizo being allowed to overpower the rest of the dish and I had thankfully saved my bread to mop up the delicious juices! The other starters of wild mushrooms on toasted brioche and pidgeon on beetroot risotto were equally well received. For mains two of us had pork belly, one chicken in a crispy parcel and two beef. All were excellent quality and well flavoured. One tip - don't order the pork belly if you don't have strong teeth! The crackling was as crispy as I have ever had, delicious but not easy to eat. The portions were of a good size and in spite of this we were all tempted and ordered desserts. My sticky toffee pudding was huge but heavenly in both texture and taste and served with amazing, homemade, whisky and orange icecream, wow! My only regret was being unable to clean my plate! My fellow diners also had very good desserts and we all ended the night barely able to move. The restaurant has a clean, modern feel and the architecture of the building has made the most of the location. In spite of the busy night and large party the service was relaxed and friendly throughout and the owner took time to chat with us about the location, sourcing ingredients locally and the different dishes we had eaten. If you are in Cornwall give Odds a try!

1  Thank Phil H
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Visited after reading other trip advisor reviews, I agree a very odd entrance, however once downstairs stunning views . Food was delicious and great value. A real joy, we will defiately use again .

2  Thank justlimin2
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We have tried Rick Steins - Padstow and Jamie Olivers at Watergate Bay but Odds is definitely our Favourite. Steins was too cramped and the food was just OK. Jamie Olivers was good but pricey. Odds excellent location and wonderful food just hits the mark time and again.

2  Thank Dave_Cornwall7
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We might have been put off by the approach to "ODDS" if we hadn't been taken by relatives who live locally and had been before. "The Odds" certainly has the 'oddest' entrance - the Hobbit comes to mind! Go straight from the untarmacked car park into the rustic reception at ground level, DOWN a red carpeted stairway or use the self-operated lift (I did) to be greeted probably by a "Gurt big fellow" - your host and owner, apparently - and magnificent wall-to-wall, floor to ceiling views of the Cornish downs just a few miles out of Newquay. It's tastefully furnished, modern but comfortable. There was an interesting menu, with some unusual combinations and sensible prices, and a long wine list. This level of affordable dining plus masses of off-road parking are hard to find in this coastal area of Cornwall. It was very quiet the mid-week night we went but deserves to get well known. Not found anything like this in all the years we've gone to Cornwall. Will certainly go again next time we're down there.

2  Thank LJBlackpool