All reviews private beach sub tropical gardens fabulous gardens bream tree ferns valley room coastal path gardens leading cream tea fudge lovely hotel rock pools dog friendly hotel hotel experience the entire hotel lovely beach mawnan smith
Reviewed 26 August 2018

Rocked up midday, hot and tired from a hike from Helford Passage in the July 2018 heatwave. What an oasis. Magical walk up from the coast through the incredibly beautiful gardens and a warm welcome from the staff, who rustled up a the best ever fish and chips (melt-in-the-mouth cod and chunky chips).

Can't wait to return.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

We couldn’t fault this hotel. It’s our third visit and the staff, to a person, exemplify customer service. My wife is vegetarian and the menu choice was first class. Our room was a valley room and I really do have to commend the cleaning staff who, even though working in the hotel at full occupancy were friendly and helpful. Don’t change Meudon Hotel. If it isn’t broken, and it isn’t, there’s no need to fix anything! Well done!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
gaye w, Owner at Meudon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Dear David thank you so much for your lovely review. Don't change Meudon - we are always striving to be better than we currently are!!

Reviewed 27 July 2018

Magical. Our son had his wedding at Meudon and quite frankly everything was perfect. The hosting was personal and welcoming, The location for a wedding or a long weekend we don't think could be surpassed. The humanist wedding ceremony was held in the beautiful formal gardens and after a delightful cornish tea guests meandered through the gardens to the private cove. We then devoured a most delicious wedding breakfast of local produce prepared and presented with skill, not an easy feat for a wedding meal.The evening continued throughout to the sounds of a local band and traditional cornish dancing before feasting on pasties when the rather younger than us went on to dance the night away.We stayed in the cottage which was perfect for our family, yes years since I've seen a nest of tables but utterly charming and such a change from bland , beige corporate rooms. A unique hotel hidden away in beautiful surroundings. Thank you all for a wonderful time.

Date of stay: May 2018
gaye w, Owner at Meudon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Thank you for your lovely comments and review. We enjoyed your wedding weekend - everyone it would appear had fun. We look forward to welcoming you again to Meudon perhaps pop in on your own for a nice retreat holiday.

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

We had a last-minute (booked on the day) 3 night stay - an idyllic visit where we were able to completely switch off from daily life.

The style is simple and a little on the quaint side but this is the Meudon - am unfussy, friendly family hotel where you feel like a very valued guest, and staff go out of their way to make sure you have a wonderful time. We especially enjoyed afternoon tea in the garden and some keenly priced fine wine with dinner. The beach at the end of the Gardens is well off the tourist track (no vehicle access) and lovely for families - rock pools, sand, small enough to allow kids to range free without losing them). The hotel was spotless throughout.

Especially recommended for couples or single travellers (there’s a separate cottage that would suit families) for a tranquil stay away from it all.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank turnturn
gaye w, Owner at Meudon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Thank you. Meudon is a very special place, a real retreat in a busy modern world!

Reviewed 16 July 2018

My partner and I arrived initially for a 3 night stay in what we believed to be an outstanding 4* hotel, at least according to their delightful website. On arrival, we were shown to room 26. The room is one of their 'unrefurbished ones'...sadly, the website didn't mention this at £180/night. It was nothing like any of the rooms on the site -bare, a phone from the 1970's, not a picture anywhere, a radiator slapped in paint. Not a treat, more like a place you 'endure'. That night we endured plywood walls and every possible sound from the rooms above and below. You could hear someone breath 10m away. At 11pm I went for a shave, lifted the plug to let out some of my partners water from the sink, and I was met with a mass of hairs...they were a mix of white and green slime. At this point, I ran my hand over the bathroom shelf and grabbed a nice sheen of dust. Thankfully, after a 350 miles journey, my partner was asleep, dead to the world. I however, decided to head to the car and save myself from the endless banging and noises of ancient plumbing from the neighbours. The next morning we left and couldn't get away faster. We were refunded out money, the lady at the reception admitting they 'should really call the room a budget room'... blimey, for £180/nt b and b. We left feeling that we had paid for one thing and received something entirely different. I did receive a polite email from the owner offering a free night in a (presumably) nicer suite at a date of our choosing. You couldn't pay me to return. But I do have some nice (?) photographs.

Room tip: Ask if the room has been refurbished, or steer well clear. Room 26 is not advised for £180 a night.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cornwall2018a
gaye w, Owner at Meudon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience at Meudon. WE did of course refund your money and I did offer you a free night and of course we would have moved you to another room. It was such a shame that we were unable to sort something out whilst you were with us. My apologies.