All reviews separate shower cubicle small gym garden room leisure facilities bit dated swimming pool comfortable sofas bar menu huge room bunk beds clean hotel coach party on arrival lovely hotel walk into town quiet location waiting staff
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Got upgraded to a garden room which was fantastic, large room fully furnished. Food very good and value for money.
Areas look a bit dated and could do with modernising, loose the big chairs as it looked like an old peoples home. Could be made to be a very good hotel
Loved our break and will go back

Room Tip: Loved the garden room
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2017

I have just returned from Cornwall after a holiday at the Penmore Hotel, Falmouth. The hotel was excellent. My room was obviously recently decorated and comfortable and clean. The food was excellent and the waiting staff in the restaurant were very attentive and efficient. The portions of food provided at meals were very generous and the food was hot and served on hot plates. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the car park which was very quiet but I had to remember to draw down the blind to provide privacy!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Nothing really to complain about, though the damp stained blind in the bathroom looked particularly grim at night. The room was okay, a little old, a little cramped, but it was clean enough, and the shower was decent, even if the shower curtain did try to lovingly embrace me during my shower, something that gives me the shudders.

The staff couldn't try hard enough at breakfast, and the mushrooms were great, but otherwise breakfast was a bit of a disappointment, not as good quality as it could be.

We didn't try the pool, but it looked nice through a window!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Jsygurl
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Great location and a lovely old building.

Friendly front desk and housekeeping staff, quality of breakfast very good, but we were disappointed with the overall value for money. The room decor was in our view outdated and tired.

The fitness centre was also outdated but it was a nice surprise to have somewhere to workout.

I think the Penmere should take a look at its decor, it wouldn't take much to bring this lovely hotel up to date

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2017

I recently stopped for one night at the Penmere Hotel in Falmouth with my parents. We were stopping over night as we had driven from the midlands to visit my uncle and his family who live only a short walk from the hotel. We stayed before about ten years ago and I am very sorry to say it hasn't changed but not in a good way!

Let me start with the positives...

The staff were all lovely and polite and we really felt sorry for them because the hotel was so dead there were barely any staff being employed. The gardens and outer grounds to the hotel were beautiful and very well maintained so the approach to the hotel was great. We had a meal in the evening in the bar, this was very tired and mismatched with tables and had NO ambiance what so ever although the food was very good we thought that was such as shame as the chef seemed to be good at his job but with only 10 people to cook for was wasted. The food was very overpriced and the meal for three of us ( 1 starter, catch of the day and chips *haddock which they did very well to catch* Gammon and chips, 2 desserts and 2 glasses of wine you get the picture came to £100.00!

However... on entering the hotel it became apparent that it was once a thing of splendor and now sad, tired and neglected. The decor is very dated and in desperate need of modernisation. Everything is tired from the faded curtains to the stained carpets. Our rooms were really dreadful. How they maintain three stars I cannot see. There is a distinctive smell of musty old furniture and dust. My room was a double and very basic. I cannot complain about the overall cleanliness it was obvious they had made an effort to keep things clean as best they could when working with rooms well past their best. The seat and carpet were tea stained where long past guests has split their drinks. My headboard was very faded and dated and I wouldn't have been surprised if moths had flown out of the wardrobe when I opened it. My bathroom (although very clean) smelt of damp and had no expel air. It did have a large window however you couldn't open it whilst using the bathing facilities as my window was directly on the main approach to reception.

My parents stopped in the Garden room, this really was dreadful. The furniture was tired, faded and miss matched. There were two hideous bright red pleather sofas both were cracking and flaking. This was also supposed to be a family room so two bunk beds folded down from the wall, they were both very dated and patched together, I honestly would have been worried about my children falling out! Again the carpets were faded and stained. The bed so my Mother told me smelt of urine (unfortunately the only other guests we ever saw were a coach party of very elderly people.

Due to nature of our trip we didn't use the leisure facilities so cannot comment on these.

It is so sad to see what has the potential to be a stunning, special hotel looking so run down and still charging ALOT of money to stop there. I think they need to call The Hotel Inspector ASAP.

Room Tip: Avoid Garden Room
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family