All reviews pocket sprung full english eggs benedict maple syrup central location owners were friendly comfortable bed maritime museum great shower some tlc overlooking the harbour plenty of hot water superb location enjoyed my stay following morning attention to detail breakfast was delicious
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Perhaps the worst hotel we have ever stayed in considering the price!
Tatty carpets, paint spilt on carpets, outside a tip. Furniture bought from a car boot sale?
What concerns me is the people who think it’s excellent.
The view from the room was excellent but did they not notice the filthy mouldy shower and the missing toilet roll holder?
Checking in was a challenge; no one there at 2pm, 3pm or 4pm. Finally found someone at 5pm.
Don’t waste your money on this dump

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brooky52
Reviewed 25 May 2018

Definitely not recommended: The cigarette ends and filthy steps leading up to the entrance should have been enough to turn me off. Dark and dingy reception and bar area. Dusty dirty sticky carpets. Rooms not ready, £80 to include breakfast -well, there is no way we were going to eat there. The bathroom was relatively clean and as far as I could tell, the bed sheets had been changed...but with such low standards elsewhere you never know.
I made a big mistake booking this. I would have walk out there and then but they had my card details already and I don't know where I would stand if, after inspection, I'd refused to stay. Next time I will read the reviews before I book

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank David S
Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

I don't usually write reviews but had to warn people of probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

First the good bits.......

Now the bad bits
Cigarette ends all over the entrance
Dark dinghy smelly entrance
Owner had to check if rooms were ready at 5.30pm???????
While he was doing that had a look in the bar area. Dirty cups on tables paint peeling, just grotty looking.
Bedroom
Hold tight here we go......
Carpets old, unhoovered, threadbare with the added bonus of the previous ocupants toenail by the side of the bed......classy!!
Again peeling paint
The dust......oh the dust.....oh look more dust........and some more.
Did I mention the dust!!
Can't comment on the breakfast, wasn't brave enough!
Don't stay here, protect your health and stay somewhere else.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank KevinC6675
Reviewed 16 April 2018

I’ve been returning (on business) to the Townhouse for the best part of 10 years. From the warm welcome afforded by Paul and his team to the cool draft beers on tap, to the generous sized bedrooms and the large, modern en-suite bathrooms, the Townhouse has it all. The sea view rooms in particular are delightful and a great nights sleep is all but guaranteed thanks to the extremely comfortable pocket sprung mattresses. Parking is ever so easy as the hotel sits opposite Discovery Quay and overnight costs just £1.50. But the best part of the stay is the breakfast. A traditional full English using locally sourced ingredients and guaranteed to satisfy the hungriest of appetites. All in all great value for money and a whole lot more interesting than your generic premier inn.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2018

We didn't have the greatest welcome, dark, gloomy reception area and public rooms that have a "school common room" feel. No one about. Eventually (as we were leaving a note) the owner came down the stairs and told us that our rooms were not ready (an hour after they were due to be) and instructed us to go and have a cup of tea. No apology.

Rooms were clean and comfortable but the furniture is faded and some broken and carpets are tatty and need updating. The heating (on a cold weekend in February) only came on at 5pm so the hotel was chilly. View over a grotty flat roof from the room at the back of the hotel - needs attention!

Great location overlooking the harbour and a large car park and a short distance from shops and restaurants. The breakfast was great! The friendly chef (who also acted as receptionist and waiter in the morning) cooked fabulous food to order including catering for a vegan and vegetarian and made the best hollandaise sauce.

With a bit of updating and TLC this could be a really great hotel but isn't quite there at the moment and we wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family