“The perfect place to take wonderful memories home...”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
rebecca_h...
Swindon, United Kingdom
“The perfect place to take wonderful memories home with you!”
Reviewed 24 October 2017 for a stay in October 2017

Many – so many thanks for everything.
We enjoyed our stay in your lovely house. The family had a very good time.
We hope to see you again next year.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
26 Oct 2017
Many thanks,
I look forward to seeing you next year.
Terri
lizzie t
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Full of surprises”
Reviewed 25 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017

This lovely Victorian house has been divided into two semis . The bedrooms are : 1 in the basement , 1on the ground floor , 2 on the first floor & 3 on the second floor . The kitchen & breakfast room which we mostly used are in the basement & there are 48 steps from there up to the top 3 bedrooms . The basement bedroom is void of a door on the ensuite so no privacy if sharing. The stairs down are very narrow , they appear to be carpeted stone steps so tricky with slippers & a challenge for anybody with a slight mobility problem.
This may be a comfortable house to stay but it is not luxury accommodation , very dated , frayed towels & rug .
We found the mismatch of mugs very stained & purchased 'denture cleaner ' to eventually clean them . The china was cracked & chipped & the tea towels smelt of rotten eggs . An electric kettle & vegetable steamer would be a great asset to the kitchen . The Aga is ok if you don't mind casseroles every night . Good for toast though !
We also had water leaking from ceilings in two rooms . No bottle of wine as a gesture for the inconvenience but a charge of £5 to return a small parcel costing £2.10 in postage . Very disappointing .

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
27 Sep 2017
Thank you Lizzie for your review.
Before departure this guest asked me to give her a price to stay in 2018 as they would like to return to No.38.
All my guests receive a detailed information pack as to the layout of No.38 before their arrival. Bed Rooms are made up as to guest’s requests.
The Booking Form , which guests sign when making a booking, lists charges made for postage of goods left behind. Postage of £5 includes my time going to the post office, wrapping paper and postage. I do not charge for small accidents and breakages. In this instance I did not charge for the lovely glass bowl which the guests broke.
This guest arrived in a party of 6 senior citizens wanting 6 double en-suite rooms – one large en-suite room each for a stay of 10 nights. I gave them a 50% discount.
Upon their arrival I was told that they might all change rooms after a couple of nights and would want their bed linen changing! They explained that they would only eat breakfast at No.38 as they intended to eat all their other meals out. They did not need to know how to use the Aga.
I visited these guests the day after their arrival to help them plan their stay and to ensure that they had a good time. They explained that the tea towels must have been put into the draw damp as they smelt mouldy. I agreed with the guests – took them away and they were replaced with fresh t- towels.
I saw these guests before departure and they told me that they had all had a wonderful stay at No.38.
When I returned the guests deposit minus £5 for returning slippers and shoe insoles, I received a telephone call wanting to know why £5 had been deducted from their deposit. I explained why and received verbal abuse with the threat of a post being put on the web.
carshalton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2017 for a stay in August 2017

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
3 Sep 2017
Thank you J for your review.
It was a pleasure having you stay at No.38.
Have a good year.
Terri
Jacquelin...
Wigan
“Faded Glory”
Reviewed 4 February 2017 for a stay in December 2016
people found this review helpful

A lovely Victorian house in a pleasant area of Chester a short walk from the city centre. We had booked for one week at Christmas for a family celebration for two 70th birthdays. We had problems booking as the site was hacked, and someone in Asia wanted payment immediately, but we were very suspicious and phoned the owner and sorted it out, so nothng lost.
The house is advertised as luzury accomodation but it had some faded rooms, cracks in the ceiling in the upstairs rooms, and frayed and threadbare carpet in places. The beds were really comfortable and everything was very clean. The AGA was lovely but there was a mishmash of cups, mugs and plates in the kitchen and the house seemed geared up to be a B & B rather than a holiday let. The boiler broke down on Christmas day but it was a simple matter to rectify, and these things happen.
Sadly the owner double- booked us for one night, with a party wanting to come for the New Year.. We agreed to leave one day early, feeling sorry for the orher party, and the owner gave us £100 in compensation saying that we got a good deal at £1950 for the week, and anyway she only let it out for a six day week at Christmas. If you book this house look at the different sites as prices vary.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
5 Feb 2017
Hello Again Jacqueline,
Thank you for your review.
Yes, the lovely old ceilings on the top floor were constructed in 1880 of wattle. I have resisted taking them down and replacing them for about 2 years. However, guests will be pleased to know that they were taken down in January and replaced with new materials. They look superb - but I do miss my old character and aged ceilings.
Yes, I advertise on about six different sites. Each site has their own administrative charges. Fortunately, for people who book directly with me, they avoid paying an additional agency cost.
The dining room seats twelve, and in that room their are matching place settings for 12 people. As explained to all guests on their arrival, my well equipped kitchen holds everything one needs for cooking and serving food, plus additional crockery and cutlery, which I call my "oddments area". I am sure that all households do not throw away their crockery and cutlery because it does not match!
I wish you happy house renting in your future.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing